Started by CountDeMoney, June 04, 2012, 10:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Scipio on June 06, 2012, 03:49:51 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 06, 2012, 01:49:29 PM
Quote from: Scipio on June 06, 2012, 01:26:56 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 05, 2012, 01:26:36 PM
Quote from: Scipio on June 05, 2012, 01:19:43 PM
Working for yourself, for fuckssakes.  Where's the entrepreneurial spirit?  Whining see-you-next-Tuesdays!

Oh how I wish I could mention some stuff from The Back Room, Mr. "I'm an entrepeneur". :contract:
I am proof that anyone, no matter how crappy a businessman, can succeed as an entrepreneur.  But you are proof that a Ukrainian, no matter how successful, can't spell 'entrepreneur.'

I would say more, but I feel bound by the TBR Oath of Secrecy. -_-
Whatever.  I release you, so you can unleash your rhetorical hounds.

Since Beeb isn't here:

You work for the fucking government, Mr. Gekko.

I'm pretty sure that's how he would've put it. :P  It just happens to be the same way I'd put it, because I think I know him well enough to say that Beeb is also appalled that you, champion of private industry that you are, work for the state, while I work for a giant corporation. :lol:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Habbaku

Scip only partly works for the gummint, though.  As far as I know, he maintains his private practice.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Working for yourself, for fuckssakes.  Where's the entrepreneurial spirit?  Whining see-you-next-Tuesdays!

Oh how I wish I could mention some stuff from The Back Room, Mr. "I'm an entrepeneur". :contract:
I am proof that anyone, no matter how crappy a businessman, can succeed as an entrepreneur.  But you are proof that a Ukrainian, no matter how successful, can't spell 'entrepreneur.'

For being the proud Captain of Private Industry, you seemed pretty fucking desperate to latch onto the sweet, sweet government teet when given the option.

Not that there's anythign wrong with that - of course.  Just don't put yourself out there as some kind of paragon of entrepreneureal spirit, is all.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

But he doesn't do that for money, he does that for power... Which he can then misuse later for even more money :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ideologue

Quote from: Barrister on June 07, 2012, 12:09:46 AM

For being the proud Captain of Private Industry, you seemed pretty fucking desperate to latch onto the sweet, sweet government teet when given the option.

Not that there's anythign wrong with that - of course.  Just don't put yourself out there as some kind of paragon of entrepreneureal spirit, is all.

Wow, I was actually pretty close. :lol:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DGuller

That's par for the course.  Hans rails on the government all the time, but that doesn't prevent him from holding six jobs in it.

katmai

Quote from: DGuller on June 07, 2012, 01:51:46 AM
That's par for the course.  Hans rails on the government all the time, but that doesn't prevent him from holding six jobs in it.

That's what happens when you keep firing your commanders.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Martinus

Quote from: DGuller on June 06, 2012, 01:43:37 PM
Quote from: Berkut on June 06, 2012, 10:05:45 AM
Yeah, while I certainly am concerned about the lack of jobs, it isn't really a matter of luck.
It's definitely not all a matter of luck, but to say there is no luck involved is the height of hubris.  There is luck involved in being good at things that are in demand, there is luck involved in graduating during a boom economy, there is unfortunately a lot of luck in the interviewing process, etc, etc. 

Yes, if you're a genius with no serious flaws, you probably won't ever stay unemployed for long.  However, we can't all be at the top of the field, and the success level of people in the middle can hinge greatly on having a moment of good fortune at the right time.  On average, the economy is made up of average people.

There is also luck involved in simply being in the right place at the right time. I would probably not have applied for a summer trainee programme at my law firm had I not met my future boss who was one of the judges at a moot court competition I participated in - and he told me to apply. Twelve years on I am being considered for partnership at the same firm, even though I used to think I would never cut it out in the corporate world and wanted to go into academia instead before that competition.

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on June 06, 2012, 03:16:48 PMSince becoming a plumber means having to work with feces on a regular basis I suspect it will always be an in-demand job...

This, metaphorically, works for being a lawyer too. :P

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on June 06, 2012, 03:14:16 PM
Quote from: DGuller on June 06, 2012, 01:43:37 PM
Quote from: Berkut on June 06, 2012, 10:05:45 AM
Yeah, while I certainly am concerned about the lack of jobs, it isn't really a matter of luck.
It's definitely not all a matter of luck, but to say there is no luck involved is the height of hubris.  There is luck involved in being good at things that are in demand, there is luck involved in graduating during a boom economy, there is unfortunately a lot of luck in the interviewing process, etc, etc. 

Yes, if you're a genius with no serious flaws, you probably won't ever stay unemployed for long.  However, we can't all be at the top of the field, and the success level of people in the middle can hinge greatly on having a moment of good fortune at the right time.  On average, the economy is made up of average people.

There is also this: job fields are like investments, in that following the common wisdom leads to being victimized by boom/bust cycles.  Sure, right now, being a plumber is in demand, but it won't be forever if it is widely seen as a good job to go into.

Same happened with law. Used to be, become a lawyer, get a high-paying job ... which led to a lot of people becomming lawyers. Suddenly, it isn't so easy to get a job as one.

I am not sure about that. Sure, it seems so on the face value, but there have always been tons of lawyers around - but good lawyers are actually quite hard to find. We get tons of applications from young graduates but most of them prove sub-par, whether intellectually or because they are simply not willing to work hard enough. I think a lot of people in the 2000s went into lawyering thinking it is big but also easy money. It can be big but you also need to work your ass off and sacrifice a lot in terms of personal life, quality of life and personal health. Otherwise you are just a glorified clerk.

Edit: I think the thing was that, at least in Poland, 1990s was the first decade where high flying lawyers actually started earning really big buck. So people started to look at them and go into law to earn the same money. But it's a bit like professional sports or acting - the people who earn a lot of money are really the top tier 1% - the rest do not really earn that much.

Admiral Yi

Marty, I always thought your great stroke of good fortune was your parents decision to get you private English lessons, resulting in you being one of three English-speaking Polish lawyers when the Wall came down.

Richard Hakluyt

There is a tremendous amount of luck involved, being born in modern times in countries like the USA or the UK is a huge piece of luck for example.

Having been dealt one's cards, however, the hand can be played well or badly.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 07, 2012, 03:04:15 AM
There is a tremendous amount of luck involved, being born in modern times in countries like the USA or the UK is a huge piece of luck for example.

Having been dealt one's cards, however, the hand can be played well or badly.

That's right.  How many of you fuckers could've survived being born female in Mali? 
Well, maybe Ide.  Fucker's skinny enough.  Would probably have won the Boston Marathon.

Scipio

Quote from: Barrister on June 07, 2012, 12:09:46 AM

I never said I was a Captain of Private Industry; I said that I could make a living.  Did I get a part-time government job?  Absolutely.  I've got three part time jobs because my wife and I plan to be debt-free, including the mortgage, within seven years.

I'm sorry that I have to work to get ahead.  But I've never not worked since I was in high school.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

CountDeMoney

And it's not like Scip is working down at the local Medicare office;  he's wielding the velvet gauntlet of justice.