D: France
1 (2.1%)
D: England
2 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Martinus

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josephus on June 16, 2012, 02:35:26 PM
Greece scored. Lead 1-0. If they win they qualify, regardless of what happens in the other game. At least if I did my calculus right.
http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/news/newsid=1818000.html
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Poland is getting its ass kicked.

Meanwhile, a high ranking Polish ex-military-general (creator of the Polish anti-terrorist forces who later fell out of favor with the government) shoots himself right before the match. If someone was trying to make sure people were not paying attention, it was a perfect moment.  :secret:

Martinus

Looks like Czechs and Greeks advance. At least Russians don't. :P

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

FunkMonk

Group A  :lmfao:

Russia  :lmfao: :lmfao:

Watching all the Russians go completely nuts in the stadium as they lost was worth these two hours.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Zanza

Quote from: alfred russel on June 16, 2012, 03:38:52 PM
So...what has to happen for Greece to play Germany?
Germany has to draw or win against Denmark.

Martinus

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 16, 2012, 03:42:25 PM

Watching all the Russians go completely nuts in the stadium as they lost was worth these two hours.

Heh, Czechs did an awesome comeback from losing 4:1 to Russia in the first match and then slowly crawling back to the first spot. Same with Greeks.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Martinus on June 16, 2012, 03:44:01 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on June 16, 2012, 03:42:25 PM

Heh, Czechs did an awesome comeback from losing 4:1 to Russia in the first match and then slowly crawling back to the first spot. Same with Greeks.

I like the Czechs and admire the pluckiness of the Greeks. Fun results overall.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josephus

Under the older "traditional" goal difference rules, the Russians would have qualified. Greece advances despite having a worse GA than Russia.

Now tomorrow, its not so cut and dry I think. The scores in both games may have a bearing on who qualifies.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

One more thing, and I'll shut up.

Was watching the end of the Poland game, seeing Poland try hard to score and I thought it would be ironic if Poland scored and in so doing put Russia through into the next round. :D
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Martinus

Group A to me is almost a morality play - everyone got what they deserved.

Poles and Russians were proud, loud and jingoistic, dismissive of the "weaker" Greece and Czech Republic, and focusing on beating each other, whether in the playing field or in the streets of Warsaw. They got their "honorable" tie which is all they really cared about.

Greeks and Czechs were humble and modest, and came back to the front because they focused on what was important, i.e. advancing from the group stage. And they both got it.

Martinus

Not to mention, to orchestrate a beautiful charge (Blaszczykowski's score in the game with Russia), but fail to win a single battle, and then completely lose the war - it's the quintessential Polish m.o. :P

If God was giving out points for "presentation and style", Poland would be a superpower. We are just bad at mundane stuff, like scoring points.

Syt

If Germany draws at least a tie today they'll clinch Group B - meaning they'll meet Greece in the next round. That should be fun. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.