0 (0%)
D: France
1 (2.1%)
D: England
2 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on June 13, 2012, 04:40:41 PM
I suddenly feel a gap in my knowledge of ethnic slurs.  Besides arab, what does one call a maltese in order to insult them?

You have to understand the context for that. The Maltese language and much of its traditional culture is very Arabic. Our towns and cities, Sliema, Mdina, Zebbug, are Arabic. [the capital city, VAlletta, of course, is the exception, but tha city was built by the Knights. ] And they're very self-conscious about this kinship they share with the Arabs (its proximity to North Africa as well)  and want to be European.
Everything Arabic is considered, rightly, dirty. So the worst insult you can throw on the people, collectively, anyways, is to call them Arabs.

Another ethnicity we also hate are the Turks. We still hate them for the Great Siege. A common Maltese "curse word" is Haqq-it-Torok".....blame the Turks, or more poignantly, fuck the Turks.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

By the way are the Dutch going to implode now?  Robben's strop was...striking.
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 13, 2012, 08:10:47 PM
By the way are the Dutch going to implode now?  Robben's strop was...striking.

They've been imploding since the first minute of the Denmark game.  :nelson:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Josephus

Don't rule dutch out yet. They beat porto by 2 and Germany win then they go through .
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

Josephus:

I think Beeb's point was that calling a Malt an Arab is very obvious, while there's nothing else that comes to mind.

Perhaps the only country in the world where being called a Sicilian would be taken as a compliment.  :hmm:

Maladict

Well that sucked. Our defense was unbelievably weak, even by Dutch standards.
Now Germany has to beat Denmark and we need to beat Portugal with a 2-goal margin.
Should be easy, no?  :(

Syt

Queen Beatrix prepares for the homecoming of the Dutch team.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Croats prove they are biggest savages at the championship. What a surprise.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Martinus

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

DGuller