News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languish's church attendence

Started by Lettow77, May 06, 2012, 05:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How often do you attend some religious service?

Weekly
4 (5.4%)
At least once a month
5 (6.8%)
For special occasions, i.e Easter
13 (17.6%)
No church attendance
48 (64.9%)
Jaron will be sustained by the Quorum of Twelve
4 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Darth Wagtaros

I try to go to Mass once a month or so.  I tried going with some friends to their megachurch but it felt like an hour long infomercial.  Creepy.
PDH!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on May 06, 2012, 07:31:11 PM
I have to say that Catholic Masses are WAY more tolerable than evangelical Protestant services.

My two knocks against the Papists are that constant standing up and kneeling BS, and the fact that Catholics are all tone deaf.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 06, 2012, 07:37:46 PM
I try to go to Mass once a month or so.  I tried going with some friends to their megachurch but it felt like an hour long infomercial.  Creepy.
People here have tried to get me to go to Southeast Christian a few times, which is the local megachurch.  UM, NO.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

I still await the Big Butter Jesus rebuilding.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 06, 2012, 07:34:51 PM
I do love a fire and brimstone speech by some old cracker baptist preacher. The younger preachers just don't have it.

A good friend of mine's father passed away recently, and I attended the service for him at your typical older-congregation-inner-city Dazzling Urbanite Baptist church;  I tell you, there may have been a dead guy in the room, but it was a total blast.  It wasn't a funeral service, it was a celebration.  The usher corp doing their little processional march, the choir singing the relaxer right out of their collective hair, the Minister dropping that bass in his voice while hurtling himself towards the crescendo.  There's a certain hypnotic cadence and rhythm to it, you just can't help but groove to it. 

And the hats....girl, do the ladies break out their hats.

I'm tell you all, seriously:  if you ever feel down and out in life, man, you go sit in on an old-school black Baptist church service (avoid the AME ones though, they don't count).  It is, quite frankly, invigorating in every sense of the word.  And they don't give two shits what color you are, you are all Jesus' chillins.

Lettow77

From the churches i've been to at least three times, my personal preference would break down thus:

Lutheran (Missouri synod!)
Catholic
White Folks Southern Baptist
Mormon (Those places feel very awkward...)
Assembly of God

Of these, I've been to Catholic service by far the most, to please the former missus's mother, who I hold in extremely high regard. I stepped into a mainline methodist one, and was a little depressed by its pluralism. Catholics have the best accessories, but Lutherans have an aura of serious study of their religious text detatched from the passions you'll find in a Baptist church that I find really appealing. I suppose it'd please my roommate if I converted.. :wub:
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Jaron

Why do you feel awkward, Lettow? PM me if you want to talk about it. I have some literature I could share with you.

If you'd prefer, you can also go to http://mormon.org/chat/ and live chat with the missionaries.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 06, 2012, 07:38:25 PM
Quote from: Caliga on May 06, 2012, 07:31:11 PM
I have to say that Catholic Masses are WAY more tolerable than evangelical Protestant services.

My two knocks against the Papists are that constant standing up and kneeling BS, and the fact that Catholics are all tone deaf.

The kneeling is a pain.  Think of it as an impromptu aerobics class.  I don't go as often as I should on account of being afraid of people.  I also attribute my dislike of alcohol to Catholic Mass.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jaron on May 06, 2012, 08:11:24 PM
Why do you feel awkward, Lettow? PM me if you want to talk about it. I have some literature I could share with you.

If you'd prefer, you can also go to http://mormon.org/chat/ and live chat with the missionaries.

:D

Are you going to pull the trigger bra, buy the pants?  Or have you already pulled the trigger?

Sophie Scholl

Weddings, funerals, and Christmas Eve to make my mom happy.  I was forced to go every Sunday till my sister left for college when I was 16, so I have a lot of resentment and hatred toward the concept.  Add in that my dad never had to go except on Christmas Eve, and you have a lot of missed football and church freedom bonding.  I think it should be the individual's choice, not forced upon them.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Lettow77

Quote from: Jaron on May 06, 2012, 08:11:24 PM

Because, like you said, it is unprofessional people giving witness to their testimonies. They are nice people, but not especially good orators. Then they immediately violate my notion of what is too personal with their stories. Afterwards, there is the division into gender/age bracket determined groups- I remember the aaronic section was basically a labor conscription pool, with various tasks that people in the community needed done being handed off to "volunteers." Bleh. Also, their namby-pamby psuedo-sacrament was proffered upon me, when I couldn't in good conscience accept it.

I remember when I was younger I invited missionaries to come to my house. My mother was furious and uncivil with them- and a passing baptist who had intended to sell (!) religious papers to us gave them for free out of concern for my soul and a desire not to leave the mormon pamphlets go unanswered.

Missionaries the way Mormonism does it just doesn't click with me. They are just children raised into the faith, and scarcely qualified to be doing what they are doing. It is as much to indoctrinate them as it actually proselytize

Ara ara! did that sound cynical? I don't mean to be mean- they are some great folks and I think highly of their faith.

It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Jaron

As terribly comfortable as those look, I'll stick to my bikini style boxer briefs.

Furthermore, the garments help keep your thoughts pure. No man wonders what a woman has on under her clothes if he already knows. These garments are meant to replace the modern style of underwear - which is often sexualized and entices the minds of men with sheer fabrics, bright colors, or revealing patterns.

Jaron

PS: I sort of dig the banana hammock on the male temple garment.

DGuller