Breaking News - Gun Attack On French Jewish School Kills 4

Started by mongers, March 19, 2012, 08:11:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on March 22, 2012, 10:49:49 AM

Yes, technically he was a French citizen.  But that's less relevant to the story than the fact that he was an Islamist of Alergian descent with ties to al-Quaeda.

Why is ethnic background more relevant then citizenship?  What sort of ties did he have to Al-Quaeda?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on March 22, 2012, 10:56:32 AM
Why is ethnic background more relevant then citizenship?

Because your typical plain vanilla Frenchman is not that interested in killing Jewish toddlers to avenge Israeli treatment of Palestinians or killing French troops to avenge French involvement in Afghanistan.

derspiess

Quote from: derspiess on March 22, 2012, 10:49:49 AM

Yes, technically he was a French citizen.  But that's less relevant to the story than the fact that he was an Islamist of Alergian descent with ties to al-Quaeda.

Why is ethnic background more relevant then citizenship?  What sort of ties did he have to Al-Quaeda?

From what I read, he trained with them.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 22, 2012, 11:21:31 AM
Why is ethnic background more relevant then citizenship?

Because your typical plain vanilla Frenchman is not that interested in killing Jewish toddlers to avenge Israeli treatment of Palestinians or killing French troops to avenge French involvement in Afghanistan.

Europeans kill Jews for all sorts of reasons including Israeli treatment of Palestinians.  Remember that Israeli airliner hijacking in the 1970's that went to Uganda?  Some of the Hijackers were Germans.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on March 22, 2012, 11:27:39 AM
Europeans kill Jews for all sorts of reasons including Israeli treatment of Palestinians.  Remember that Israeli airliner hijacking in the 1970's that went to Uganda?  Some of the Hijackers were Germans.

Why is the ethnicity of those hijackers important Raz?

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on March 22, 2012, 10:54:36 AM
Why is  crazy?  Is religious fundamentalism the domain of right wingers in this country or not?  If this crazy notion speaks for itself, perhaps someone else can come in and tell me.  Since, as it speaks for itself anyone should be able to tell me what it means.

Since you're being all cute & generically referring to "religious fundamentalism", I'll say not.  *Christian* fundamentalists tend toward the right, but I fail to see how Christian fundamentalists in the US are relevant to a topic about an Islamist terrorist in France.

I like you, but sometimes you get so desperately partisan it becomes irritating.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 22, 2012, 11:21:31 AM
But the motive's not mentioned in the first sentence either.  Both that and his Algerian descent are later in the article where they're actually discussing the killer.  And I think you need the two to make sense.  If you're saying he's Algerian but don't mention that his motive is somehow linked to Islam (if he was, say, just a mental) then I don't think you're adding much and if you  mention the motive without the Algerian descent then, I agree, it's misleading.

That first line could be either reported from what the Interior Minister's said, or it's just establishing what happened, the resolution of this siege and manhunt before going back over it including details of the killer, his motive and the siege building back to where we started.

So they don't call him a Frenchman and leave it at that, but not putting it in the very first paragraph is insufficient? :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 22, 2012, 11:29:36 AM

Why is the ethnicity of those hijackers important Raz?

For someone who doesn't like answering my questions, you sure ask a lot of them.  I of course was only mentioning their citizenship.  Of course pointing out that they were vanilla Euros does contradict your statement, so that's good too.

derspiess

Do you think they were also rightwingers?  :P

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on March 22, 2012, 11:30:26 AM
Why is  crazy?  Is religious fundamentalism the domain of right wingers in this country or not?  If this crazy notion speaks for itself, perhaps someone else can come in and tell me.  Since, as it speaks for itself anyone should be able to tell me what it means.

Since you're being all cute & generically referring to "religious fundamentalism", I'll say not.  *Christian* fundamentalists tend toward the right, but I fail to see how Christian fundamentalists in the US are relevant to a topic about an Islamist terrorist in France.

I like you, but sometimes you get so desperately partisan it becomes irritating.

Wait, you mean the difference between a right winger and a not right winger is in fact his religion?  Can Muslims not be right wing?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 22, 2012, 11:30:45 AM
So they don't call him a Frenchman and leave it at that, but not putting it in the very first paragraph is insufficient? :mellow:

As you can see I was responding to Raz's question about the relevance of citizenship and ethnicity.

Although personally I don't understand the point of leading with his citizenship.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on March 22, 2012, 11:35:09 AM

Wait, you mean the difference between a right winger and a not right winger is in fact his religion?  Can Muslims not be right wing?

:huh:

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on March 22, 2012, 11:33:20 AM

Do you think they were also rightwingers?  :P

Actually I think they were Marxists.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 22, 2012, 11:35:49 AM

Although personally I don't understand the point of leading with his citizenship.
My guess would be to establish that he's not Algerian.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on March 22, 2012, 11:36:30 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 22, 2012, 11:35:09 AM

:huh:

The difference seems to be the religion.  You say Christian fundamentalists tend toward the right wing.  You seem to be suggesting that this somehow excludes non-Christian fundamentalists.