Breaking News - Gun Attack On French Jewish School Kills 4

Started by mongers, March 19, 2012, 08:11:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on March 22, 2012, 08:59:13 AM
I like how they call him a "Frenchman" and leave it at that.  Like he was wearing a striped shirt & beret as he jumped out the window.

Jumping from the window, firing his semi-automatic baguette while flicking his cigarette ashes ostentatiously.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 22, 2012, 08:15:43 AM
QuoteTOULOUSE, France — A 23-year-old Frenchman who claimed responsibility for killing four men and three children died on Thursday after jumping from a window, still firing from a weapon in his hand, as security forces stormed the apartment where he had been holed up for more than 30 hours, Claude Guéant, the French interior minister, said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/23/world/europe/mohammed-merah-toulouse-shooting-suspect-french-police-standoff.html?hp

I like how they call him a "Frenchman" and leave it at that.  Like he was wearing a striped shirt & beret as he jumped out the window.

Frenchmen don't dress that way  though :secret: Tracksuit much more likely for the suburban crowd.
The French press reported his Algerian origins and so does this article later on.

QuoteA former garage mechanic of Algerian descent, Mr. Merah made two trips to Afghanistan and Pakistan in recent years, and said that he had been trained by Al Qaeda. Though Mr. Merah had initially indicated to negotiators that he hoped to live, Mr. Guéant told French radio earlier on Thursday he wanted "to die with weapons in his hands."

Razgovory

QuoteTOULOUSE, France — A 23-year-old Frenchman who claimed responsibility for killing four men and three children died on Thursday after jumping from a window, still firing from a weapon in his hand, as security forces stormed the apartment where he had been holed up for more than 30 hours, Claude Guéant, the French interior minister, said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/23/world/europe/mohammed-merah-toulouse-shooting-suspect-french-police-standoff.html?hp

What's wrong with that?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 22, 2012, 09:07:50 AM
Frenchmen don't dress that way  though :secret:

I'll make a note of that, thanks. 

QuoteTracksuit much more likely for the suburban crowd.

No, that's how Serbs dress :rolleyes:

QuoteThe French press reported his Algerian origins and so does this article later on.

QuoteA former garage mechanic of Algerian descent, Mr. Merah made two trips to Afghanistan and Pakistan in recent years, and said that he had been trained by Al Qaeda. Though Mr. Merah had initially indicated to negotiators that he hoped to live, Mr. Guéant told French radio earlier on Thursday he wanted "to die with weapons in his hands."

Okay, but they could have put some of that in the opening paragraph. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Tamas

Quote from: derspiess on March 22, 2012, 09:17:48 AM

That would imply he did the killings because of his religious views, and we just can't have that.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on March 22, 2012, 09:15:17 AM

What's wrong with that?

Gives a false impression of who the shooter is, whether or not it's technically correct. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 22, 2012, 09:07:50 AM
Frenchmen don't dress that way  though :secret:

I'll make a note of that, thanks. 

You're welcome ! :)

QuoteTracksuit much more likely for the suburban crowd.

QuoteNo, that's how Serbs dress :rolleyes:

If only :(

QuoteThe French press reported his Algerian origins and so does this article later on.

Well, it was reported from the very moment it was known. Relevant indeed and sadly, not surprising at all.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 22, 2012, 09:05:38 AM

Jumping from the window, firing his semi-automatic baguette while flicking his cigarette ashes ostentatiously.

Le Monde and others said it was a Kalashnikov, no bleu-blanc-rouge FAMAS, sorry.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 22, 2012, 09:46:03 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 22, 2012, 09:05:38 AM

Le Monde and others said it was a Kalashnikov, no bleu-blanc-rouge FAMAS, sorry.

lol, fucking FAMAS needs to be nerfed in BF3 anyhow.

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on March 22, 2012, 09:19:07 AM

That would imply he did the killings because of his religious views, and we just can't have that.

Algerians are not particularly religious. This seems more ethnic/culture/politics based than religious.

Likewise, IRA wasn't killing people because they (IRA) were catholic.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on March 22, 2012, 10:15:14 AM

Point of Order!  :mad:  *gavel gavel gavel*   :mad:

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on March 22, 2012, 10:15:14 AM
Algerians are not particularly religious. This seems more ethnic/culture/politics based than religious.

Well some Algerians are, just like it seems a sizeable minority of Tunisians are, and I would guess if you start calling yourself 'Mujahideen' it sorta raises some flags.

I mean if the IRA had called themselves 'Crusaders' it would have changed their dynamic a bit no?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on March 22, 2012, 09:19:51 AM

Gives a false impression of who the shooter is, whether or not it's technically correct.

How so?  The guy wasn't French?  You never did get back to me on that Fundamentalist thingy.  You want to elaborate on that?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on March 22, 2012, 10:26:33 AM
Quote from: derspiess on March 22, 2012, 09:19:51 AM

How so?  The guy wasn't French?

Yes, technically he was a French citizen.  But that's less relevant to the story than the fact that he was an Islamist of Alergian descent with ties to al-Quaeda.

QuoteYou never did get back to me on that Fundamentalist thingy.  You want to elaborate on that?

Elaborate on what?  Oh, you trying to claim that Islamic fundamentalists are right-wingers in the context of Western politics?  I'm okay with just letting that crazy notion speak for itself. 

Razgovory

Why is  crazy?  Is religious fundamentalism the domain of right wingers in this country or not?  If this crazy notion speaks for itself, perhaps someone else can come in and tell me.  Since, as it speaks for itself anyone should be able to tell me what it means.