Breaking News - Gun Attack On French Jewish School Kills 4

Started by mongers, March 19, 2012, 08:11:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on March 22, 2012, 11:36:49 AM
Actually I think they were Marxists.

So you're admitting they were leftwingers?  Hey, I think we're making some progress.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on March 22, 2012, 11:41:55 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 22, 2012, 11:36:49 AM
Actually I think they were Marxists.

So you're admitting they were leftwingers?  Hey, I think we're making some progress.

I never denied. :)
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Outside the US hard-core Catholics tend to be very lefty.  They're all about the social market and virtually want to reinstate the guild system.

Generally Islamists tend to be quite right-wing.  Islam's got nothing like 'a rich man to enter the Kingdom of Heaven...' or Christ expelling the money-lenders.  Mohammed was a merchant.  Many Mosques rent out spaces to business within or attached to the Mosque.  With the exception of the usury - which is easily got around through Islamic finance - Islam is more naturally righty and into business than Christianity.
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on March 22, 2012, 11:40:24 AM
The difference seems to be the religion.  You say Christian fundamentalists tend toward the right wing.  You seem to be suggesting that this somehow excludes non-Christian fundamentalists.

Not sure where you're trying to lead me, but I never said Muslims can't be rightwingers as you suggested above.  My point is that "religious fundamentalists" is too broad a category to ascribe to the right or left.  What is yours?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on March 22, 2012, 11:45:15 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 22, 2012, 11:40:24 AM
The difference seems to be the religion.  You say Christian fundamentalists tend toward the right wing.  You seem to be suggesting that this somehow excludes non-Christian fundamentalists.

Not sure where you're trying to lead me, but I never said Muslims can't be rightwingers as you suggested above.  My point is that "religious fundamentalists" is too broad a category to ascribe to the right or left.  What is yours?

That religious fundamentalism is an inherently right-wing concept.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on March 22, 2012, 12:01:22 PM
That religious fundamentalism is an inherently right-wing concept.

St. Francis might disagree. :hmm:

Razgovory

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 22, 2012, 12:37:53 PM
Why not?

Well the concept of "Right-wing" and "Left-Wing" predate him by a few centuries.  And the term "fundamentalist" was coined to describe theological doctines  opposed to other religious theologies which hadn't been concieved in the time of St. Francis.

Okay, your turn.  You answer my question.

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 22, 2012, 11:44:26 AM
Outside the US hard-core Catholics tend to be very lefty.  They're all about the social market and virtually want to reinstate the guild system.

You obviously have never met our catholics.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: The Larch on March 22, 2012, 01:09:00 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 22, 2012, 11:44:26 AM

You obviously have never met our catholics.

Inside the US Catholic are often lefty.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on March 22, 2012, 12:43:19 PM
Well the concept of "Right-wing" and "Left-Wing" predate him by a few centuries.  And the term "fundamentalist" was coined to describe theological doctines  opposed to other religious theologies which hadn't been concieved in the time of St. Francis.

Okay, your turn.  You answer my question.

If "fundamentalist" and "right-wing" are not connected through some eternal law of politics, then their relationship is determined by the context of time and place.  In the context of our time and our place, there is no reason to associate sharia law, jihad against non-Muslims, and recapture of al Andalus with right wing politics.  "Fundamentalism" is not intrinsically right-wing; there are plenty of people around the world who believe the Bible is the literal word of God (the definition of fundamentalist) who are very much left-wing in their politics.

Zoupa

There is no vanilla Frenchman. I have czech, polish, madagascar, italian, belgian, portuguese, algerian genes. Where the dude s parents are born is irrelevant.

Razgovory

Fortunately we don't live in the 9th century, so we don't have to worry about that.  You'll also notice in my posts that I was referring to modern period.  Fundamentalism is a plank of right wing thought.  It is not synonymous with right wing thought, though.  Simply a part of it.  People can have both right wing and left wing ideas in their head.  However, having both in their head does not change the nature of either idea.