Breaking News - Gun Attack On French Jewish School Kills 4

Started by mongers, March 19, 2012, 08:11:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 21, 2012, 07:35:03 PM
Again, according to French sources, the explosions were provoked by the intervention group as intimidation measures.

:huh: What like this?

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on March 21, 2012, 08:49:18 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 21, 2012, 08:33:58 PM
I sorta thought that religious fundamentalism was sorta their domain.  Has been for quite a while.

You're a piece of work.

Where are the liberal religious fundamentalists?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Well, there's obviously a gun control problem in France.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on March 21, 2012, 08:49:18 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 21, 2012, 08:33:58 PM
I sorta thought that religious fundamentalism was sorta their domain.  Has been for quite a while.

You're a piece of work.
Is there anything in accurate in what he said?  Or am I missing some implication here?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tamas on March 21, 2012, 05:01:55 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 21, 2012, 03:56:39 PM
Quote from: Tamas on March 21, 2012, 03:40:12 PM
WTF we did not

1919?

Yeah right, a country surrounded by enemies including the Entente, with a freshly re-formed army, deeply tormented by the conflicts of Red political and White military leadership, still manages to kick the Czechs out of Slovaka, just for the Reds to agree to demands on abandoning all liberated territories there in exchange of Romanian withdrawal from what is today the center of the country. We oblige, the Romanians do not, which results in a hasty offensive against them, with an ill-prepared and demoralized army against a dug-in enemy on the other side of a major river.

Slovaks got lucky, or are you arguing that Slovakia would be a better place today if it was a region of Hungary?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 21, 2012, 11:04:10 PM
Quote from: Tamas on March 21, 2012, 05:01:55 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 21, 2012, 03:56:39 PM
Quote from: Tamas on March 21, 2012, 03:40:12 PM
WTF we did not

1919?

Yeah right, a country surrounded by enemies including the Entente, with a freshly re-formed army, deeply tormented by the conflicts of Red political and White military leadership, still manages to kick the Czechs out of Slovaka, just for the Reds to agree to demands on abandoning all liberated territories there in exchange of Romanian withdrawal from what is today the center of the country. We oblige, the Romanians do not, which results in a hasty offensive against them, with an ill-prepared and demoralized army against a dug-in enemy on the other side of a major river.

Slovaks got lucky, or are you arguing that Slovakia would be a better place today if it was a region of Hungary?

Slovaks got lucky, Hungarians left on the other side of the borther got unlucky.
It is too offtopic here, but it is interesting to note that supposedly the magyar-slovak hate wasn't much present before 1914. I am not aware of any independence movements from the Slovaks until Masaryk and co. figured they could use the real estate there.

Listen, I do not debate that the ROMAnians, the Slovaks, the Serbs had their right to belong to their own country in the regions where they were living en masse. What I have problem with is the idiotic part of the peace where huge chunks of Hungarian-inhabited territories were also given over, taking the bad thing about pre-WW1 Hungary, and replicating it in numerous times in the surrounding countries.
The funny part is that the borders the nazis carved out for us until 1940 were much more fair than Trianon. Of course the division of Transylvania was very trick, because basically it was a corridor to the 100%-Hungarian enclave in the mountains far from the present day border, but it was a reasonable compromise.

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on March 22, 2012, 04:41:04 AM
Slovaks got lucky, Hungarians left on the other side of the borther got unlucky.
It is too offtopic here, but it is interesting to note that supposedly the magyar-slovak hate wasn't much present before 1914. I am not aware of any independence movements from the Slovaks until Masaryk and co. figured they could use the real estate there.

Listen, I do not debate that the ROMAnians, the Slovaks, the Serbs had their right to belong to their own country in the regions where they were living en masse. What I have problem with is the idiotic part of the peace where huge chunks of Hungarian-inhabited territories were also given over, taking the bad thing about pre-WW1 Hungary, and replicating it in numerous times in the surrounding countries.
The funny part is that the borders the nazis carved out for us until 1940 were much more fair than Trianon. Of course the division of Transylvania was very trick, because basically it was a corridor to the 100%-Hungarian enclave in the mountains far from the present day border, but it was a reasonable compromise.

Go fuck yourself. Pretty much every nation in the region could say the same because these areas are not (surprise!) ethnically homogenous. You didn't want to live in the multi-cultural Habsburg empire so you got what you wanted. And at least based on recent developments, Slovaks are doing much better than Hungarians, so it looks like Trianon was right to give the land to smarter people.

Tamas

Don't be so sure about the Slovaks. Their liberals fixed their economy, so in rage they first turned to rightish, now leftist populism. It is just a matter of time before they fuck up. It is inevitable

Tamas

And the areas I am talking about (and you obviously have no idea about them) WERE mostly homogenous, near the Trianon borders.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: DGuller on March 22, 2012, 08:11:34 AM
Quote from: Caliga on March 22, 2012, 06:30:39 AM
NYT reporting that the guy is dead.
What's the cause of death?  Boredom?  Old age?

"Fall" from a window.

QuoteTOULOUSE, France — A 23-year-old Frenchman who claimed responsibility for killing four men and three children died on Thursday after jumping from a window, still firing from a weapon in his hand, as security forces stormed the apartment where he had been holed up for more than 30 hours, Claude Guéant, the French interior minister, said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/23/world/europe/mohammed-merah-toulouse-shooting-suspect-french-police-standoff.html?hp

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on March 22, 2012, 08:11:34 AM
Quote from: Caliga on March 22, 2012, 06:30:39 AM
NYT reporting that the guy is dead.
What's the cause of death?  Boredom?  Old age?

Geez a siege lasted for less than two days before they resorted to a dangerous assault and you give them crap for it?  But this is the age of the 24 hour news cycle.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 22, 2012, 08:15:43 AM
QuoteTOULOUSE, France — A 23-year-old Frenchman who claimed responsibility for killing four men and three children died on Thursday after jumping from a window, still firing from a weapon in his hand, as security forces stormed the apartment where he had been holed up for more than 30 hours, Claude Guéant, the French interior minister, said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/23/world/europe/mohammed-merah-toulouse-shooting-suspect-french-police-standoff.html?hp

I like how they call him a "Frenchman" and leave it at that.  Like he was wearing a striped shirt & beret as he jumped out the window.

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall