News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

HoI3 Betas

Started by szmik, March 12, 2009, 12:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Fate on August 04, 2009, 04:18:29 AM
It never ceases to amaze me that a relic of a game like TOAW has a better AI than anything Paradox has put out in the past decade.

Don't worry, they'll release the source code eventually.  :lol:

TOAW has nearly no AI  whatsoever. Scenarios script it (or not) individually.

Razgovory

Quote from: Josephus on August 03, 2009, 09:11:17 AM
This is what it says on Gamers Gate:

System requirements
# Operating system: Windows 2000/XP/Vista
# Processor: Intel® Pentium® IV 2.4 GHz or AMD 3500+
# Memory: 2Gb RAM
# Hard disk space: 2 GB Available HDD Space
# Video: NVIDIA® GeForce 8800 or ATI Radeon® X1900
# Sound: Direct X-compatible sound card
# DirectX®: DirectX 9

Yeah that threw me off.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josephus

Quote from: Razgovory on August 04, 2009, 07:34:10 AM
Quote from: Josephus on August 03, 2009, 09:11:17 AM
This is what it says on Gamers Gate:

System requirements
# Operating system: Windows 2000/XP/Vista
# Processor: Intel® Pentium® IV 2.4 GHz or AMD 3500+
# Memory: 2Gb RAM
# Hard disk space: 2 GB Available HDD Space
# Video: NVIDIA® GeForce 8800 or ATI Radeon® X1900
# Sound: Direct X-compatible sound card
# DirectX®: DirectX 9

Yeah that threw me off.

Note: it does say "requirements" not "recommendations"
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

BVN

Quote from: Josephus on August 04, 2009, 08:28:06 AM
Note: it does say "requirements" not "recommendations"
Yes, it's confusing. But according to other sources, a graphics card with 256mb memory and support for shaders 2.0 is considered 'minimum'.

For example, a 8600 GT must be perfectly capable to run HOI3.

Darth Wagtaros

Forget the graphics.  If the AI won't do a Normandy or even a Sicily what's the point of a WWII game? Someone tell me how WWII can work without amphibious invasion?! I mean, I've seen Japan invade Cuba before and stuff, I'm not talkin about the stupid bullshit. 

I think we need Fate to answer these questions.
PDH!

Fate

Quote from: Tamas on August 04, 2009, 06:54:56 AM
Quote from: Fate on August 04, 2009, 04:18:29 AM
It never ceases to amaze me that a relic of a game like TOAW has a better AI than anything Paradox has put out in the past decade.

Don't worry, they'll release the source code eventually.  :lol:

TOAW has nearly no AI  whatsoever. Scenarios script it (or not) individually.

Alright, TOAW scripts provide more of a challenge for me than Paradox AIs.  :lol:

Fate

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 04, 2009, 09:28:22 AM
Forget the graphics.  If the AI won't do a Normandy or even a Sicily what's the point of a WWII game? Someone tell me how WWII can work without amphibious invasion?! I mean, I've seen Japan invade Cuba before and stuff, I'm not talkin about the stupid bullshit. 

I have no proof yet. I just see the reviews, and noticeably absent from any of them is the capability of the AI in terms of meaningful naval invasions - something that was severely lacking in HOI1, HOI2, and EU3. We shall see...

Tamas

Quote from: Fate on August 04, 2009, 10:10:23 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 04, 2009, 09:28:22 AM

I have no proof yet. I just see the reviews, and noticeably absent from any of them is the capability of the AI in terms of meaningful naval invasions - something that was severely lacking in HOI1, HOI2, and EU3. We shall see...

Dude we were talking about this in this very thread: the beta version from which AARs and reviews have been made has no naval AI. AT ALL. DECLAREDLY.

Of course this proves you right because I wonder what kind of a naval AI can you do in about two months, from scratch, but still.

frunk

Well it depends quite a lot on the path of the work undertaken by those working on AI.  Assuming there's a dedicated person/team working on AI their schedule might have looked like:

3 months: Setup AI environment and scripting language
2 months: Land AI
2 months: Air AI
2 months: Naval AI

By the point you get to Naval AI many of the general AI kinks would have been worked out, and so typifying it as from scratch isn't really fair.  If the naval AI is last on the list it won't get done until very late, but it doesn't mean it won't get done.  We really don't know what the workflow was though, so I'm not getting up in arms until I see/hear about the game.  Then I'll start carrying pitchforks.

MadBurgerMaker

:lol:  I take it the demo is out around now?  "The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later."

Edit:  Oh cool it is:  http://www.fileplanet.com/111377/0/0/0/1/section/Demos

E2: 17 - 19 minute queue.  Wow.

Viking

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on August 04, 2009, 11:14:45 AM
:lol:  I take it the demo is out around now?  "The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later."

Edit:  Oh cool it is:  http://www.fileplanet.com/111377/0/0/0/1/section/Demos

E2: 17 - 19 minute queue.  Wow.

I'm not fucking paying...
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Syt

Autumn is heralded by leaves changing colour, and any Paradox release is heralded by
QuoteThe server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Viking on August 04, 2009, 11:21:37 AM
I'm not fucking paying...

:unsure:  All I'm using is a very old free subscription, unless I'm being charged without my knowledge.  If they are, those fuckers need to get with the program and get rid of the ads.

Darth Wagtaros

Johan lurks around here doesn't he? Just make him answer our questions directly.  We're important people.
PDH!

Syt

QuoteWhat's Going On?
Currently Active Users: 2265 (805 members and 1460 guests)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.