State of the Lettow 2011-2012, and the outlook for a new year

Started by Lettow77, February 25, 2012, 11:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martim Silva

Quote from: Tyr on February 27, 2012, 02:52:49 AM
Getting a real job in Japan is a lot easier said than done. Most English teachers here wish for such a thing but it is apparently really difficult.
Which is a big shame :(
(my memory is hazy but....did you once have such a thing? If so...how on earth?)

I didn't have a 'japanese' job, but my work has both made me go to Japan several times and has also made my Japanese colleagues join me for work elsewhere in the planet on occasion. That pretty much made me deal with them rather extensively.

Thus said, that 'outside yet now here' status pretty much allowed me to avoid the whole 'integrated into Japan' thing, even though I felt no culture clash [40 years of anime and manga did seem to have an effect]. Thank goodness the local cuisine has so many meat dishes. I would never have survived if Japanese cooking was indeed the all-raw-fish thing that some people think it is. Shame about the small portions, though. They force me to often get seconds (today I know why they think foreigners eat a lot).

What I have particularly noted about the Japanese it that they lack confidence. Though they'll never admit it and like to tell themselves otherwise, the Japanese inherently feel that, even if they are good in Japan, they stand to be quite the losers when facing (white) foreigners. I use this to full effect, becoming the exact opposite of humble with them. It both fuels their expectations on how a foreigner acts (their idea of a non-Asian foreigner is based on Americans) and lets me dominate whatever it is that I need to do. They can jointly handle whatever reports they need to present by themselves later (since they love to do things by consensus, to share eventual blame).

Also, they have an unique ability to be fresh for work at 8AM even if they drank until late hours last night.  :huh:

Hmm....its variable. Varies from person to person really. Though generally small conversations about famous stuff like Studio Ghibli is acceptible as is classic old stuff like Astro Boy and Lupin.
Anime nerds are widely hated but liking the occasional bit of mainstream anime is fine.

I believe Ghibli is indeed acceptable, in a "I once saw Mononoke Hime win an Oscar" or "When I was a kid I saw Nausicaä", but that's about all I would have dared to speak about, if I had ever spoken about anime. Which I didn't.

Eddie Teach

Y'know what you should do? Open a restaurant specializing in Southern cuisine. Encourage the emergence of Japafats.  :showoff:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Fireblade

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 27, 2012, 12:51:31 PM
Y'know what you should do? Open a restaurant specializing in Southern cuisine. Encourage the emergence of Japafats.  :showoff:

That's.. not a bad idea. Aren't Japanese people REALLY into KFC? Fuck, you could totally pull it off dude.

By the way Lettow: A good friend of mine recently went to Japan in the JET program. She seems to like it quite a bit. But then again, she's a weeaboo like you, so it's not unexpected.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Siege

Hey Lettuce, you at Memphis Tennesse?
If you can make it to Nashville, we can hang out at the Wildhorse Saloon saturday night, after the shabbat.
Jami Grooms playing saturday night.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Caliga

Quote from: Siege on February 28, 2012, 07:35:46 PM
Hey Lettuce, you at Memphis Tennesse?
If you can make it to Nashville, we can hang out at the Wildhorse Saloon saturday night, after the shabbat.
Jami Grooms playing saturday night.
:glare:

Interesting how you ignored my suggestions for a meetup but invite Lettuce to one.  Unlike Lettuce, I love both Jews and guns. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

Caliga

One presumes Seige does also. :hmm:

Anyway, I don't blindly love America like a Republitard or something.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Admiral Yi

Hey Seeb, you're at Ft. Campbell, right?  Wanna meet up early part of June?