State of the Lettow 2011-2012, and the outlook for a new year

Started by Lettow77, February 25, 2012, 11:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martim Silva

Quote from: Lettow77 on February 26, 2012, 11:52:29 AM
To be clear, I want to go to Japan and never leave. The work i'll be doing is secondary- english teaching is just an excellent way to get my foot in the door.
Earnings are almost a non-issue. If I can live in an apartment and pay for internet and tea, i'll be content. Nothing I enjoy doing costs much money. The outer fringe of luxury spending would be having a cat. :)

Lettow, your writing style reminds me far too much of those writers who were just waiting for an opportunity to kill themselves. Which is worrying.

The only thing I can recommend for you is to try to circumvent English teaching - which will not make you very close to the Japanese - and have a more 'normal' job in Japan. Those jobs require deep confraternization between co-workers (i.e. getting dead drunk with your colleages every night after work), are immensely enjoyed by the Japanese and can do wonders to keep your desire to live going. All my Japanese opposites love them, and thankfully I am a person who loves to debate politics, finance, women, food and jokes while drinking copiously, which is a trait that helps a lot when dealing with them. But, then again, I am not as poetic as you are.

And whatever you do, don't talk about anime with working adults. EVER. Act as if you didn't even knew it existed. Concentrate on 'adult people' themes. It will all end up with silly drunken jokes anyway, so you're bound to do well.

In the end, your vision of the world will become quite relaxed by the end of the day and you may get the enjoyment you want out of life.

Lettow77

Quote from: Martim Silva on February 26, 2012, 12:14:11 PM
And whatever you do, don't talk about anime with working adults. EVER. Act as if you didn't even knew it existed. Concentrate on 'adult people' themes. It will all end up with silly drunken jokes anyway, so you're bound to do well.

No worries at all on that score. Hiding the power level is a sacred trust in most settings. Only closest confidants and languish must know.

It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Lettow77 on February 26, 2012, 12:10:43 PM
Also, "more welcoming than Utah mormons" isn't hard to achieve. I've been oversatured with japanese -things- much more so than LDS, and find it more agreeable.  I expect no Elysium in Japan, just a quiet life that doesn't offend my sensibilities. I ask for very little, and I anticipate finding it there. If I don't, i'll review my options, but for sure I won't come back to America.

:lol:  Thing is, you don't even realize that you'll be offending Japanese sensibilities.  They will look down upon you far worse than you do with the niggers of the South, Round Eyes.

Too funny.  Go ahead, go live with people who will barely tolerate you with just enough contempt for you to notice.

Lettow77

Oh, don't worry. I don't plan to claim equality or anything but an inferior station. I won't be uppity- i'll slavishly reaffirm their suspicions of their own superiority while taking a servile role within their society. It's a unique opportunity to be an uncle remus figure.

That said, I'll do my best to keep my head down and not be TOO much of a hairy barbarian.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Caliga

Quote from: Lettow77 on February 26, 2012, 12:40:36 PM
It's a unique opportunity to be an uncle remus figure.
:lmfao: That line was hilarious to me for some reason.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Monoriu

The relationship between the Japanese and foreigners is a very strange one.  On one hand the Japanese can be easily persuaded to embrace foreign culture.  There is often an element of "if it is foreign; it must be better."

On the other hand the level of xenophobia in Japanese society is very great. 

Josquius

Quote from: Martim Silva on February 26, 2012, 12:14:11 PM

The only thing I can recommend for you is to try to circumvent English teaching - which will not make you very close to the Japanese - and have a more 'normal' job in Japan. Those jobs require deep confraternization between co-workers (i.e. getting dead drunk with your colleages every night after work), are immensely enjoyed by the Japanese and can do wonders to keep your desire to live going. All my Japanese opposites love them, and thankfully I am a person who loves to debate politics, finance, women, food and jokes while drinking copiously, which is a trait that helps a lot when dealing with them. But, then again, I am not as poetic as you are.
Getting a real job in Japan is a lot easier said than done. Most English teachers here wish for such a thing but it is apparently really difficult.
Which is a big shame :(
(my memory is hazy but....did you once have such a thing? If so...how on earth?)

Hmm....its variable. Varies from person to person really. Though generally small conversations about famous stuff like Studio Ghibli is acceptible as is classic old stuff like Astro Boy and Lupin.
Anime nerds are widely hated but liking the occasional bit of mainstream anime is fine.
██████
██████
██████

Valdemar

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 26, 2012, 02:49:52 AM

"And he opens the round with a judo chop straight to the solar plexus...that's gotta sting, Mel!"
"Yes, Jim, but Lettow's taken more than that in life, this kid's a gamer!"

You are off course aware there are no jabs in Judo, no kicks, no hits of any kind? Only throws, grabs and holds?

V

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valdemar on February 27, 2012, 04:53:23 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 26, 2012, 02:49:52 AM

"And he opens the round with a judo chop straight to the solar plexus...that's gotta sting, Mel!"
"Yes, Jim, but Lettow's taken more than that in life, this kid's a gamer!"

You are off course aware there are no jabs in Judo, no kicks, no hits of any kind? Only throws, grabs and holds?

V

I think you should throw your tongue into my hairy bunghole.  Judo style.

Valdemar

Come try it steroid boy and I'll test how far my 12 y old son can toss you :D

V

garbon

Quote from: Valdemar on February 27, 2012, 07:20:12 AM

V

He's going to try and force you to stick your tongue up his butt? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valdemar

Quote from: garbon on February 27, 2012, 07:37:26 AM
Quote from: Valdemar on February 27, 2012, 07:20:12 AM

V

He's going to try and force you to stick your tongue up his butt? :unsure:

That seems to be what he is suggesting yes... I think he will find that i'm unwilling to participate, and as such I'll let my son practise judo on him, which should be doable, but Im not sure how far he can make him fly..

He will land hard though  :menace: my son is quite skilled...

V

garbon

Bringing children into a sex act? :thumbsdown:

Anyway, Seedy was making an offer not a demand.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valdemar

I can always trust you Garbon to turn a physical threat into an offer of sex  :lmfao:

V