State of the Lettow 2011-2012, and the outlook for a new year

Started by Lettow77, February 25, 2012, 11:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

I don't think anybody's equal.  The phenomenon of racism is just a way to make the less-than-equal in one group, upon whom the more-than-equal depend, more pliant.

It's worked so damned well in the South that the tenth-generation descendants of filthy sharecroppers who enthusiastically donned the gray to fight and die in a rich man's war still support basically the same kind of person.

Is it human nature, or peculiar to Southerners, that no matter how low we get--and, by so many metrics, we are low--we'd rather have someone to look down upon, than raise ourselves so those that control us need look us in the eye when they lie to us and tell us our sacrifices are not their gain?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Barrister

Quote from: Lettow77 on February 29, 2012, 12:06:11 AM
I mean, fair enough

I could be less racist- but would be true to the memory of my father, or my bestest friend in the world? Or my personal feelings, however they've been gained?

This father, mind you, had a 90%+ black clientele that he really charged atrociously little..

Or do you believe in your heart of hearts that black people are equal? Why?

I don't like talking about this, because I know it isn't what people like at all

my ambition is to go abroad and leave white-black affairs behind me, but this was brought up

Can't we discuss something else?  I just made popcorn

EDIT: I don't think being afraid to work is a southern thing. That's my own baggage. Still, I really really dread it. Death seems preferable to leaving the floating world of academia and irresponsibility

I believe all men, indeed all people, are equal.  -_-

You know darn well that in Western Canada we don't have a significant "black" population.  But in the north we had a significant aboriginal population.  Who are sadly responsible for a ridicuously high amount of our crime rate.  But unlike you I've gotten to know a huge number of aboriginal people, and I've found that making any generalities due to their heritage and skin tone is quite ridiculous.

Your fear of work... I don't know.  I dare say it's not very Calvinist of you.  I will also say that after a childhood of my father never being at home (he was a sports writer - he constantly was on the road, or worked at night for morning papers) I certainly understand the sentiment of "I will be a better father than my father was".  I want to be there for all of my children's moments, both big and little.  But being responsible for children, and a wife, I can not possible shirk away from the responsibility of taking care of them financially either.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Poor Lettow.  I don't think you are actually crazy (at least you don't have an organic defect), but I do think you are on the road of ruin.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Lettow77 on February 29, 2012, 12:16:30 AM
Edit: asking me what I think of black people hardly sounds fair
"hey lettow I want to get mad, any good ones?"

If you learned any legal lingo from your father, you probably learned the difference between an open-ended question, and a leading question.

"What do you think of black people" is open-ended.

Ideologue

Quote from: Lettow77 on February 29, 2012, 12:16:30 AM
Edit: asking me what I think of black people hardly sounds fair
"hey lettow I want to get mad, any good ones?"

I do like to get mad.  It's what I'm best at: impotent rage.  Well, that, having sex bareback without impregnating people, and the inappropriate statement.

Here's a real question: are you gonna fuck your roommate, or what?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Barrister

Quote from: Lettow77 on February 29, 2012, 12:32:44 AM
Unlike me? Implying I don't know black people, uh? You presume too much- although it's true I don't know any black people anymore. I come by that honestly- I barely know anyone these days. I don't know leave my room, really.

I don't think i'm on the road to ruin. I like life where it is going, and I entertain few fears. There is so little that can go wrong, because so few things could be seen as an unpleasant result.  I don't have a whole great heap of hope, but neither do I have much fear or concern. I'll get to Japan, and things will work out okay.

No, it isn't calvinist of me. You know I'm not a christian, maybe? The idea of things more important than the nation never sat well with me.

Also: I wouldn't use the language "better father than my father was." My father was an incredible father, especially considering he never wanted to be one. I just stood in the way of his dreams and put his life on hold. (ruined it is a better term- what do you call it if you put it on hold but it never resumes?) Despite me being the ruin of all his ambitions, he selflessly dedicated himself to me living a life of relative comfort, and seldom ever questioned my decisions. He warned me not to go to this hick town, but wouldn't have dreamed of opposing my autonomy.

I love my father far more than my mother- I wish I could express that to him. He talked so very very much, and was a weary, mentally unstable man at the end of it all. I avoided him to my shame, and made light of his absurdities. I have those same absurdities! I am my father's son, and everyone knows it. I am not as vulgar as he, and I have different priorities and ideals to some extent, but the link is assuredly there.

My mother was another agent of my father's ruin. Unlike myself, who was an unwitting co-conspirator, she deliberately engineered his ruin. I don't imagine she did it out of hate, but a fine, decent man was consigned to a miserable life even so.

I resent her for it; I resent myself for it. Still, life won't be as bad for me as it was for him. I am less capable of being upset than he was- I have little I hold dear that can be taken away, and nothing I have to accomplish to feel alright. Life will be okay.

Implying?  I'm saying it.  You don't know black people.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your father.  I don't think I said anything negative about him, but only made comment of my own father.  But if I am mistaken, I apologize.  As you can see, I have my own father issues.

Fundamentally Lettow - I don't have anything aainst you per se.  It's just that you've said some ridiculously racist things in the past, and when asked you continue to say them.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

I don't know black people.  I don't know white people either.

Fireblade

Quote from: Ideologue on February 29, 2012, 12:00:31 AM
I come from the same cultural background as you.  Roughly, anyway.  Fireblade too.  Neither one of us are afraid to work (WELL...), neither one of us hold some of your more offensive beliefs--even if we do occasionally partake in some racism for the yuks.

I hope you aren't referring to me, because I've been working since the day I turned 16. :P

Also, I hate niggers?

Ideologue

I meant me. :P  And it's less fear than loathe, at least presently.

As for your query, OH FB HAS NEVER MADE A RACIST JOKE IN HIS LIFE.
Kinemalogue

Barrister

Quote from: Lettow77 on February 29, 2012, 12:55:55 AM
I have a relatively high opinion of byron. Haven't read anything except Don Juan though.

Can we all just stop talking about black people? I mean really, how unseemly

It's storming outside, which I like, but it may disconnect the power, or lead to us being herded into the basement- which I don't like

If you don't want to talk about black people, stop holding offensive and racist views about black people. -_-

Fireblade

Quote from: Ideologue on February 29, 2012, 12:52:17 AM
I meant me. :P  And it's less fear than loathe, at least presently.

As for your query, OH FB HAS NEVER MADE A RACIST JOKE IN HIS LIFE.

Lawl, well, my attitude is "fuck working, but a nigga's gotta eat and not have his baby in rags 'n shitz." All of my jobs have been fucking terrible (yay being a line chef in the shittiest Mexican restaurant in town), neutral at best (Petsmart, I got to have sex with cute coworkers but had to deal with crazy cat people all day), or great but with abysmally low wages (lieberry work).

But no, wtf Lettow, this is the 21st century and you're an educated man. Proper Southerners of our generation aren't racist these days. Who the fuck doesn't associate themselves with people of all colors, religions, and ethnicities? This ain't the cotton days, when rich people had their nigras and us poor folk had their scraps, but at least we weren't cotton-picking niggers! These days, we're all figurative "cotton-picking niggers" for the rich people. We have too much in common with our social and economic equals of all types than we do with those rich motherfuckers.

Also, black women are fucking awesome in bed. ;)

Ideologue

Quote from: FirebladePetsmart, I got to have sex with cute coworkers but had to deal with crazy cat people all day

...I'm listening.
Kinemalogue

Fireblade

Quote from: Lettow77 on February 29, 2012, 01:04:43 AM
Now see fireblade, you sound like one of those shameless subversive gentleman that is hardly a gentleman at all

sleeping with a woman you don't intend a permanent future with? scandalous!

Those women aren't exactly looking for a permanent future with whoever they sleep with either. Someone's gonna get his dick wet, might as well have been me. ;)

Fireblade

Quote from: Ideologue on February 29, 2012, 01:05:26 AM
Quote from: FirebladePetsmart, I got to have sex with cute coworkers but had to deal with crazy cat people all day

...I'm listening.

Come on bro, you know that any retail type job is a ripe environment for ass. You're stuck in a building with 10-50 other people for a varying amount of hours a week (but not 40, because fuck you you're not getting a management job). It takes awhile, but in the long-term, you're practically guaranteed to get laid. Shit, now that I think about it, I may have hooked up with more girls in retail than I did through fraternity functions.

Never had luck in restaurants though. Your only choices are middle-aged Mexican ladies or incredibly fucked up, psychologically damaged waitresses. Neither of which particularly appeal to me.  :yuk: