And we're back!

Main Menu

Graduate Degress: Are they worth it?

Started by CountDeMoney, February 18, 2012, 10:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 23, 2012, 11:55:28 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on February 23, 2012, 11:53:48 AM
I got to hob-knob with birds and stars and other Grumbler-like personalities.

For some reason, that's just balls ass funny.

There are many like him, but this one is ours.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

CountDeMoney

Quote from: FunkMonk on February 23, 2012, 12:17:59 PM

Where were all the Hansies?   Digging out jelly donuts from footlockers? Or just making PowerPoints all day about jelly donuts and footlockers?

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 23, 2012, 12:25:54 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on February 23, 2012, 12:17:59 PM

Where were all the Hansies?    just making PowerPoints all day ?

Nail on de head
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

grumbler

My last three years in the service were at a command-level headquarters. It was interesting and a little fun at first. I got to hob-knob with birds and stars and other Grumbler-like personalities. I even met the CJCS. But I started taking a hard look at the way the place was run, and the atmosphere it engendered: all the politicking and jockeying for position and the disregard for others. There was absolutely no sense of camaraderie here. Places like this were where the really hard decisions were supposed to be made, and it didn't fill me with any sort of confidence.

My first tour in the Five-Sided Playpen was much like this; it really did seem to be that decisions were made for all the wrong reasons, and that every policy project went through the same five phases:

1.  Enthusiasm
2.  Disillusionment
3.  Panic
4. The search for the scapegoats
5.  Rewards and praise for non-participants.

My second tour, as a senior officer, let me see that things were not as bad as I had thought, though still bad enough.  It was more possible to get sensible policy decisions than I thought as a JO, but sensible decisions were still in the minority.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

FunkMonk

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 23, 2012, 12:25:54 PM
Where were all the Hansies?   Digging out jelly donuts from footlockers? Or just making PowerPoints all day about jelly donuts and footlockers?

I remember one particular mandatory briefing about the repeal of DADT. The legal folks couldn't get a word in because some old white-haired O-4 (probably reservist) kept on bleating about his religion and gays.  :lol:

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: FunkMonk on February 23, 2012, 02:08:35 PM
The legal folks couldn't get a word in because some old white-haired O-4 (probably reservist) kept on bleating about his religion and gays.  :lol:

He was probably the biggest closet fag in the room, too.

fhdz

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 23, 2012, 03:05:40 PM

"I confront them in the showers in order to convert them."

Ideologue

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 23, 2012, 09:46:00 AM
Quote from: HVC on February 22, 2012, 10:14:18 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 22, 2012, 09:32:10 PM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on February 21, 2012, 04:28:30 AM
I have a B.A., a high GPA and a few honors, but am making ~$24,000 a year <_<
At least I enjoy my job :)

I find it interesting that of all Languish's under-30 American crowd, the only one who has a mainstream job is garbo.  Fireblade works for the higher education scam, and you, Tim, and soon I will be expatriates.

I guess it's some consolation to know that the world language will survive America.
I'm an accountant and GF is.. uhm i don't know what the hell he is now but he works in an office.

*edit* er missed the american part... carry on.

I test & design machine vision software.

I don't know how to title that, neither does my employer.

My guess would be "machine vision software designer."  Perhaps there is no equivalent in French.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: fahdiz on February 23, 2012, 03:06:55 PM

It's like Jesus on the mountain.  He saw the supple man ass below, and told Satan, "No way, Jose."  I might be misremembering exactly what that part says.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: fahdiz on February 23, 2012, 03:06:55 PM

LOL, "Yes, that way they're at a distinct disadvantage, and temporarily distracted by my erect penis.  THEY'LL NEVER EXPECT THAT!"

Ideologue

You never bring your hard-on to a knife fight.
Kinemalogue

fhdz

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 23, 2012, 03:51:39 PM
LOL, "Yes, that way they're at a distinct disadvantage, and temporarily distracted by my erect penis.  THEY'LL NEVER EXPECT THAT!"

"It's hard for you to run away from the Word of the Lord when you're impaled on my Republicock!"

Ed Anger

After dealing with doctors for the past 7 days, I'd like to punch every one of those over schooled people in the nuts.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Phillip V

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 23, 2012, 04:21:36 PM
After dealing with doctors for the past 7 days, I'd like to punch every one of those over schooled people in the nuts.

They rape you?