And we're back!

Main Menu

Graduate Degress: Are they worth it?

Started by CountDeMoney, February 18, 2012, 10:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: fahdiz on February 23, 2012, 01:12:43 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on February 22, 2012, 11:37:10 PM
Sure it is.  It's where people like Fahdiz can go across the river and experience the exhilaration of pumping their own gas.

When I moved to Oregon, it was a 2200-mile road trip. I remember very vividly getting out of the car at a gas station to fill it and having the attendant RUN in my direction, waving his hands around and saying "no no no" like I had dynamite strapped to my chest.

Gasoline is dangerous business.  Leave it to the experts.

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 22, 2012, 11:37:10 PM
Sure it is.  It's where people like Fahdiz can go across the river and experience the exhilaration of pumping their own gas.

When I moved to Oregon, it was a 2200-mile road trip. I remember very vividly getting out of the car at a gas station to fill it and having the attendant RUN in my direction, waving his hands around and saying "no no no" like I had dynamite strapped to my chest.

Try that shit in New Jersey.  They yell at you, too.  But in Spanish.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 23, 2012, 07:14:05 AM

"No no no" is the same in Spanish. :alberta:(pretend that's a sombrero)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 22, 2012, 02:54:21 PM
I see, so you didnt understand the history of how LLBs came to be called JDs.
:lmfao:  As Malthus points out, that would be you who doesn't understand.

I rest my case.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 23, 2012, 07:14:05 AM
Sometimes when I'm in Jersey I forget about that law.  As soon as I get out and the attendant starts walking towards me:

It's a good thing it's a small state.  Hello, Delaware. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on February 23, 2012, 07:34:56 AM
It's a good thing it's a small state.  Hello, Delaware. :cool:

Only thing worth going to Delaware for was the cigarette prices.

OMG I JUST LOVE THE WHOLE DUPONT MOTIF YOUVE GOT THERE

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on February 23, 2012, 12:36:10 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 23, 2012, 12:04:16 AM
That's not alien to the U.S., I assure you.

But as a matter of law? :bleeding:
Yeah.  That law is proof that lawyers are stupid.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on February 22, 2012, 10:14:18 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 22, 2012, 09:32:10 PM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on February 21, 2012, 04:28:30 AM
I have a B.A., a high GPA and a few honors, but am making ~$24,000 a year <_<
At least I enjoy my job :)

I find it interesting that of all Languish's under-30 American crowd, the only one who has a mainstream job is garbo.  Fireblade works for the higher education scam, and you, Tim, and soon I will be expatriates.

I guess it's some consolation to know that the world language will survive America.
I'm an accountant and GF is.. uhm i don't know what the hell he is now but he works in an office.

*edit* er missed the american part... carry on.

Even our semi-illiterate Canadians, eggplants and frogs alike, have jobs!

Take that, Mono.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

I find it interesting that of all Languish's under-30 American crowd, the only one who has a mainstream job is garbo.  Fireblade works for the higher education scam, and you, Tim, and soon I will be expatriates.

I guess it's some consolation to know that the world language will survive America.
I'm an accountant and GF is.. uhm i don't know what the hell he is now but he works in an office.

I test & design machine vision software.

I don't know how to title that, neither does my employer.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on February 23, 2012, 09:41:20 AM

woo hoo I've been upgraded to semi-illiterate! . Take that hooked-on-phonics! :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Malthus on February 23, 2012, 09:41:20 AM

I'm completely litterate by addition.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

FunkMonk

Quote from: 11B4V on February 23, 2012, 12:08:03 AM
No it doesn't.

You're right. I was being a bit too simplistic. Forgive me; it was late and I was tired.

I actually enjoyed my first four years in. I was a commo guy in an infantry battalion. I wasn't quite right on the front-line but I wasn't lounging around in an olympic-sized pool in Qatar, either. I felt like I was really doing my part, in the middle of it all. I really liked my job and I was exceedingly good at it.

During our second deployment we lost a lot of guys. One of whom was a very good friend of mine. Oddly, it didn't seem to shake me up at first. A couple of months passed, however, and I started feeling depressed. The camaraderie and sense of purpose of the army began to be balanced out by the suffering and the loss.

My last three years in the service were at a command-level headquarters. It was interesting and a little fun at first. I got to hob-knob with birds and stars and other Grumbler-like personalities. I even met the CJCS. But I started taking a hard look at the way the place was run, and the atmosphere it engendered: all the politicking and jockeying for position and the disregard for others. There was absolutely no sense of camaraderie here. Places like this were where the really hard decisions were supposed to be made, and it didn't fill me with any sort of confidence. I started to hate it and I slowly became jaded. So quietly I let my enlistment expire. Now I'm trying to get one of these "Degress" everyone in this thread is talking about.

Like Toni said, it ain't for everyone. I'm still proud of my service, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone but the most diehard military-minded folks.

That's my army story.  :D
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: FunkMonk on February 23, 2012, 11:53:48 AM
I got to hob-knob with birds and stars and other Grumbler-like personalities.

For some reason, that's just balls ass funny.

Phillip V

The best time to enlist is when there is "lots" of war, and no one wants to join.