News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Graduate Degress: Are they worth it?

Started by CountDeMoney, February 18, 2012, 10:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 20, 2012, 04:14:37 PMI see.   However, you are ignoring the fact that I compete with thousands of lawyers who have the change because they think it makes them more saleable to clients who might think a JD is more prestigeous.  However, my view is that my degree should be called what it is and not some marketing gimmick.

Really? I had no idea.

I would've thought that you get most of your clients based on referrals from previous clients, return business and your litigation record (like "let's hire the bastard who beat us last time, he was good" or maybe more likely "this fellow was successful with a case in this area, let's go with him").

CountDeMoney

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 20, 2012, 03:40:02 PM
Some of the people I went to school with thought I was crazy spending all that time in university.  They thought it was much better to just drop out and get right into the job market...

So people jumped in to pay down their student loan debts, and you waiting to accumulate twice as much loan debt.
Six in one, half dozen in the other.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 20, 2012, 02:13:16 PM
Quote from: Jacob on February 20, 2012, 01:30:11 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 20, 2012, 12:50:14 PM
JDs were a marketing gimmick more than anything.  Schools that offered them instead of LLBs got more applicants because the JD was considered more saleable - although they are the same thing.  That is the main reason Canadian law schools are making the switch from LLB to JD.  I can now get my JD retroactively now that my law school switched over.  But I prefer to call it what it is.

You of course have the advantage of a successful practice that won't be affected in the slightest by whatever you call it :cheers:

For my part, I never even finished my bachelor's degree. I've worked with very successful people in games who didn't even graduate highschool - there's not that many of them, but they're generally way more competent than the dicks with MBAs.

You are going to have to explain what the heck that has to do with the discussion of whether law degrees are properly an LLB or a JD.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what a degree is called, since the important part is that it is a degree which allows you to be qualified to practice law.  If they're going to be a JD, then so be it.

But what matters is people who think they have a master's level education at the end of it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

PDH

In the end, whether it is a JD or an LLBean, they are still lawyer scum.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Iormlund

Quote from: Jacob on February 20, 2012, 04:20:38 PMPersonally, I'd love to finish my degree and get another one, if I could find the time.

Same here. I know I would get much more from it now than then as well.

On a related note, I just enrolled at my first course at Udacity: CS 373: PROGRAMMING A ROBOTIC CAR.

Barrister

Quote from: PDH on February 20, 2012, 04:53:29 PM

Only once they pass the bar. :menace:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Phillip V

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 20, 2012, 04:16:22 PM
Quote from: Jacob on February 20, 2012, 03:58:59 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on February 20, 2012, 01:53:20 PMYou and your colleagues' failures to get degrees demonstrate the inability to follow through with anything. Thus, you will all fail personally and professionally.

Failing with a six figure salary is okay, I think, even in this day and age.

Not that I'm making six figures. This start up business doesn't pay that well up front (and maybe not in the end either).

However, you are the exception are you not?  Would you counsel your kids, when you have them, to roll the dice and take the chance of being successful without a degree in their hip pocket?
Our kids can be exceptions, too. :D

I am in the 6-figure salary camp with no degree. However, I am slowly working on a Bachelor of Art in History from an online degree mill.

HisMajestyBOB

I have a B.A., a high GPA and a few honors, but am making ~$24,000 a year <_<
At least I enjoy my job :)
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Zanza

Quote from: Phillip V on February 21, 2012, 01:02:43 AMI am in the 6-figure salary camp with no degree.
I thought you are some kind of NCO in the military? I am surprised the military pays that well.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 20, 2012, 04:14:37 PM
I see.   However, you are ignoring the fact that I compete with thousands of lawyers who have the change because they think it makes them more saleable to clients who might think a JD is more prestigeous.  However, my view is that my degree should be called what it is and not some marketing gimmick.

These are just names.  Your degree isn't what it is called, it is what it taught.  I find it strange that you believe these degree names have some significance other than to designate a degree of educational accomplishment, and that one degree name is true and one a gimmick.

Not that I care what names you use for your degree, but you might want to consider the idea that the purpose of language is communication.  If retaining the LL.M designation sends the right message to your audience, then it is logical to keep it.  If it sends the wrong message, then it is silly to keep it.  Labels are just labels.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Phillip V

Quote from: Zanza on February 21, 2012, 06:04:02 AM
Quote from: Phillip V on February 21, 2012, 01:02:43 AMI am in the 6-figure salary camp with no degree.
I thought you are some kind of NCO in the military? I am surprised the military pays that well.

Position/organization > rank.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on February 20, 2012, 04:23:28 PM
Really? I had no idea.

I would've thought that you get most of your clients based on referrals from previous clients, return business and your litigation record (like "let's hire the bastard who beat us last time, he was good" or maybe more likely "this fellow was successful with a case in this area, let's go with him").

That is a source of work yes.  But all those people are also testing the waters with any number of other lawyers before they choose who will actually be retained.  Litigation is more of a one off thing since most people dont usually need the services of a litigator very often.   The exception to that are large clients who have a steady stream of litigation.   The competition for those clients is, as you can imagine, ongoing...

crazy canuck

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 20, 2012, 04:25:15 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 20, 2012, 03:40:02 PM
Some of the people I went to school with thought I was crazy spending all that time in university.  They thought it was much better to just drop out and get right into the job market...

So people jumped in to pay down their student loan debts, and you waiting to accumulate twice as much loan debt.
Six in one, half dozen in the other.

Not really.  The amount of income I earn as opposed to those who dropped out earlier greatly exceeds the greater amount I incurred in debt.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on February 20, 2012, 05:02:41 PM
Quote from: PDH on February 20, 2012, 04:53:29 PM

Only once they pass the bar. :menace:

Actually only once they get called to the bar.  Your American friends dont have articles which is a large obstacle for Canadian law students to overcome atm.

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on February 21, 2012, 07:30:38 AM
but you might want to consider the idea that the purpose of language is communication. 

Yes Grumbler it is.  Now that you have realized this perhaps we will see a change in your posting style.