News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Graduate Degress: Are they worth it?

Started by CountDeMoney, February 18, 2012, 10:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Ideologue on February 22, 2012, 09:32:10 PM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on February 21, 2012, 04:28:30 AM
I have a B.A., a high GPA and a few honors, but am making ~$24,000 a year <_<
At least I enjoy my job :)

I find it interesting that of all Languish's under-30 American crowd, the only one who has a mainstream job is garbo.  Fireblade works for the higher education scam, and you, Tim, and soon I will be expatriates.

I guess it's some consolation to know that the world language will survive America.

Iirc Alci is in school, as am I, so there's still hope.

Although, I think Alci is going through ROTC. :hmm:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ideologue

Lettow's in school too. :P

I wasn't counting military service as mainstream, since it's potentially life-disruptive and isn't necessarily 9-5, 40 hours a week, and if you just walk out it's like a crime or something.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

FunkMonk

Quote from: Ideologue on February 22, 2012, 10:53:30 PM

I wasn't counting military service as mainstream, since it's potentially life-disruptive and isn't necessarily 9-5, 40 hours a week, and if you just walk out it's like a crime or something.

Yeah the military sucks. Good thing I left it. :P

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Ideologue on February 22, 2012, 10:11:48 PM
Vancouver isn't in the U.S. :secret:

Sure it is.  It's where people like Fahdiz can go across the river and experience the exhilaration of pumping their own gas.

Barrister

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 22, 2012, 11:37:10 PM

Sure it is.  It's where people like Fahdiz can go across the river and experience the exhilaration of pumping their own gas.

And the horror of having to pre-pay for the privilege. :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

That's not alien to the U.S., I assure you.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

11B4V

Quote from: Phillip V on February 21, 2012, 01:02:43 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 20, 2012, 04:16:22 PM
Quote from: Jacob on February 20, 2012, 03:58:59 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on February 20, 2012, 01:53:20 PMYou and your colleagues' failures to get degrees demonstrate the inability to follow through with anything. Thus, you will all fail personally and professionally.

Failing with a six figure salary is okay, I think, even in this day and age.

Not that I'm making six figures. This start up business doesn't pay that well up front (and maybe not in the end either).

However, you are the exception are you not?  Would you counsel your kids, when you have them, to roll the dice and take the chance of being successful without a degree in their hip pocket?
Our kids can be exceptions, too. :D

I am in the 6-figure salary camp with no degree. However, I am slowly working on a Bachelor of Art in History from an online degree mill.

Bingo
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: FunkMonk on February 22, 2012, 11:12:00 PM

No it doesn't.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Tonitrus

Quote from: 11B4V on February 23, 2012, 12:08:03 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on February 22, 2012, 11:12:00 PM

No it doesn't.

It's not for everyone. 

But also, it has opportunities for a wide range of people.  If you want to be a hardass, you can join the Marines.  If you're gay, the Navy.  If you like dealing with a constant diarrhea of stupid bullshit, there is the Army.  If you want to be a semi-lazy computer gamer, there are Air Force jobs like the one I have.  :P

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

sbr

God I hate crossing that river, Washingtonians are horrible drivers.  Unfortunately I have friends up there and that is where most of the large get-togethers end up.

Tonitrus

Quote from: sbr on February 23, 2012, 12:42:12 AM

God I hate crossing that river, Washingtonians are horrible drivers.  Unfortunately I have friends up there and that is where most of the large get-togethers end up.

I've driven across Oregon a number of times, you guys aren't any better.

But then, I pretty much think drivers everywhere suck at this point.

And this is also true....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkxaF5Pq5D8

fhdz

When I moved to Oregon, it was a 2200-mile road trip. I remember very vividly getting out of the car at a gas station to fill it and having the attendant RUN in my direction, waving his hands around and saying "no no no" like I had dynamite strapped to my chest.
and the horse you rode in on