And we're back!

Main Menu

Graduate Degress: Are they worth it?

Started by CountDeMoney, February 18, 2012, 10:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 22, 2012, 02:11:24 PM
Quote from: grumbler on February 21, 2012, 07:30:38 AM
but you might want to consider the idea that the purpose of language is communication. 

Yes Grumbler it is.  Now that you have realized this perhaps we will see a change in your posting style.
And since you haven't realized this, I presume that we will not see a change in yours.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

grumbler and crazy canuck, what are you guys talking about?

crazy canuck

Grumbler once again took a cheap shot and objects to being called on it.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 22, 2012, 02:26:53 PM
Grumbler once again took a cheap shot and objects to being called on it.

In other words, I again pointed out the inanity of a point CC made (to the effect that he didn't care that what he called an LL.M was referred to by everyone else as a J.D.; he considered the popular term to be a "marketing gimmick" and his unpopular one "what it is" even though both are just labels taken from a dead language), he tried to get snippy, in a humorously bungled way.

I certainly don't have a dog in the LL.M versus JD fight, but I found the idea that the label "Legum Magister" is more "what [something] is" than "Juris Doctor" highly amusing.  There certainly may be good reasons to prefer to use LL.M rather than JD, but "what it is" doesn't strike me as one of the possibilities.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

I see, so you didnt understand the history of how LLBs came to be called JDs. 

Malthus

Isn't it LLBs that became JDs?

The point I thought was to 'game' the system of comparative "worth" of degrees in wholly different fields - that some bureaucracies were handing out certain salary perks for having degrees, based on the academic bachelor - master - doctorate triad. Lawyers felt they were getting shortchanged by having a degree that said it was a "bachelor" in the title, and (presumably) having their degree rank with a lowly bachlorate in the pay-scale.

Naturally, lawyers in typical legal practice don't care, because no client cares what you call your degree.

Edit: the controversy reminds me somewhat of the Dr. Suess story The Sneeches: soon enough, those of us who have LLBs will be scarce, and thus more prestigeous.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Anyway, I'm sorta in agreement with BB - calling it a "doctorate" or a "bachlorate" are both not really on point, because both indicate a comparison with other degrees that isn't really all that accurate. Professional degrees are not really easily compared with academic degrees or other professional degrees, doing so tends to be misleading rather than helpful.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 20, 2012, 01:25:06 AM
At Hopkins, we always gave the Brits and Indians the option of putting 'MD' on their ID badges, because so many people didn't know what an MBBS was over here, and it would often confuse them.

WHADDYA MEAN HES JUST GOT TWO BACHELORS DEGREES
What difference would that make?  Don't Americans assume that foreign credentials are worthless anyways?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on February 21, 2012, 04:28:30 AM
I have a B.A., a high GPA and a few honors, but am making ~$24,000 a year <_<
At least I enjoy my job :)

I find it interesting that of all Languish's under-30 American crowd, the only one who has a mainstream job is garbo.  Fireblade works for the higher education scam, and you, Tim, and soon I will be expatriates.

I guess it's some consolation to know that the world language will survive America.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 22, 2012, 02:54:21 PM
I see, so you didnt understand the history of how LLBs came to be called JDs.

It's because Harvard's seminary, med school, and some other school were all more loftily named, iirc. and also because of Dean Langdell's insistence upon a more theoretical course of study, thereby fucking up the training of American lawyers for all time.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Monoriu

Quote from: Ideologue on February 22, 2012, 09:32:10 PM

I find it interesting that of all Languish's under-30 American crowd, the only one who has a mainstream job is garbo.  Fireblade works for the higher education scam, and you, Tim, and soon I will be expatriates.

And you guys still don't believe that I was better off leaving Vancouver.  Sorry, can't resist.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

HVC

Quote from: Ideologue on February 22, 2012, 09:32:10 PM

I guess it's some consolation to know that the world language will survive America.
I'm an accountant and GF is.. uhm i don't know what the hell he is now but he works in an office.

*edit* er missed the american part... carry on.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue