Started by Josquius, January 31, 2012, 07:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Quote from: alfred russel on February 19, 2012, 02:25:02 PM
Ide, would it be better to use your law degree now that you have it? Could you be a lawyer in the air force? Or, perhaps less excitingly, volunteer work while you look for a job?

JAG is one of the more competitive areas of law.  Everyone wants to do it.  You can't just walk in off the street to a recruiter, and casually drop your J.D. on his desk--unfortunately. :(

That said, it does give me pause.  On the one hand, the bar will still be here when I get back (unless it isn't, or I don't get back :menace: ).  On the other, while by career services' standards I'm "using" my J.D. since Tim's benefactors seem to rather enjoy my "doctorate"--then again by career services' standards I'm "using" my J.D. right now to make salads (oh, btw, I'm being promoted :rolleyes: )--it does seem like a true abandonment of the possibility of a career.

On the third hand, it's very likely I've burned that bridge already.  Fuck it.

Unless I get a gov't gig in the next very little while.  Iirc, I still have more than a dozen outstanding apps.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 19, 2012, 08:19:50 PM
Great news, apparently their prospect flaked out. You're in! :o

:o

Tim, what is the candy situation in the RoK?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on February 19, 2012, 10:30:28 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 19, 2012, 08:19:50 PM
Great news, apparently their prospect flaked out. You're in! :o

:o

Tim, what is the candy situation in the RoK?
Some of the stuff isn't quite as sweet, but we got a CostCo near by with American food.

Hurry up and get that FBI check.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Maybe you said so already, but is there a preferred order I should do all this in?  I'm thinking--and I believe you are too--the FBI check first, in case they bounce me.
Kinemalogue

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on February 19, 2012, 10:39:08 PM
Maybe you said so already, but is there a preferred order I should do all this in?  I'm thinking--and I believe you are too--the FBI check first, in case they bounce me.
FBI check first, then the Passport request. If you haven't done this yet. DO IT TODAY.

Oh, and you need to get the TEFL certificate. It can be done in a single weekend, but then it takes like ten days for the certificate to ship from England unless you have them Fed Ex it.

The other stuff can all be done while waiting for the FBI check.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Well, fine.  But I'm gonna be disappointed and out some cash (although the passport is technically useful otherwise) if they bounce me.
Kinemalogue

Monoriu

Will going to S. Korea to teach English potentially damage your chances of a legal career down the road?

Ideologue

Sort of, but I believe not significantly more so than the gap that already exists.

Hell, if I get to know any Korean attorneys or businesspeople--which I don't know how I would, but it seems more likely to occur than if I'm in South Carolina, I could parley it into legally useful experience, and learning Korean would be a useful skill.
Kinemalogue

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on February 19, 2012, 10:29:52 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on February 19, 2012, 02:25:02 PM
Ide, would it be better to use your law degree now that you have it? Could you be a lawyer in the air force? Or, perhaps less excitingly, volunteer work while you look for a job?

JAG is one of the more competitive areas of law.  Everyone wants to do it.  You can't just walk in off the street to a recruiter, and casually drop your J.D. on his desk--unfortunately. :(

That said, it does give me pause.  On the one hand, the bar will still be here when I get back (unless it isn't, or I don't get back :menace: ).  On the other, while by career services' standards I'm "using" my J.D. since Tim's benefactors seem to rather enjoy my "doctorate"--then again by career services' standards I'm "using" my J.D. right now to make salads (oh, btw, I'm being promoted :rolleyes: )--it does seem like a true abandonment of the possibility of a career.

On the third hand, it's very likely I've burned that bridge already.  Fuck it.

Unless I get a gov't gig in the next very little while.  Iirc, I still have more than a dozen outstanding apps.

I wouldn't give up on using your law degree. On the up side, while I doubt anyone is going to give you credit for using your degree to teach english in Korea, that is a kind of adventure that will cause people to overlook a gap (working in a restaurant, probably not  :P).

Career services at USC should really be helping you. Maybe they would have some advice for skill sets you could work on that would make you marketable when you get back. Maybe if you can learn some Korean that could open doors for employment in LA or SF.

Good luck whatever happens.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on February 19, 2012, 10:49:13 PM
Sort of, but I believe not significantly more so than the gap that already exists.

When did you graduate?

Also, does anyone know what happened to disturbed pervert?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ideologue

Quote from: alfred russel on February 19, 2012, 10:50:51 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 19, 2012, 10:49:13 PM

When did you graduate?

May 2011.

QuoteAlso, does anyone know what happened to disturbed pervert?

Sold for parts.
Kinemalogue

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on February 19, 2012, 10:47:32 PM
Well, fine.  But I'm gonna be disappointed and out some cash (although the passport is technically useful otherwise) if they bounce me.
1st of all it will be good to know if that shows up on your FBI check because it's almost certain you will have to get one some time latter in life.

2ndly, as you said, a passport is useful in and of itself and will last ten years.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Whoop, sorry.

QuoteCareer services at USC should really be helping you. Maybe they would have some advice for skill sets you could work on that would make you marketable when you get back. Maybe if you can learn some Korean that could open doors for employment in LA or SF.

They've asked me to come in, and you know, I really should, but they're not really very useful--"here's a job posting from the SC government jobs board, Hunter!" "Yeah, I know, and here are four more that you didn't see; I'm actually better at your minimal duties than you are"--but especially since I've opted out of the bar because of the decline in barred attorney hiring and wages (and I still say it only seems like a terrible idea in hindsight, and at least saved me a couple of thousand bucks).
Kinemalogue

jimmy olsen

By the way, PM me your facebook address

1 Karma Chameleon point