News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Dog Megathread

Started by fhdz, January 25, 2012, 07:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on June 24, 2014, 06:15:10 PM
Today Princesca caught Roscoe playing with a mole in the backyard.  He had the mole in his jaws and was shaking it back and forth.  She said the mole was squeaking its little head off (I didn't realize moles even made noise).  This is the second time we've caught him playing with moles, and last week I twice caught him playing with a toad.  I am not sure I like his new habit of torturing vermin, especially since it doesn't involve driving the damn rabbits away that constantly screw with my trees.

You should give him a special treat for killing/torturing moles.  Damned things rip up a perfectly good yard.

I caught another one Sunday morning.  Trap done killed him good.  He's uglier than the one I got last year.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

KRonn

Squirrels are raiding my corn field again, like last year. So I put out a trap yesterday and caught a squirrel that day. This morning I saw another squirrel in my garden and it took off as I approached. So I set the trap again, baited with peanut butter. Damn critters. I never figured squirrels would go after corn! I should get a dog and let it roam the back yard to keep the critters out.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 24, 2014, 06:17:20 PM
Rabbits must be exterminated. Or relocated.

:yes:

What an asshole.  What are you, the Wabbit-SS

derspiess

Quote from: KRonn on July 22, 2014, 01:38:24 PM
Squirrels are raiding my corn field again, like last year. So I put out a trap yesterday and caught a squirrel that day. This morning I saw another squirrel in my garden and it took off as I approached. So I set the trap again, baited with peanut butter. Damn critters. I never figured squirrels would go after corn! I should get a dog and let it roam the back yard to keep the critters out.

Oh yeah, they love corn.  I put dried ears of corn out for my squirrels in the backyard.  I'm okay with the squirrels & rabbits & most other things that roam through my back yard.  But I gave up on planting anything due to the damned deer.  They even ate up a Colorado Spruce I planted.  And of course there's the moles.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

KRonn

I occasionally see deer but they don't roam in my neighborhood much. I think if they did I'd put up a taller fence than what I have now so they couldn't jump it. I've had problems with woodchucks and man, they can go through a lot of crops in one day.  I see rabbits sometimes but I don't seem to have problems with them with the fence, but I watch as I assume they may dig under it, and I have the fence dug into the ground a bit to make going under more difficult.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 22, 2014, 01:48:16 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on June 24, 2014, 06:17:20 PM
Rabbits must be exterminated. Or relocated.

:yes:

What an asshole.  What are you, the Wabbit-SS

You can't insult me in a timely manner now?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

What happened.  :lol:

L: 10 weeks R: 8 mos (around 90lbs)
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

Quote from: 11B4V on July 23, 2014, 03:54:40 PM

:cool:

I'd guess about $500 of dog food.  :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

Quote from: mongers on July 23, 2014, 04:32:46 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on July 23, 2014, 03:54:40 PM

:cool:

I'd guess about $500 of dog food.  :D

Probably more than that
56.00 24lbs bag

plus

vitamins

:P
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Caliga

Yesterday afternoon Roscoe was laying on the couch and suddenly, out of nowhere, had a grand mal seizure. :(  During it he peed all over the couch and when it was done he stood in the center of the basement growling, barking, and foaming at the mouth for like 15 minutes.  When he finally calmed down we got him into the SUV and took him to the animal hospital.  By then he was acting completely normal, and they did a bunch of tests including an ultrasound and didn't see anything obviously wrong.

So we bring him home, and about two or so hours later has another one while laying in his crate.  At the end of it he clamped down on the crate with his jaws and pulled so hard he ripped one of the bars out.  So it was back into the car and to the animal hospital, where they're keeping him for a day for observation.

He's five years old and while dogs do sometimes have human-like epilepsy, it tends to develop much younger. :ph34r:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

They've got meds for that sort of thing, Cal.

I thought my lazy ass cat was having a seizure the other day, but it turned out she was just stretching.

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on August 04, 2014, 05:26:55 AM
Yesterday afternoon Roscoe was laying on the couch and suddenly, out of nowhere, had a grand mal seizure. :(  During it he peed all over the couch and when it was done he stood in the center of the basement growling, barking, and foaming at the mouth for like 15 minutes.  When he finally calmed down we got him into the SUV and took him to the animal hospital.  By then he was acting completely normal, and they did a bunch of tests including an ultrasound and didn't see anything obviously wrong.

So we bring him home, and about two or so hours later has another one while laying in his crate.  At the end of it he clamped down on the crate with his jaws and pulled so hard he ripped one of the bars out.  So it was back into the car and to the animal hospital, where they're keeping him for a day for observation.

He's five years old and while dogs do sometimes have human-like epilepsy, it tends to develop much younger. :ph34r:

Wow our Roscoe had seizures his whole life too.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 04, 2014, 10:12:35 AM
They've got meds for that sort of thing, Cal.
I know.  He is now on them... same exact stuff they give humans for epilepsy.

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on August 04, 2014, 11:24:28 AM
Wow our Roscoe had seizures his whole life too.
Listen up people:  don't name your dogs Roscoe.  :Embarrass: