News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Dog Megathread

Started by fhdz, January 25, 2012, 07:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on July 01, 2017, 02:22:10 AM
I've wanted a greyhound for a long time now.  A friend of mine had one they had rescued from racing, or she was "retired" (which means too old or slow I assume), or something like that, and she was the sweetest dog I've ever met.  Remarkably lazy, but fun when she felt like it.  I really doubt I have enough space for one though. 

I've talked to Greyhound Rescue people plenty of times.  Actually, retired racing greyhounds are perfect for apartment living or staying at home all day in a small home; though they're large frames, they're conditioned to deal with long periods of downtime between racing, they are very sedate (with large bladders) and can handle long stretches without anybody at home, and they rarely bark.  Just be sure to make time for them once or twice a week to really let them stretch their legs. :)

And "retired" just means they don't run them anymore;  they don't usually go beyond 2 or 3 seasons, and are pretty much finished by 5 years old.  Incredibly sweet, and even-tempered. 

HVC

They really do make great pets. But must never be off leash because if they see something they're off and there's no calling them back.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: HVC on July 01, 2017, 07:49:49 AM
They really do make great pets. But must never be off leash because if they see something they're off and there's no calling them back.

Yeah, find an enclosed dog park, and watch them do their Belmont Stakes thing until their done.

Jacob

Quote from: HVC on July 01, 2017, 07:49:49 AM

Yah I saw a dude futilely chasing his off leash Whippet. Every block or so the dog would stop and look back, waiting patiently for the owner to make it about halfway up the block. Then she'd take off at high speed for another block. Looked like she was having a grand old time. Good cardio for her owner too.

And a Whippet has nothing on an actual Greyhound.

The Brain

Recently on Easter Island we briefly got a dog. We were gonna hike from town up to Orongo on the tip of the volcano nearby (site of the Birdman ritual), and halfway through town one of the street dogs started walking with us. So far not so unusual. But unlike all the others during the trip this one just kept with us. All the way up the volcano, around the Orongo site (with lots of other tourists around), and then back to town. We tried to tell her to go do something else (we had no plans to feed her), but she wouldn't listen. She was very well behaved (except that cows and horses just had to be barked at), was a great walking companion, patiently waited outside when we went into stores and restaurants... I would love to have a dog like her. As we walked through town local dogs came up to greet her but she didn't let anything distract her from following us. When we were back in town another dog seemed to be interested in her and stuck with her (and growled away other dogs who got too close), so then we had two dogs following us around.

After having had lunch and done some shopping we finally lost them (without really planning to, but we wanted her to do something more productive with her time foodwise than following us) by exiting a store through a different door than the one we came in. After siesta at the hotel we went out for dinner some hours later. Two blocks from the hotel we spotted Lady and the Tramp on the other side of the street. They immediately came over and rejoined us. When we had dinner and drinks she patiently waited a while but eventually they started trying to follow other tourists outside the restaurant and after a while they probably found someone who suited them so when we left the restaurant they had finally moved on.

It was nice to have a dog for a day (I've never had a dog).

She's a good dog. :)

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Caliga

My dog is being trained right now to not go ballistic when people come to the door.  Given the fact that she's a chihuahua, I am skeptical this will 'stick'. :sleep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

We're trying to train our beagle puppy that she can't just jump up onto the table and steal food off of people's plates. <_<
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

My wife's best friend has two dogs, and they are exceptionally well trained - they respond to words of command, they never bark unless told to guard something; she even makes them do this whole ritual before they are fed - they have to do a little dance, turn around a few times, and sit in their places. They wear leashes when walked, but the leashes are not necessary - they naturally walk with you, stop when told, and are not distracted.

It's so odd to see, because everyone else I know who has dogs, has dogs that are just hopelessly untrained - lovable goofballs to be sure, but bark maniacally, do not respond to any commands, pull on their leashes, will run into the street chasing squirrels, etc.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

My chihuahua does know a lot of tricks.  She can shake hands, sit, lie down, give me high-fives, she knows "leave it" (i.e. if you drop something you don't want her to mess with), and she's great on a leash.  She's just high strung, that's all.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

HVC

my cousin had a chihuahua (I think it had some min pincher in him, based on his appearance) that she had to put on anti anxiety meds :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Caliga on January 16, 2020, 03:54:25 PM
My dog is being trained right now to not go ballistic when people come to the door.  Given the fact that she's a chihuahua, I am skeptical this will 'stick'. :sleep:

Get a real dog.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Caliga on January 16, 2020, 03:54:25 PM

We have not been able to train any dog we have had not to be excited about greeting people at the door.  With our current dog we put her in her kennel when people come in, ask the guest if they are ok with a dog lavishing love on them, if they say no the dog stays in the kennel. If they say yes, they get the full on greeting.