News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Dog Megathread

Started by fhdz, January 25, 2012, 07:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

He is getting big!  Great looking dog. :wub:

We have finally convinced our dog that other dogs are permitted to walk on the same street/pathway as her.  She doesn't like it but she has learned to live with the great unwashed.

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

fhdz

sbr

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

fhdz

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

sbr

http://news.yahoo.com/hank-dog-headed-home-milwaukee-204459715--spt.html

QuoteHank the dog headed to new home in Milwaukee

PHOENIX (AP) — That little white dog is now a big leaguer.

Hank, the bedraggled ball of fur who wandered into the Brewers' spring training complex back on President's Day looking for one more chance, will head to Milwaukee and his new home on Sunday.

"There are so many people who have been part of the Hank story: fans, players and coaches, front office staff, media and all of those in his circle of caregivers," Brewers general manager Doug Melvin said Friday. "We're grateful to have an opportunity to make Hank a permanent member of the Brewers family, but even more important, we're thrilled that he is going to a great family that will ensure that he is loved and comfortable in his new Wisconsin home."

Hank will fly back to Milwaukee on a charter flight with Brewers executives, sponsors and family members and will be welcomed to the city by Mayor Tom Barrett and County Executive Chris Abele.

The Wisconsin Humane Society received more than 1,000 offers to adopt Hank, but have not identified his new owners.

The dog was found wandering around Maryvale Baseball Park by a security guard on Feb. 17. He was covered with dirt and it appeared the dog had been hit by a car. A team official took him to a veterinarian, who estimated the pooch was 2-to-3 years old. Team employees hung lost dog signs around the Maryvale neighborhood on Phoenix's west side.

He was named Hank in honor of Milwaukee Braves and Brewers great Hank Aaron and became an immediate hit with the players, who took turns walking and caring for the dog.

Still no definitive word, by the way, on exactly what kind of dog Hank is. He looks like a sort of mixed breed, maybe with some combination of poodle, terrier, Maltese and Lhasa apso. But whatever his pedigree, he's earned his place on the major league roster.

"We want to thank all of those who have made the effort to give Hank the care he needed down here in Arizona, as the top priority has always been to put his health and happiness first," Brewers Chief Operating Officer Rick Schlesinger said. "In addition to this being a captivating story, our goal has been to shed more light on the issue of stray and homeless pets, a problem that is not unique to just Arizona and Wisconsin."

The Brewers have worked closely with the Arizona and Wisconsin Humane Societies to give Hank proper care and to help raise awareness of animals needing homes.

"We are so grateful for the amazing care he has received, and for the way the players and the Brewers organization have used Hank's story to highlight the needs of homeless animals like him," Wisconsin Humane Society President Anne Reid said. "We know he'll love Milwaukee."

Stray in Arizona or a home in Milwaukee.... :hmm:

fhdz

CountDeMoney

I'm sure some of you have seen this already, it made national news and got as far as the Guardian.

QuoteOfficer charged with killing dog set out to 'gut' it, witnesses said
Internal investigators say the emergency services officer slit throat of Shar-Pei that was already contained

By Justin George, The Baltimore Sun
10:20 AM EDT, June 19, 2014

A Baltimore police officer slit the throat of a dog officers had under control and now faces felony animal cruelty charges, the department said Wednesday.

Police Deputy Commissioner Dean Palmere called the killing "outrageous and unacceptable" and said internal affairs is investigating the incident, which took place Saturday morning in Brewers Hill.

Baltimore City Councilman Robert W. Curran, council liaison to the Mayor's Anti-Animal Abuse Advisory Commission, said there was no reason to have killed the dog if it was restrained with a dog-control pole, as police say it was.

"It's pretty astounding that our public safety officers would ever have done this," Curran said. "If you're on the pole, usually, you're pretty much at bay, you're not a threat."

The officer, identified as Jeffrey Bolger, 49, was booked Wednesday and released on his own recognizance. He faces charges of animal cruelty, aggravated animal cruelty and malfeasance in office. Bolger's attorney could not be reached for comment Thursday morning.

Witnesses at the scene told police that Bolger, who has worked in the department's Special Operations Section since 1992, was talking about killing the animal as he got out of his vehicle.

"I'm going to [expletive] gut this thing," witnesses heard him say, according to the charging document.

After another officer managed to gain control of it, Bolger cut its throat with a knife, witnesses told police. The animal bled out before Animal Control arrived, police said.

Other officers at the scene have been forthcoming with details, police say, but investigators are trying to determine whether the incident should have been disclosed sooner. Investigators didn't learn of the killing until Monday — two days afterward. (Easy, they don't work the desks on weekends)

"Completely unnecessary, completely cruel, no patience," said the dog's owner, Sarah Gossard of Canton. "This is a living thing. If I had a 7-year-old kid, is this how you would treat my kid? I don't have a kid. I have this dog."

The killing of the 7-year-old Shar-Pei named Nala came a day after a Baltimore police officer shot to death a steer in Mount Vernon after it had escaped a slaughterhouse and evaded capture for about two miles. That incident also is under department investigation, but officials have defended the officer's use of force.

Baltimore police Deputy Commissioner Jerry Rodriguez said there was no "viable" way to justify the killing of the Shar-Pei, which took place in the 700 block of Grundy St. in Brewers Hill.

"We have no words to describe this," he said.

On the morning of June 14, Gossard said, she let her dog out and didn't notice an open gate.

A woman later saw Nala and tried to catch the dog, but it bit her, wounding the woman superficially, Palmere said. Officers from the Southeastern District arrived and corralled the dog while summoning police Emergency Services officers, who carry the long dog-control poles that can safely lasso stray dogs.

Robbe Reddinger, a Brewers Hill resident, said he awoke to commotion and saw officers outside his window chasing the dog around an empty lot at Grundy and Dillon streets. Eventually officers cornered the dog in an area out of Reddinger's view.

After the dog had been cornered, Reddinger said, "I heard it yelp a few times. It was kind of a weird yelp, and then I didn't hear anything after that. Then they dragged it. There was one cop who drug it out of the corner to where I could see it again."

He said police dragged the dog with the control pole into the open, then shook the noose loose from around the dog's neck. An officer stood over Nala for about a minute before walking away, Reddinger said.

Palmere said Wednesday that the dog died after it had been detained with a dog-control pole and then its throat had been slit.

Gossard said she doesn't understand why police didn't just call her to the scene. She said her phone number was included on Nala's tags. Her dog had not bitten anyone before, she said, and was just scared.

"These people are supposed to be taking care of our community," Gossard said, "and I'm so horrified by what they did and it's completely unnecessary."

Rodriguez said no motive or provocation could justify the killing, adding that the department had "gone through great lengths" during animal-control training, he said.

Police are investigating whether the knife used was issued by police. Rodriguez said many officers carry knives, which is a common on-the-job tool.

"There is no procedures or training that justifies this behavior," Rodriguez said.

The second officer that held the dog down has been suspended.

Left, the victim.  On the right, your typical fucking sociopath that's been on the job for far too long and should've been drummed out years ago.

Did not know him or remember him, but those Special Ops guys are on the lowest rung on the performance ladder, even lower than the wagon guys.  Too healthy for a desk gig, and just barely competent enough not to get themselves fired because they don't routinely interact with the public.

Christ, that department has personnel issues.

11B4V

QuoteOn the right, your typical fucking sociopath that's been on the job for far too long and should've been drummed out years ago.

:yes: POS
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Caliga

Today Princesca caught Roscoe playing with a mole in the backyard.  He had the mole in his jaws and was shaking it back and forth.  She said the mole was squeaking its little head off (I didn't realize moles even made noise).  This is the second time we've caught him playing with moles, and last week I twice caught him playing with a toad.  I am not sure I like his new habit of torturing vermin, especially since it doesn't involve driving the damn rabbits away that constantly screw with my trees.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Rabbits must be exterminated. Or relocated.

:yes:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.