News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Dog Megathread

Started by fhdz, January 25, 2012, 07:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Missouri is like a mecca for puppy mills.  There was a state referendum to outlaw them, which passed (Raz voted for it), but the general assembly voted it back in cause the law might "hurt farmers".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Figures.  Completely unregulated bullshit industry.  Amish are the worst offenders, treat those animals worse than their women.

Josquius

mutts are best anyway.
though one slight negative of rescue dogs is you're less likely to be able to be  one everywhere young.which is desirable for most.

pet shops make me sad. can't help but feel horrible at the obvious truth that there will be unsold merchandise...
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 30, 2012, 01:49:19 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 30, 2012, 01:44:14 PM
Still baffles my mind that they people would pay half a grand for a dog when you can get a perfectly good dog for free.

And considering all the inbreeding that's done at puppy mills for specific breeds, you get nothing but genetically broken dogs with tons of health and behavioral issues, when plenty of healthy, mixed mutts are lying around the pound.

Which the veterinarian industry just love, can't have healthy robust hybrids enjoying life out and about, when you can have a pile of inbreed mutants clogging up the waiting rooms of their lucrative businesses. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

sbr

Quote from: Tyr on December 30, 2012, 02:22:22 PM
mutts are best anyway.
though one slight negative of rescue dogs is you're less likely to be able to be  one everywhere young.which is desirable for most.

pet shops make me sad. can't help but feel horrible at the obvious truth that there will be unsold merchandise...

No worse than the "unsold merchandise" at the pounds or shelters.  At least the puppy mill critters never knew anything other than a cramped crate.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on December 30, 2012, 02:27:56 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 30, 2012, 01:49:19 PMAnd considering all the inbreeding that's done at puppy mills for specific breeds, you get nothing but genetically broken dogs with tons of health and behavioral issues, when plenty of healthy, mixed mutts are lying around the pound.

Which the veterinarian industry just love, can't have healthy robust hybrids enjoying life out and about, when you can have a pile of inbreed mutants clogging up the waiting rooms of their lucrative businesses.

I sincerely doubt your friends in the veterinary lobby would hurt for business if puppy mills were gone.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: sbr on December 30, 2012, 02:29:45 PM
No worse than the "unsold merchandise" at the pounds or shelters.  At least the puppy mill critters never knew anything other than a cramped crate.

Except in the one case, humans are involved in increasing supply.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: sbr on December 30, 2012, 02:29:45 PM

Shelter animals are up to their asses in enrichment activities and socialization, it is a priority issue for these animals to be proven adoptable.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on December 30, 2012, 01:44:14 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 30, 2012, 07:56:05 AM
Instead of feeding the immoral and abusive designer dog puppy mill machine, why not go down to the local shelter and adopt a homeless dog that was surrendered because someone lost their home, or passed away, or was too elderly to take care of their animal anymore?

Oh wait, we're talking about selfish assed faggots here.  Nevermind.

Yeah, Every animal I ever gotten was an adoption.  Except for some fish when I was a kid.  You don't find fish at the pound.  Still baffles my mind that they people would pay half a grand for a dog when you can get a perfectly good dog for free.

When I'm rich, I shall need a pack of wolfhounds to patrol the grounds of the manor.  :bowler:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Scipio

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 30, 2012, 02:35:41 PM
Quote from: mongers on December 30, 2012, 02:27:56 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 30, 2012, 01:49:19 PMAnd considering all the inbreeding that's done at puppy mills for specific breeds, you get nothing but genetically broken dogs with tons of health and behavioral issues, when plenty of healthy, mixed mutts are lying around the pound.

I sincerely doubt your friends in the veterinary lobby would hurt for business if puppy mills were gone.
I know too many vets whose families run dog breeding operations to buy that response, Seedy.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

HVC

Not all dog breeders are puppy mills.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grey Fox

Quote from: HVC on January 01, 2013, 03:38:08 PM
Not all dog breeders are puppy mills.

All drug dealers arent mass producers either but it's only a stone throw away.

Mall pet shops should be illegal.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Scipio on January 01, 2013, 03:13:47 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 30, 2012, 02:35:41 PM

I know too many vets whose families run dog breeding operations to buy that response, Seedy.[/quote]

Are they running puppy mill dog breeding operations like fuckwit country ass Amish wholesale money-making operations, too?

merithyn

Only animals that I've ever bought are guinea pigs, hamsters, and fish. We didn't know about the guinea pig shelter until after we already got the guineas or we'd have gone that route. We'd checked the county animal shelter, but they didn't have any at the time we were looking. (Apparently, most people bring them to the guinea pig shelter instead of the animal shelter. Who knew?)

Shelter animals are the best. :wub:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

mongers

Quote from: merithyn on January 01, 2013, 09:13:15 PM
Only animals that I've ever bought are guinea pigs, hamsters, and fish. We didn't know about the guinea pig shelter until after we already got the guineas or we'd have gone that route. We'd checked the county animal shelter, but they didn't have any at the time we were looking. (Apparently, most people bring them to the guinea pig shelter instead of the animal shelter. Who knew?)

Shelter animals are the best. :wub:

Or dogs the old man brings back from the boozer on a piece of string.   :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"