George Lucas to give up film-making because of Star Wars critics

Started by Kleves, January 18, 2012, 09:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on January 19, 2012, 02:53:41 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 19, 2012, 02:36:41 PM
Quote from: The Brain on January 19, 2012, 02:28:37 PM
How many 70s space/fantasy movies had special effects that were as good as Star Wars (non-rhetorical)?

I am sorry I thought we were talking about their cultural importance now.  I was not around in the 70s (well I was but I was too young to pay any attention) so I cannot really judge the extent that the special effects alone played a role.

I am convinced that the cultural importance of Star Wars today is firmly based on what happened when it was released.

I was talking about the cultural imporance it had when it was released...

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on January 19, 2012, 11:34:08 AM
Quote from: Maximus on January 19, 2012, 11:18:40 AM
Quote from: mongers on January 18, 2012, 09:31:59 PM
I don't get the apparent cultural importance of Star Wars films amongst some languishites.

I just recall them as some sci-fi films, I can't think of any of my friends, current or childhood, who made a big thing of them.
That's because when you take nostalgia out of the picture they were all at about the same mediocre level.

I'd say the first one was a fun adventure movie, something that was increasingly rare during the 1970's.  This was during the "New Hollywood era", which produced some dull and dreadful films.  Star Wars was a bit of throwback, with simple morality and swashbuckling fun.  I think this is why is was so popular and why it resonated with audiences.  The second film was a bit darker and more complex, but still had many of those simple themes that audiences craved.  The third one kinda went off the rails after the first act.

If I had to pick only two films from the OT to survive, Star Wars wouldn't make it.  I like it, but Jedi is awesome; it is, unfortunately, misunderstood.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 19, 2012, 12:24:31 PM
Quote from: derspiess on January 19, 2012, 12:00:37 PM
GI Joe and Transformers both were bad TV shows designed to sell toys.

There weren't many 80s cartoons better than Transformers.

Transformers: The Movie redeems any crappiness inherent in the series.  By God, it may be the finest animated film ever made.  It is also amongst the ballsiest films ever made.  It would be like if Star Trek: The Motion Picture had killed Kirk ten minutes in and the movie was actually about Decker.  Also, it had an outstanding voice cast; tremendous imagination went into the various settings; it looked fucking awesome; the ending is suitably epic; and it had a most excellent soundtrack.  It's very close to a perfect film.

The only criticism I can see landing is that they don't pay much attention to physical scale, but fuck it, it's a kid's movie.

Yes, it was the first movie I ever saw in the theater.  What of it? -_-
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on January 19, 2012, 03:15:21 PM
Transformers: The Movie redeems any crappiness inherent in the series.  By God, it may be the finest animated film ever made.

:lol: It is terrible.  Granted I do like the 80s stadium rock.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Ideologue on January 19, 2012, 03:13:27 PM
I don't get the apparent cultural importance of Star Wars films amongst some languishites.

I just recall them as some sci-fi films, I can't think of any of my friends, current or childhood, who made a big thing of them.
That's because when you take nostalgia out of the picture they were all at about the same mediocre level.

I'd say the first one was a fun adventure movie, something that was increasingly rare during the 1970's.  This was during the "New Hollywood era", which produced some dull and dreadful films.  Star Wars was a bit of throwback, with simple morality and swashbuckling fun.  I think this is why is was so popular and why it resonated with audiences.  The second film was a bit darker and more complex, but still had many of those simple themes that audiences craved.  The third one kinda went off the rails after the first act.

If I had to pick only two films from the OT to survive, Star Wars wouldn't make it.  I like it, but Jedi is awesome; it is, unfortunately, misunderstood.

Yeah. Awesomely STUPID.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Quote from: katmai on January 19, 2012, 03:16:27 PM
Tell me Ide, how is it to be so full of fail?

In regards to Jedi or Transformers?  I need to know just how aesthetically retarded you are before I respond.
Kinemalogue

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on January 19, 2012, 03:18:15 PM
Yeah. Awesomely STUPID.

Finally The Brain and I agree.

Though as a kid seeing Jedi I just remember being baffled by it.  'Wait WTF just happened here?'
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on January 19, 2012, 03:22:01 PM
Yeah. Awesomely STUPID.

Finally The Brain and I agree.

Though as a kid seeing Jedi I just remember being baffled by it.  'Wait WTF just happened here?'

The Force is weak in this one.

Ideologue

Yeah. Awesomely STUPID.

That applies to pretty much the entire Star Wars trilogy.
Kinemalogue

The Brain

Quote from: Ideologue on January 19, 2012, 03:25:22 PM

Yeah. Awesomely STUPID.

That applies to pretty much the entire Star Wars trilogy.

Ewoks were even more stupider.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Quote from: katmai on January 19, 2012, 03:22:28 PM
On both counts.

So "exceptionally." :(

Like, I sort of see being annoyed by Jedi.  A lot of people hate on the Ewoks, focusing particularly the implausibility of their victory (yeah, because the Empire had previously been depicted as being competent?), and the division of the film into basically two parts (Tatooine and Endor) has some structural problems if you take it by itself and not with Empire as an indivisible set.  I think they overlook the really great parts--namely the exceptional effects work involved in the space battle, the excellence of the final lightsaber duel--that whole scene really--and the close of Luke's character arc.  Also, "Yub Nub" is a really fun song.

(Even more annoying is that the really major problem with Jedi tends to be ignored or celebrated, that is, its problematic depiction of a sexual assault--although granted this is more of a problem with people who were 14 when they saw it for the first time and don't understand that a giant talking penis stripping a woman down, making her wear fetish gear and trying to murder her is not hot.  I mean, what's up, proto-Lettow?)

I've explained why Transformers is great.  It's undeniable.  Yet you deny it.  Why do you hate art, and perhaps life itself?
Kinemalogue

Barrister

I've never gotten the Jedi hate.  So it has cute furry ewoks - when did Star Wars ever pretend to not play to the kids?  Perhaps it's because I like a good ending, and Jedi is a quite satisfactor ending to all the lose storylines - empire is defeated, Han rescued, anakin redeemed, Luke finds his family and Han finds his love.  The end.

But since I'm uncomfortable geing anywhere near Ideo in thei conversation, I will say he's smoking crack if he thinks Jedi is better than Star Wars (Ep IV).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.