And we're back!

Main Menu

Disclosure and sex

Started by Martinus, January 14, 2012, 02:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fate

Quote from: Martinus on January 14, 2012, 05:39:43 PM
Quote from: Drakken on January 14, 2012, 05:30:44 PM
None is more dangerous than HIV, Mart. Advances in treatment hasn't made it less lethal, they just lenghtened life expectation with somewhat normal lifestyle (the important word here being somewhat) and a little less pill-guzzling.

Hepatitis C is much more dangerous and easier to get.
Both are farily manageable these days. The most recent HepC protease inhibitors (telaprevir, boceprevir) are highly effective. We're never going to "cure" either HIV or HepC, but viral loads can be brought down to undetectable levels.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on January 14, 2012, 05:45:56 PM
It seems this board is full of communists, however, who believe people should be protected from themselves.

Which wouldn't be necessary if people weren't such fucking morons.

Martinus

Quote from: Fate on January 14, 2012, 05:49:03 PM
None is more dangerous than HIV, Mart. Advances in treatment hasn't made it less lethal, they just lenghtened life expectation with somewhat normal lifestyle (the important word here being somewhat) and a little less pill-guzzling.

Both are farily manageable these days. The most recent HepC protease inhibitors are highly effective. We're never going to "cure" either HIV or HepC, but viral loads can be brought down to undetectable levels.

Are you sure? I thought HepC is much more lethal.

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 14, 2012, 05:49:13 PM
It seems this board is full of communists, however, who believe people should be protected from themselves.

Which wouldn't be necessary if people weren't such fucking morons.

The education is out there, easily accessible. If someone wants to ride the thunder instead and have an unprotected sex with someone they just met, I think he or she has just himself or herself to blame.

dps

Quote from: Martinus on January 14, 2012, 05:42:47 PM
Quote from: dps on January 14, 2012, 05:34:48 PM
Not that Marti would care about this one, but for casual heterosexual sex, birth control usage.

It's similar to the disease one. If you trust a person enough to rely on his or her word, no formal disclosure is necessary. If you don't, you should use protection because you should not rely on his or her word alone.

Not to mention (correct me if I'm wrong as this is not my forte), does not a woman always know if the man is using protection? Because I see no reason why what she does with her body should be of a concern to him, so I see no reason why she should disclose to him she is on a pill - if he does not want to have a child, he should use a condom. Period.

Well, a woman wouldn't know if a guy had had a vasectomy, or was simply sterile.  But as far as condoms go, they really shouldn't be your primary means of birth control--they're more of a backup.

Fate

Quote from: Martinus on January 14, 2012, 05:50:30 PM

Both are farily manageable these days. The most recent HepC protease inhibitors are highly effective. We're never going to "cure" either HIV or HepC, but viral loads can be brought down to undetectable levels.

Are you sure? I thought HepC is much more lethal.
Yes, I'm sure. After 4-5 years of treatment 75-95% of people infected with Hepatitis C will have a "sustained response." This is medical jargon to say that they're aren't technically cured (as they will always have the virus), but they are asymptomatic. A certain number will relapse once treatment has stopped, but the progression of the virus can be halted.

Ideologue

Both are farily manageable these days. The most recent HepC protease inhibitors (telaprevir, boceprevir) are highly effective. We're never going to "cure" either HIV or HepC, but viral loads can be brought down to undetectable levels.

I wonder how the modified T-cell study is going.  Apparently they're not done yet.

QuoteAges Eligible for Study:      18 Years and older
Genders Eligible for Study:      Both
Accepts Healthy Volunteers:      No

Well, no shit.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: dps on January 14, 2012, 05:57:14 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 14, 2012, 05:42:47 PM
Quote from: dps on January 14, 2012, 05:34:48 PM
Not that Marti would care about this one, but for casual heterosexual sex, birth control usage.

It's similar to the disease one. If you trust a person enough to rely on his or her word, no formal disclosure is necessary. If you don't, you should use protection because you should not rely on his or her word alone.

Not to mention (correct me if I'm wrong as this is not my forte), does not a woman always know if the man is using protection? Because I see no reason why what she does with her body should be of a concern to him, so I see no reason why she should disclose to him she is on a pill - if he does not want to have a child, he should use a condom. Period.

Well, a woman wouldn't know if a guy had had a vasectomy, or was simply sterile.  But as far as condoms go, they really shouldn't be your primary means of birth control--they're more of a backup.

Other than for disease prevention, I don't see the point.

This is actually a serious question--do people really just routinely pop off inside women they're having sex with?  If so, why?  They took sex ed, right?  They know that correct pill usage is impossible to visually confirm and requires a degree of trust you would be unlikely to evince in any other situation, right?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

szmik

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 14, 2012, 03:20:10 PM
Great, another I-wanna-discuss-something-homoey-in-my-life-but-I'll-disguise-it-as-a-topic-even-though-everybody-knows-what-an-attention-whore-I-am Martinus thread.

Yes Marti, he should tell you if he's positive if you've asked him, even if he doesn't want to, before you fuck him.

OK?

See, you misread my intentions completely. I'm a firm believer in personal responsibility - if you decide to have sex with someone, then barring some extraordinary circumstances (e.g. that person has a weird disease that will kill you within 10 seconds from the moment you touch his or her skin) one should be prepared to face the music and protect oneself from such consequences as one does not wish to suffer. It seems this board is full of communists, however, who believe people should be protected from themselves.
... you of all people here call others communists :rolleyes:

btw, I agree, you never know so you should be prepared and suffer consequences. And people just lie.
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Ideologue

"Of all people."  Martinus, a leftist?  Unless having quasi-sex with dudes is enough to make you leftist these days, no.
Kinemalogue

Martinus

I'm not a Marxist, but I am centre-left when it comes to economy. My position can be best described as soc-liberalism.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on January 14, 2012, 05:48:34 PM
Btw, it's not for the first time, that I get the impression heterosexual people are much more careless and risk-taking in their sexual encounters.

ok
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

I've always thought of you as a centrist with enough deliberate aristocratic affectation to completely bar any left appellation, hyphenated or not.

The only real center-left that comes to mind immediately is Joan.  He has ridiculously rich person traits too, but doesn't wear them on his sleeve.

Then the moderate left is Jacob, Zoupa and Sheilbh, the radical left is me and Mihali, and the chaotic evil left is CdM.

Monger is actually an Ent, so does not count much in human affairs.
Kinemalogue

Martinus

Quote from: Ideologue on January 14, 2012, 07:03:31 PM
I've always thought of you as a centrist with enough aristocratic tendencies that completely bar any left appellation, hyphenated or not.

The only real center-left that comes to mind immediately is Joan.  He has ridiculously rich person traits too, but doesn't wear them on his sleeve.

The moderate left is Jacob, Zoupa and Sheilbh, the radical left is me and Mihali, and the chaotic evil left is CdM.

I have a lot of disdain for the poor and uneducated unwashed masses. That does not mean I cannot hold leftist views on how the state and economy should be organized. The first is a gut reaction, the second is a thought-out policy.

It's like someone who finds gay sex disgusting but supports gay rights - that does not make him a homophobe or a conservative.

mongers

Quote from: Ideologue on January 14, 2012, 07:03:31 PM

Monger is actually an Ent, so does not count much in human affairs.

:lol:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"