News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Disclosure and sex

Started by Martinus, January 14, 2012, 02:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: Ideologue on January 14, 2012, 07:29:22 PM

Well, I would do everybody.  (Lol. -_- )  Bearing in mind that I'm bound to forget some folks so don't be offended like I asked some other girl to the cotillion.  And some of you just don't talk politics enough for me to know where you stand.

At least I was included.  ;)

The Brain

Quote from: Ideologue on January 14, 2012, 07:38:42 PM
Quote from: The Brain on January 14, 2012, 07:33:55 PM
Where do I stand?

Girl I didn't ask to the cotillion.

I dunno.  You too often come off as apolitical, except when it directly affects you.  I'd say center-right, as I want to think you don't hold much truck with the Swedish welfare state, and you fear its coercive powers.

Advocacy of nuclear power is traditionally associated with the right, but I think that's only because a lot of my fellow leftists (not here, I mean in general) are retarded.

True. And I also fear thunder and abnormally tall people.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 15, 2012, 12:29:28 AM
That's patronizing, which is a variation on contempt.
Patronising isn't even on the same emotional scale as contempt, far less a variation of it.

However I don't even thinik the ideas behind what Obama's saying are that patronising.  As I say he expressed it really, really poorly.  But Franks' ideas don't seem really that different from any of the pop-sociology books that David Brooks writes, it's just they're about a different class.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 15, 2012, 11:53:06 AM
Patronising isn't even on the same emotional scale as contempt, far less a variation of it.

It's on the same psychological scale.  I think you're not capable of thinking for yourself so I treat you like a child.

Sheilbh

Okay.  I'd put contempt with disgust and scorn, not treating like a child.

But I still don't see why subscribing to one analysis of why certain people vote against what seems to be their economic self interest is patronising.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 15, 2012, 02:02:21 PM
But I still don't see why subscribing to one analysis of why certain people vote against what seems to be their economic self interest is patronising.

Because it's based on the premise that certain people are irrational.

Martinus

Ideologue

Quote from: The Brain on January 15, 2012, 04:14:02 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 14, 2012, 07:38:42 PM
Quote from: The Brain on January 14, 2012, 07:33:55 PM
Where do I stand?

Girl I didn't ask to the cotillion.

I dunno.  You too often come off as apolitical, except when it directly affects you.  I'd say center-right, as I want to think you don't hold much truck with the Swedish welfare state, and you fear its coercive powers.

Advocacy of nuclear power is traditionally associated with the right, but I think that's only because a lot of my fellow leftists (not here, I mean in general) are retarded.

True. And I also fear thunder and abnormally tall people.

Sweden is perhaps not the best place for you. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

I don't think patronizing behavior is the same as contemptuous.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

You can have contempt for someone's intellect and you can have contempt for someone's morals.  Contempt for intellect + good wishes = patronizing (patronization??)

Ideologue

I've always thought of contempt as requiring some actual malice.
Kinemalogue

sbr

Me too.  Though I would say patronizing would too.

Admiral Yi

Fair enough.  I was using contempt as a antonymn for esteem.  Can you esteem someone who you think is irrational?

Ideologue

I suppose.  We both find each other irrational from time to time; I hope you still hold me in some esteem. :(
Kinemalogue

Martinus

I think the word you are all looking for is "condescension".