News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

It's morning in Obama's America

Started by citizen k, January 07, 2012, 12:38:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Phillip V on January 09, 2012, 04:37:52 PM
'U.S. consumer borrowing rose by the most in a decade during November, surging 10% with Americans pulling out their credit cards as the holiday shopping season got rolling.'

http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2012/01/09/consumer-credit-surged-in-november/

Lol.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sheilbh

Apparently the NJ Legislature's planning to propose a gay marriage law soon.  I imagine that would complicate things for Christie if he does decide to run for President.
Let's bomb Russia!

Phillip V

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 09, 2012, 11:02:17 PM
Apparently the NJ Legislature's planning to propose a gay marriage law soon.  I imagine that would complicate things for Christie if he does decide to run for President.

Gay marriage was legalized in Massachusetts when Romney was governor.

Razgovory

And he's having such a smooth Primary. :lol:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on January 07, 2012, 02:42:49 PM
but come now, Carter was a failure and an abomination worse than a thousand Hitlers.

Nonsense.

Phillip V

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on January 07, 2012, 03:31:12 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on January 07, 2012, 02:42:49 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 07, 2012, 01:04:06 AM
Fuck Ronald Reagan.  I could have been born under the benevolent watch of Jimmy Carter.

But fuck Mitt Romney even harder.  He's evil.

I'll be the first to say Reagan is overrated (and I am a Reagan supporter), but come now, Carter was a failure and an abomination worse than a thousand Hitlers.

What exactly did Carter do that was "worse then a thousand Hitlers"?

Synthetic Oil program.  Attempting to implement a policy that would allow us to generate 25% of our own oil for consumption domestically by 1990, and since panzers used synthetic oil, too, there ya go.  See?

Razgovory

Quote from: Phillip V on January 10, 2012, 06:36:50 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 10, 2012, 06:35:04 AM

If he wins, yes.

Even if he wins, no.  He's been battered by his opponents and forced to spend vast amounts of cash.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Phillip V

Quote from: Razgovory on January 10, 2012, 06:45:25 AM
Quote from: Phillip V on January 10, 2012, 06:36:50 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 10, 2012, 06:35:04 AM

If he wins, yes.

Even if he wins, no.  He's been battered by his opponents and forced to spend vast amounts of cash.

And Obama didn't?

In any case, Romney spent vast more money in 2008.

Razgovory

No, Obama didn't.  Obama was the insurgent candidate.  Clinton was the establishment candidate.  2008 and 20011 aren't comparable since there wasn't many elections in 2011.  And I can't find a total amount of money spent in 2011.  All I found was a Wikipedia entry where he spent nearly half what he spent in his 2008 run and it only went to September.  He's also able to funnel money into SuperPacs this year, something new this time around.

CountDeMoney

Obama broke the record at the time for most money raised for a presidential campaign in 2008, Raztarski.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Phillip V on January 10, 2012, 04:51:10 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 09, 2012, 11:02:17 PM

Gay marriage was legalized in Massachusetts when Romney was governor.
Imposed on him by a liberal activist court - a Republican dream.  If this comes through the legislature then Christie will either have to sign it and hurt his chances of national office, or veto it and hurt his chances of re-election.  It's a totally different situation.

QuoteAnd Obama didn't?
Not to do with the money but I think the Obama-Clinton primary strengthened both of them as candidates.  The Republican primary this time seems to be diminishing everyone.
Let's bomb Russia!

Phillip V

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 10, 2012, 07:10:34 AM
QuoteAnd Obama didn't?
Not to do with the money but I think the Obama-Clinton primary strengthened both of them as candidates.  The Republican primary this time seems to be diminishing everyone.

Another revision. The narrative at the time was that Clinton needed to step aside early and let Obama focus on the general election; that her attacks like the March 2008 "3 AM phone call" were destroying Obama's election chances and irrevocably dividing the Democratic base.

CountDeMoney

I still think Hillary would've made a better president.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 10, 2012, 06:59:37 AM
Obama broke the record at the time for most money raised for a presidential campaign in 2008, Raztarski.

Well, there were only two presidential campaigns that went past the primary in 2008...  I think George W. set new records for campaign spending in 2004, and he didn't even have to worry about a Primary.