News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

It's morning in Obama's America

Started by citizen k, January 07, 2012, 12:38:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 10, 2012, 05:32:26 PM
Making a decision to fire employees because of economic requirments has nothing to do with liking doing it.  Liking the act of firing employees just makes you a cruel bastard.

:huh:

Have you read or seen what Romney said?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Phillip V on January 10, 2012, 05:36:12 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 10, 2012, 05:32:26 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 10, 2012, 05:28:00 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 10, 2012, 05:26:00 PM
"Liking" firing people has nothing to do with what you have just said.

It has everything to do with what Romney said.  If there's no relationship between our two posts then yours was a total non-sequitor.

Making a decision to fire employees because of economic requirments has nothing to do with liking doing it.  Liking the act of firing employees just makes you a cruel bastard.
Depends on which definition of "like" is being using. :rolleyes:

Which definition would you use - without reading something into the defintion Romney didnt actually say.

Phillip V

Attacks on Romney Prompt Backlash

'Republican critics argue that the attacks on Mitt Romney over his role at Bain Capital are attacks on the free-market system and help the Democrats.'

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/11/us/politics/new-hampshire-vote-seen-as-gauge-as-rivals-try-to-slow-romney.html
QuoteAttacks on Mitt Romney by some of his rivals set off outrage within the Republican Party on Tuesday as voters went to the polls and the candidates turned their attention to South Carolina.
Mr. Romney has been under attack for 48 hours over his role at Bain Capital, the investment firm he helped found. Gov. Rick Perry of Texas equated firms like Bain to "vultures," and Newt Gingrich demanded answers from Mr. Romney about how many jobs were lost on his watch.
Those statement prompted a backlash from other Republicans, much as similar comments were denounced several weeks ago. These critics argue that the attacks on Mr. Romney are attacks on the free-market system and help the Democrats.
"They are also using the language of the liberal left to attack private equity and condemn capitalism in a desperate and, frankly, unsavory attempt to tear down another Republican with tactics akin to those of MoveOn.org," said Jesse Benton, the campaign manager for Representative Ron Paul of Texas....Rush Limbaugh, the conservative radio host, accused Mr. Gingrich of sounding like Elizabeth Warren, the Democrat running for the United States Senate in Massachusetts against the Republican incumbent Scott Brown.
"This is not the kind of stuff you want said by Republicans," Mr. Limbaugh said on his show. "I mean, even the establishment Republicans don't go after conservatives this way."
"He's using language that the left uses, and he's attempting to make hay with this," he added. "You know, he's trying to dredge up and have long-lasting negatives attach to Romney — this is what's so unsettling about this — in the same way the left would say it." Mr. Perry and Mr. Gingrich offered no apologies on Tuesday for their rhetoric.

crazy canuck

Given those backlashing out I gain confidence in the correctness of my position.

Sheilbh

Romney was discussing purchasing insurance but used that language.  So it's not really anything to do with firing people.  But it's also a sentence that should just stop in the gap between mind and mouth if you're a politician.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 10, 2012, 06:29:07 PM
But it's also a sentence that should just stop in the gap between mind and mouth if you're a politician.

Yeah, that is the point.

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 10, 2012, 06:29:07 PM
Romney was discussing purchasing insurance but used that language.  So it's not really anything to do with firing people.  But it's also a sentence that should just stop in the gap between mind and mouth if you're a politician.
You are talking about what Romney actually said.  Crazy Canuck is talking about a strawman Romney comment that CC just made up out of thin air: "Making a decision to fire employees because of economic requirments has nothing to do with liking doing it."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 10, 2012, 06:39:59 PM
Good Lord.

It's CC.  He will now try to weasel out of the fact that he was erroneously assuming Romney was taking about "making a decision to fire employees because of economic requirments."

It's an amusing little game.  This time, I will let you push him until he starts with the ad homs.  :D
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: grumbler on January 10, 2012, 06:58:20 PM
This time, I will let you push him until he starts with the ad homs.  :D

No you won't.

Razgovory

CC, you need to work on your "Gotcha" debating tactics.  Then you won't have to put up with Grumbler's bullshit. :D
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on January 10, 2012, 06:58:20 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 10, 2012, 06:39:59 PM
Good Lord.

It's CC.  He will now try to weasel out of the fact that he was erroneously assuming Romney was taking about "making a decision to fire employees because of economic requirments."

It's an amusing little game.  This time, I will let you push him until he starts with the ad homs.  :D

The only other thing I can see, from his bit of agreement with Sheilbh, is a stance of "I'm wise enough to understand that what he actually said was x, but it could easily be misunderstood as y by other individuals, so it makes no practical difference whether he said x or y. He's at fault."

I don't really understand that position though.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on January 10, 2012, 07:46:04 PM
The only other thing I can see, from his bit of agreement with Sheilbh, is a stance of "I'm wise enough to understand that what he actually said was x, but it could easily be misunderstood as y by other individuals, so it makes no practical difference whether he said x or y. He's at fault."

There is no way I can see that one can take Romney's statement and interpret it in the way CC did.  He added a bunch of words Romney never used, and deleted a bunch that Romney did use.  Plus, he gets the context completely wrong.

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on January 10, 2012, 08:23:05 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 10, 2012, 07:46:04 PM

There is no way I can see that one can take Romney's statement and interpret it in the way CC did.  He added a bunch of words Romney never used, and deleted a bunch that Romney did use.  Plus, he gets the context completely wrong.

I'm pretty sure you're wrong.

If anyone is going to push CC to make ad hominem attacks in this thread it's you, not Yi.