Iran warns the US carrier against returning to the Persian gulf

Started by Martinus, January 03, 2012, 04:05:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: grumbler on January 04, 2012, 06:09:06 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on January 04, 2012, 12:47:25 PM
What would be interesting is the story of what the Soviet tactics actually were, and whether anyone was right in thier predictions.

Interesting in a different way, yes.  Inman outflanked his opposition by planting his preferred Red strategy in a work of popular fiction, changing the question from "why should we suppose a bastion strategy?" to "why shouldn't we suppose a bastion strategy?" in a Top Secret military CPX.  That was frickin' genius, IMO.  It didn't matter what strategy the Soviets were actually contemplating, in that sense.  A good strategy has to account for the worst that an enemy could do, not what you think he is going to do.

I briefed Inman and the Defense Science Board several times.  He always was the smartest guy on the board, and asked the best questions.  He was hell on lazy or hazy assumptions.

That is a cool story.  I know Clancy had a lot of chatter in the Pentagon back in the day, but this is a nice bit of info on how and why.
PDH!

jimmy olsen

If only the Iranians were telling the truth.

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/219346.html

QuoteUS deploys troops in Israel for Iran war

An unnamed source said the military deployment of US anti-missile ships and accompanying support personnel will occur in January and later this spring, Global Research reported.

Commander of the US Third Air Force based in Germany Lt.-Gen Frank Gorenc said it is not just an "exercise," but a "deployment," The Jerusalem Post said.

Washington and Tel Aviv have planned to hold what they call the largest-ever joint military exercise this spring.

The US commander visited Israel two weeks ago to confirm details for "the deployment of several thousand American soldiers to Israel."

The US General also visited one of Israel's three Iron Dome anti-missile outposts. The Israeli Air Force has announced plans to deploy a fourth Iron Dome system in coming months.

While US troops will be stationed in Israel for an unspecified amount of time, Israeli military personnel will be added to United States European Command (EUCOM) in Germany.

This is while the US is reportedly bringing its Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) and ship-based Aegis ballistic missile systems to Israel.

The White House has resumed its anti-Iran war rhetoric after the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) released a report in November, in which Tehran was accused of conducting activities related to developing nuclear weapons. Iran strongly dismissed the allegations.

US analyst Robert Parry said the documentary evidence showed that IAEA Director General Yukiya Amano was installed with the support of the US and that he privately indicated to US and Israeli officials that he would help advance their goals regarding Iran.

In December, Iran's Navy launched massive 10-day military drills in the strategic Strait of Hormuz to show that the country is ready to defend itself against any attack.

"We wanted to send this message to certain powers that Iran is always prepared to defend itself against foreign aggression," Iran's Navy Deputy Commander Admiral Amir Rastegari told Press TV.

Meanwhile, US President Barack Obama on Saturday signed into law fresh economic sanctions, targeting Iran's Central Bank and financial sector.

Anti-Iran measures provoked by the US and Israel are aimed to deny Iran's right of having peaceful nuclear program.

Tehran, as a signatory to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty and a member of the IAEA, has repeatedly stated that its nuclear activities are solely for civilian purposes.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Looked around, the only other ones that are reporting this so far is Pravada-on-the-Potomac, but that didn't stop American Conservatives from picking it up.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2829205/posts

Ah, Republicans.  I love the comments.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on January 06, 2012, 01:59:59 AM
Looked around, the only other ones that are reporting this so far is Pravada-on-the-Potomac, but that didn't stop American Conservatives from picking it up.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2829205/posts

Ah, Republicans.  I love the comments.
I didn't even bother looking around, I just assumed they were lying. 
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

MSNBC was reporting it yesterday, genius.

QuoteWhile US troops will be stationed in Israel for an unspecified amount of time, Israeli military personnel will be added to United States European Command (EUCOM) in Germany.

Oh, I bet that'll go over swimmingly.

Tamas

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 06, 2012, 07:11:34 AM

QuoteWhile US troops will be stationed in Israel for an unspecified amount of time, Israeli military personnel will be added to United States European Command (EUCOM) in Germany.

:huh:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tamas on January 06, 2012, 07:29:38 AM

:huh:

"Vas ist dat?"
"A Jew."
"Jew?  Ach! Und himmel!"

HisMajestyBOB

Could be worse - they could be teamed up with NATO units from Eastern Europe.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Kleves

The carrier the Iranians were bitching about has rescued a group of Iranians from pirates.
QuoteCasting aside current tensions between the U.S. and Iran, the U.S. Navy on Friday rescued 13 Iranian seamen who were being held captive by Somali pirates in the Gulf of Oman.

A Navy helicopter from the aircraft carrier USS John C. Stennis, responding to a distress call from a merchant ship under attack by pirates, chased the pirates to their "mother ship," an Iranian-flagged dhow that had earlier been hijacked.
A heavily-armed counter-piracy team from the Navy destroyer USS Kidd met little resistance when they boarded the dhow where they found 15 armed pirates and the 13 Iranians who were being held hostage. The pirates were taken into custody. The Iranians were set free in their dhow.

The rescue occurred about 175 miles southeast of Muscat, Oman.

It came less than two days after Iran threatened never to allow the USS John C. Stennis back to the Persian gulf following its departure last week for the Gulf of Oman and North Arabian Sea.

An Iranian surveillance plane last week video-recorded and photographed the vessel near the Strait of Hormuz, in a bid to cast its navy as having a powerful role in the region's waters.

Iran has threatened to close the route in possible retaliation to new U.S. and European economic sanctions, a tactic the U.S. already has said it would not tolerate.

About one-sixth of the world's oil passes on tankers through the Strait of Hormuz, and analysts have warned the price of Brent crude could temporarily jump to as high as $210 if the strait is closed.

U.S. officials have said the Navy's Fifth Fleet, based in nearby Bahrain, is prepared to defend the shipping route.

White House officials said Iran's threat showed Tehran was increasingly isolated internationally, faced economic problems from to sanctions and wants to divert attention from its deepening problems.

"It reflects the fact that Iran is in a position of weakness," White House spokesman Jay Carney told reporters Tuesday.

State news agency IRNA quoted Iranian army chief Ataollah Salehi as saying: "Iran will not repeat its warning ... the enemy's carrier has been moved to the Sea of Oman because of our drill. I recommend and emphasize to the American carrier not to return to the Persian Gulf.

"I advise, recommend and warn them (the Americans) over the return of this carrier to the Persian Gulf because we are not in the habit of warning more than once," he said.

Britain's defense secretary warned Iran Thursday that any attempt to block the key global oil passageway the Strait of Hormuz would be illegal and unsuccessful — hinting at a robust international response.

During his  first visit to the Pentagon for talks with U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta, Philip Hammond told the Atlantic Council in Washington that the presence of British and American naval ships in the Persian Gulf would ensure the route is kept open for trade.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

The Minsky Moment

On Tuesday: "I advise, recommend and warn them (the Americans) over the return of this carrier to the Persian Gulf because we are not in the habit of warning more than once" (Salehi)

The next day: "Iran will do anything to preserve the security of the Strait of Hormuz" at the entrance to the Gulf, Defence Minister Ahmad Vahidi said, according to the website of Iran's state television.   "The presence of forces from beyond the (Gulf) region has no result but turbulence. We have said the presence of forces from beyond the region in the Persian Gulf is not needed and is harmful," he was quoted as saying.

Sorry, Iran, but could you just repeat that one more time?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 06, 2012, 04:34:55 PM
On Tuesday: "I advise, recommend and warn them (the Americans) over the return of this carrier to the Persian Gulf because we are not in the habit of warning more than once" (Salehi)

The next day: "Iran will do anything to preserve the security of the Strait of Hormuz" at the entrance to the Gulf, Defence Minister Ahmad Vahidi said, according to the website of Iran's state television.   "The presence of forces from beyond the (Gulf) region has no result but turbulence. We have said the presence of forces from beyond the region in the Persian Gulf is not needed and is harmful," he was quoted as saying.

Sorry, Iran, but could you just repeat that one more time?

They broke their habit just to give us another chance to avoid any ugliness.  They're so generous, they might just do it again.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 04, 2012, 08:43:56 PM
Quote from: grumbler on January 04, 2012, 06:09:06 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on January 04, 2012, 12:47:25 PM
What would be interesting is the story of what the Soviet tactics actually were, and whether anyone was right in thier predictions.

Interesting in a different way, yes.  Inman outflanked his opposition by planting his preferred Red strategy in a work of popular fiction, changing the question from "why should we suppose a bastion strategy?" to "why shouldn't we suppose a bastion strategy?" in a Top Secret military CPX.  That was frickin' genius, IMO.  It didn't matter what strategy the Soviets were actually contemplating, in that sense.  A good strategy has to account for the worst that an enemy could do, not what you think he is going to do.

I briefed Inman and the Defense Science Board several times.  He always was the smartest guy on the board, and asked the best questions.  He was hell on lazy or hazy assumptions.

That is a cool story.  I know Clancy had a lot of chatter in the Pentagon back in the day, but this is a nice bit of info on how and why.

Ditto.  Now I feel a compulsion to go read Red Storm Rising again. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Tamas

I am long like 40 barrels of February oil, so I am ready to receive my pocket money from this conflict. Let the bombs fly!

OttoVonBismarck

Speaking of oil investments, I took a position in Statoil last year; if oil hits $145 a barrel I'll be tempted to sell it and buy some toys.  :lol:

Habbaku

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/01/07/iran-hails-us-rescue-sailors-as-humanitarian-and-positive-act/

:)

QuoteTEHRAN –  Iran's foreign ministry on Saturday labeled the U.S. Navy's rescue of 13 Iranians from pirates who had hijacked a fishing vessel a "humanitarian and positive" act.

"We consider the actions of the U.S. forces in saving the lives of Iranian seamen to be a humanitarian and positive act and we welcome such behavior. We think all nations should display such behavior," Iran's foreign ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast told broadcaster al Alam.

U.S. forces rescued the Iranian sailors Thursday after a Navy helicopter spotted a suspicious skiff alongside an Iranian-flagged boat and picked up a distress signal from its captain.

Ironically, the forces that came to assist the sailors were assigned to the USS John C. Stennis strike group -- the same aircraft carrier that was subject to an Iranian threat just days earlier amid heightened tensions between Washington and Tehran over the Islamic Republic's pledge to close the Strait of Hormuz.

A counter-piracy team from the Navy destroyer USS Kidd boarded and detained 15 pirates who had been holding the boat's crew hostage for more than a month, using their ship, the Al Molai, as a launch pad to mount raids on other vessels.

The captured pirates were put on board the Stennis while authorities considered prosecuting them.

The rescue came just days after Iran's army chief warned the Stennis against returning to the Strait of Hormuz, a key shipping route for up to 20 percent of the world's oil.

The aircraft carrier, one of the largest in the U.S. fleet, had vacated the area while Iran's navy conducted war games in the Persian Gulf for ten days.

U.S. officials have dismissed the threat of closing the waterway as an increasingly isolated Iran lashing out at the international community.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/01/07/iran-hails-us-rescue-sailors-as-humanitarian-and-positive-act/#ixzz1ioCXfCie
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien