Iran warns the US carrier against returning to the Persian gulf

Started by Martinus, January 03, 2012, 04:05:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

QuoteA Navy helicopter from the aircraft carrier USS John C. Stennis, responding to a distress call from a merchant ship under attack by pirates, chased the pirates to their "mother ship," an Iranian-flagged dhow that had earlier been hijacked.

Wait a second, a Dhow?  Like one of those little wooden sail boats they had in the 9th century?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

Quote from: Razgovory on January 07, 2012, 05:20:13 PM
QuoteA Navy helicopter from the aircraft carrier USS John C. Stennis, responding to a distress call from a merchant ship under attack by pirates, chased the pirates to their "mother ship," an Iranian-flagged dhow that had earlier been hijacked.

Wait a second, a Dhow?  Like one of those little wooden sail boats they had in the 9th century?

The actual "dhow" in question...

Ed Anger

Hopefully, a Sea Hawk put a torpedo into it, just for kicks.

Tonitrus

Nah, we're trying to play the "holier than thou" card, and all that.

Ed Anger

Tonitrus

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 07, 2012, 05:28:30 PM
Hopefully, a Sea Hawk put a torpedo into it, just for kicks.

A Sea Hawk might capsize it if it just flew over it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Apparently, the Iranian court just sentenced some super-hot Iranian American to death for spying. Bastards.

That being said, if the guy actually is innocent, being a former US marine stationed in Afghanistan who subsequently goes to Iran to visit his grandmother must be worthy of the Darwin Award.

Martinus

garbon

Poor Iran.

http://news.yahoo.com/irans-game-threats-backfire-195000862.html

QuoteIran's threat to close the narrow Strait of Hormuz has drawn the attention of military forces around the world and ignited a buildup that could endanger the region. While the U.S. and her major allies regularly maintain a naval presence in the Persian Gulf, other countries have dispatched warships to send a clear message to Tehran.

UPI reported the Russian, French, British and Canadian forces are already on station in the Gulf, with additional forces in route. The U.S. Fifth Fleet is based in Bahrain and the USS John C. Stennis CVN-74 is currently patrolling the Gulf of Oman just outside the Strait.

The Stennis carrier group is quite capable of handling anything Iran might choose to muster in a show of force. With more than 70 attack aircraft, plus a screening vessels of various capabilities, the U.S. Navy would easily dominate any encounter. But it's nice to know that other countries care enough to ensure the waterway stays open for commerce.

The Russians have deployed the aircraft carrier Admiral Kuznetsov, which is anchored at Syria's Tartus port on the Mediterranean. That action caused France to assign an air defense destroyer to the region as well. The Canadian Royal Navy announced Sunday the HMCS Charlottetown also departed for the Gulf.

Not to be left out, British Prime Minister David Cameron ordered a guided missile destroyer into the Persian Gulf, which will join the French aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle. That's a lot of naval power to deal with in the event Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad gets a wild hair to try to close the Strait of Hormuz.

Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen. Martin Dempsey has said Iran could close the Strait for a "brief time," but he also reiterated U.S. determination and capability to insure that the seaway will remain open for international navigation. I seriously doubt Iran would want to engage the western powers in a naval confrontation that cannot win. But if they do, the Stennis will give them a moment of pause.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

Quote from: Martinus on January 09, 2012, 11:36:36 AM
Apparently, the Iranian court just sentenced some super-hot Iranian American to death for spying. Bastards.

That being said, if the guy actually is innocent, being a former US marine stationed in Afghanistan who subsequently goes to Iran to visit his grandmother must be worthy of the Darwin Award.

RockPaperShotgun have more details on the case:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/01/10/kumawar-dev-faces-execution-in-iran/

But yeah, going to Iran given his background is stupid. Though I agree witht he article that he'll mostly be a bargaining chip for the Tehran government.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.