News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Joan: While you're at it, please explain how forgiving principal improves the collateral quality (i.e. raises the price) on that particular house.

Ideologue

Quote from: DGuller on February 06, 2012, 04:04:48 PM
Loan forgiveness can be a reasonable alternative to either a crippling debt load, or foreclosure.

MORAL HAZARD!
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 06, 2012, 03:53:55 PM
I thought you said she was talking about making pack downs part of the bankruptcy law.  That by definition is pretty enduring.

No the only thing I could recall is that a few years back she resisted proposed creditor friendly amendments to the bankruptcy laws that were being pushed by the credit card industry.

QuoteJoan: While you're at it, please explain how forgiving principal improves the collateral quality (i.e. raises the price) on that particular house.

Seems like DGuller already gave most of that answer.  First it avoids foreclosures, which when concentrated are crippling for housing prices.  Second, by pulling the equity above water, it frees up the possibility for transactions and gives the home owners proper incentives to maintain the property.  All of which is good for housing prices.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Neil

So the plan is to reinflate the housing bubble?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

Quote from: Neil on February 06, 2012, 06:15:45 PM
How does this reinflate the bubble?  :huh:

Viking

Quote from: DGuller on February 06, 2012, 06:39:08 PM

Thats tricky, the nips tries effectively negative interest rates, that didn't work.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

DGuller

Quote from: Viking on February 06, 2012, 06:46:03 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 06, 2012, 06:39:08 PM

Thats tricky, the nips tries effectively negative interest rates, that didn't work.
If I were you, I'd rush to the nearest hospital with a dedicated stroke unit.

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 06, 2012, 04:58:13 PM
No the only thing I could recall is that a few years back she resisted proposed creditor friendly amendments to the bankruptcy laws that were being pushed by the credit card industry.

You yourself a page back or so said she advocates loan foregiveness as part of bankruptcy.  Am I missing some key point here?

Ideologue

Most bankruptcies do involve loan forgiveness, after a fashion.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 06, 2012, 06:53:10 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 06, 2012, 04:58:13 PM

You yourself a page back or so said she advocates loan foregiveness as part of bankruptcy.  Am I missing some key point here?

Yes.  Individual bankruptcies in the US amost always involve forgiveness of loans.  that has been so for many years now.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

The plan is to put a floor on the crash and provide a basis for recovery that would make banks more interested in making a 15-30 year loan commitment.
--Joan Robinson

Neil

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 06, 2012, 07:31:28 PM
The plan is to put a floor on the crash and provide a basis for recovery that would make banks more interested in making a 15-30 year loan commitment.
Wouldn't it be better if the mortgaged properties were forgiven enough debt so that they were no longer underwater but to retain the bulk of the loan, or is that what we're talking about here?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

Quote from: Neil on February 06, 2012, 07:38:26 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 06, 2012, 07:31:28 PM
Wouldn't it be better if the mortgaged properties were forgiven enough debt so that they were no longer underwater but to retain the bulk of the loan, or is that what we're talking about here?
It's hard to know what Yi is talking about, but that's what I'm thinking of.  I'm thinking of something functionally similar to a short sale to the current owners. 

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Neil on February 06, 2012, 07:38:26 PM

I think so.
I don't know whether that is what Warren is proposing or indeed even if she is proposing anything about this at all.  My knowledge of her is that she is a bankruptcy and commercial law expert
who got sucked into some TARP oversight committee.
--Joan Robinson