News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Whenever Ron Paul speaks he reminds me of some lovable kooky professor who pontificates to his students between lectures.  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on February 07, 2012, 11:15:31 PM
I know he hasn't actually gained anything in Missouri.  I wonder if any of the other state's elections had some meaning.
No, I think they're non-binding, but I could be wrong.  But then so's Iowa.

Quote from: FunkMonk on February 07, 2012, 11:16:09 PM
Whenever Ron Paul speaks he reminds me of some lovable kooky professor who pontificates to his students between lectures.  :lol:
Yeah.  I think it's a huge part of his attraction :)

Edit:  I always love and am confused by his monetary stuff being his biggest applause line :lol: :blink:
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 07, 2012, 11:17:37 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 07, 2012, 11:15:31 PM
I know he hasn't actually gained anything in Missouri.  I wonder if any of the other state's elections had some meaning.
No, I think they're non-binding, but I could be wrong.  But then so's Iowa.

http://elections.nytimes.com/2012/primaries/states/missouri
Yeah, it's non-binding. The real caucus is on March 17. A whole month in which anything can happen.
2012 Caucus Process
Delegate Allocation: After the national Republican Party instituted new rules that would penalize states for holding primaries before March, the Missouri Republican Party switched to a caucus system for selecting their delegates, making the Feb. 7 primary a nonbinding event. The state's delegates will be selected at district conventions in April and the state convention in June. The March 17 county caucuses will select delegates to attend both of those conventions.

Quote from: FunkMonk on February 07, 2012, 11:16:09 PM
Yeah.  I think it's a huge part of his attraction :)

Edit:  I always love and am confused by his monetary stuff being his biggest applause line :lol: :blink:

I really like Ron Paul. I actually do. I would never in my life vote for him, but I actually do like the guy. Crazy, but fun-crazy. He'd be great here on Languish.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Sheilbh

Quote from: FunkMonk on February 07, 2012, 11:26:16 PM
I really like Ron Paul. I actually do. I would never in my life vote for him, but I actually do like the guy. Crazy, but fun-crazy. He'd be great here on Languish.
Agreed.  And I think he's such a nice contrast with most of the other candidates.  As I mentioned a while ago my favourite thing about him is his walk onto the stage during a debate.  It's this old man shuffle with a hesitant wave to the crowd.  It's so much more human than the alpha male posing of, say, Perry or Romney and so much more charming.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

God Romney is really, really poor tonight.
Let's bomb Russia!

Phillip V

Keep in mind that McCain did not win any of these states (except narrowly Missouri) in 2008. Nevertheless, it is a disappointing reminder that social conservatives still reject Romney (or now see him as the "moderate" that needs to be stopped). Romney handily won Colorado and Minnesota (and narrowly lost Missouri) four years ago.

DGuller

I guess one guy was excited enough to jizz something blue on Romney.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Phillip V on February 07, 2012, 11:44:42 PM
Romney handily won Colorado and Minnesota (and narrowly lost Missouri) four years ago.
I think the problem is that the more people see of Romney the less they want to vote for him.  It's true of the GOP primary voters, even in places he'd previously done well in, and I think it'll be true of the general election voter.  He is a dreadful candidate who can only win by massively outspending and slurring his opponents.  Aside from that he just makes a Ken doll look animated :(

It's just a shame, for the Republicans, that there's not really many better options and that they couldn't convince someone else to run.

Edit:  Which is odd because Romney's dad sounds like a 1960s Biden.  Apparently he was very loose-limbed, charming and gregarious on the campaign trail.  One observer described watching him campaign being like watching a duck make love to a football.  When Romney was running for Senate apparently his best few days were the ones when he took his dad's advice and stopped listening to consultants and loosen up.  Sadly his dad's not here to give that advice now :(

Edit:  Romney gave what's probably the worst speech I've seen him give.  By contrast I just saw chunks of Santorum's and it looked the best I've seen a Republican give this election.  What's novel is that this time people were listening to Santorum so it could be a big help for him.
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

Looks like Santorum might win Colorado too

32% in and it's 42.2-28.4%
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

Or as Austrian newsreader just called it: Colo-ray-do.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 07, 2012, 11:13:03 PM
I'm surprised that Santorum's made a comeback.

With santorum you always get your cum back, just not in any usable form. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

rufweed

Quote from: Ideologue on February 08, 2012, 12:50:04 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 07, 2012, 11:13:03 PM
I'm surprised that Santorum's made a comeback.

With santorum you always get your cum back, just not in any usable form. :(

...says you.

Martinus

Quote from: Phillip V on February 07, 2012, 11:44:42 PM
Keep in mind that McCain did not win any of these states (except narrowly Missouri) in 2008. Nevertheless, it is a disappointing reminder that social conservatives still reject Romney (or now see him as the "moderate" that needs to be stopped). Romney handily won Colorado and Minnesota (and narrowly lost Missouri) four years ago.

It's kinda ironic that a "moderate" has become an insult these days among the crowd which follows a religion that considers "Moderation" to be one of its Cardinal Virtues.  ;)

Legbiter

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 08, 2012, 12:05:23 AM
Looks like Santorum might win Colorado too

32% in and it's 42.2-28.4%

Santorum surges from behind?  :hmm: :x
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.