So what are you giving people for Christmas?

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 14, 2011, 06:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 16, 2011, 07:38:32 PM
I just had a stroke of pure genius.

When we were little, my brothers and I had a lot of books. One was a really old one from the 50s called "Life in Europe: Sweden". I think it was part of a series about various European countries. I have no idea where it came from, or what it actually said about Sweden. What I remember is that we collectively transformed that book into a work of utter comedy, drawing evil mustaches on the people in it and turning the thing into a full-blown story about an evil wizard enslaving the Swedes or something like that. I think it involved a curse to make them have constant violent diarrhea if they disobeyed him. The altered book has been lost to time now. But, I found a new one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006AX9H0/ref=ox_ya_os_product

I'm actually a bit curious about 1950's Sweden, but the hilarity will be worth it. Maybe he'll draw all over it with his son.  :P

1950s Sweden was awesome. We was going places. Then the 60s happened.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: Ideologue on December 16, 2011, 07:41:51 PM
QuoteI'm actually a bit curious about 1950's Sweden

Hard times.  The key ball bearing and iron ore sectors had suffered some marked setbacks.
:pinch:

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 16, 2011, 07:38:32 PM

I'm actually a bit curious about 1950's Sweden, but the hilarity will be worth it. Maybe he'll draw all over it with his son.  :P

That's a great idea.  I had a similar stroke of genius and tracked down this book my father would reminisce about, but when I gave it to him he told me "Thanks, this is great.  :)  But you know I don't read books anymore, so..." :frusty:

My mother's family has ditched Christmas presents this year except for the kids and none of them are coming.  I'm just giving my granddad the University of Tennessee Football All-Access Vault.  When I was working in Knoxville over the summer he wanted me to get him stuff about the 1944-5 and 1945-6 teams.  But the SEC apparently doesn't make every school keep public archives of all its historical ephemera and let people buy it, so I got that as a shitty consolation prize.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Tonitrus

Syt

I for one hope everyone enjoys their winter solstice celebration of choice. :)

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

fhdz

Quote from: Valdemar on December 16, 2011, 05:10:37 AM
:P

I mean, right? What a dick thing to say. Why would I give Christmas presents to an asshat?

On the plus side, I am glad you like the stuff your kids make for you. I totally dig it when my daughters make me something; I still use a pencil holder that my eldest made when she was in kindergarten. It is super rad.
and the horse you rode in on

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Josquius

My xmas shopping continues to be a disaster.
The only person sorted is my dog.
Any decent UK/Europe gift websites to save me having a horrid day tomorrow rushing to yet another mall in the futile hope there is something worthwhile?
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on December 15, 2011, 01:04:10 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 15, 2011, 12:52:14 PM
How many of you guys are not afraid to buy clothes for your wife/girlfriend? I used to be. Still wouldn't buy some things. Like jeans, for example. Too hard to get right without trying them on. How many of you actually know their dress size off the top of your head?   :P
That's the highway to the danger zone right there, son.  "Honey, what's your dress size?"

Easy holiday trick:  whatever her dress size is, drop it down one size and then make the purchase.
Sure, she'll have to return it, but she'll appreciate it more.

Ideologue

"Say, honey, why is that girl who also claims to weigh 120 pounds like four sizes smaller?"
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)