So what are you giving people for Christmas?

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 14, 2011, 06:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on December 15, 2011, 05:21:46 PM
Hell, he still has a VCR.

I've got a tv with vcr built in sitting in the dog's room. Sometimes, I go in there and play an exercise tape from 20 years ago.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Dude, no one wants to know about your weird "rituals."
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

Wouldn't want her tearing up the furniture in the rest of the house. That's the cats' job.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 15, 2011, 06:23:04 PM
Wouldn't want her tearing up the furniture in the rest of the house. That's the cats' job.

So is the TV so she can watch Cesar Millan?  :P

mongers

What is it with you Americans and you cats, I've never had this problem with any of my cats.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on December 15, 2011, 05:26:02 PM
Yeah, it is quaint.

My dad loves popcorn, but the pot he uses to cook it in recently wore out and he hasn't gotten a replacement so he's been using a kettle and sometimes buying that microwavable popcorn.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So I got him this thingy.  It looked neat.

Dude that is bad ass. Two thumbs up.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Quote from: mongers on December 15, 2011, 06:42:23 PM

What is it with you Americans and you cats, I've never had this problem with any of my cats.

I gave my cat an SS rank.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

QuoteHis dog has a room.   :lol:

His dog has a TV and VCR.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valdemar

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 15, 2011, 12:52:14 PM
How many of you guys are not afraid to buy clothes for your wife/girlfriend? I used to be. Still wouldn't buy some things. Like jeans, for example. Too hard to get right without trying them on. How many of you actually know their dress size off the top of your head?   :P

I do, and have done all right with sports wear, coats, swearters and shirts. Even underwear I've pulled off succesfully by looking at the label of her most recent purchase, then bought the same brand and roughly the same kind of design (same kind of cup etc) but in a different colour/material/applications etc.

I usually stay away from trousers and skirts of any kind and usually also from footwear.

V

Valdemar

Quote from: Valmy on December 15, 2011, 02:06:56 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 15, 2011, 02:05:42 PM
The size thing is obvious, but even straight guys can have a sense of style and what they would like if they pay enough attention. You might have ideas she hadn't considered too. People can get stuck in a rut when it comes to stuff like this.

I do have a sense of style but I also have a sense of laziness and cheapness which usually prevents me from actually being stylish.  But for whatever reason I do a pretty decent job picking out stuff for her.

Or she loves you and pretend to like your presents :P

V

Ed Anger

Just arrived for my wife and her friend Miranda:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S2p7AiNX9g

Should be worth a chuckle this weekend. My wife and Miranda will be surprised when I pull their flaps down.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

I just had a stroke of pure genius.

When we were little, my brothers and I had a lot of books. One was a really old one from the 50s called "Life in Europe: Sweden". I think it was part of a series about various European countries. I have no idea where it came from, or what it actually said about Sweden. What I remember is that we collectively transformed that book into a work of utter comedy, drawing evil mustaches on the people in it and turning the thing into a full-blown story about an evil wizard enslaving the Swedes or something like that. I think it involved a curse to make them have constant violent diarrhea if they disobeyed him. The altered book has been lost to time now. But, I found a new one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006AX9H0/ref=ox_ya_os_product

I'm actually a bit curious about 1950's Sweden, but the hilarity will be worth it. Maybe he'll draw all over it with his son.  :P

Ideologue

QuoteI'm actually a bit curious about 1950's Sweden

Hard times.  The key ball bearing and iron ore sectors had suffered some marked setbacks.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)