News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fantasy type MMO

Started by Korea, April 28, 2009, 10:24:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Korea

So, I've gotten kind of bored with WoW and I'm only level 46. I'm wondering what are some other good MMOs out there. Are there any that you currently play or have played that don't suck.

WoW is fun and all but I just go bored with all the backtracking and killing 50 dudes to get one super awesome gem or something. The thing I found most fun were the instances and various runs. But I liked doing it with my friends and not so much the WoWtards.

I don't know if all other MMOs are like this or what since WoW is the only one I've played.

Any recommendations?
I want my mother fucking points!

Grey Fox

:lol:

WoW is the easiest & most noob friendly, that being said you can try any of the free to play Korean MMOs that are out there. I don't have any specific recommendation. Browse thru mmorpg.com or tentonhammer.com
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

Well, keep in mind that all MMOs rely on extremely repetitive play, since if they can't keep you playing month after month, they stop making money.  :cool:

That said, I've played WoW, LOTRO, Age of Conan, and EQ.  EQ was so long ago I remember nothing, but I only played for a few weeks and grew bored quickly.  LOTRO is also a very good game, and I would still be playing it except for the fact that I don't really have time for more than one MMO at a time.  Age of Conan = :bleeding:  to the :bleeding: power

I think anyone who likes WoW would like LOTRO unless you're obsessed with being a high fantasy spellslinger, since LOTRO really lacks the equivalent (in my experience, the closest thing to a Mage in LOTRO is actually a Hunter).  The graphics are better, and the 'storyline' is certainly more engaging.  Where it suffers is a much smaller player base and even more 'repetitive' gameplay, since the setting must be true to Tolkien's works and therefore doesn't feature a ton of different environments/dimensions/mobs like WoW.  In retrospect I think basing an MMO on a licensed work is probably a bad idea.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

vinraith

The
Quote from: Caliga on April 28, 2009, 10:31:50 AM
Well, keep in mind that all MMOs rely on extremely repetitive play, since if they can't keep you playing month after month, they stop making money.  :cool:

Yup. The closest you might get to an MMO-like game that has some respect for your time is Guild Wars (I believe you can get a free trial now, if it's not readily available I think I still have some trial keys lying around if you want one Korea). It's basically the anti-Wow. No back tracking, no respawning, gaming areas are instanced so the only people that come with you outside of cities are those you bring with you. The level cap is fairly low, so the level grinding is kept relatively minimal.

Oh, and if you don't know, there are no monthly fees whatsoever (which is why it has some respect for your time). You buy the game, you play the game, that's it.

fhdz

Yeah, I'd heartily second Vinnie's recommendation of Guild Wars.
and the horse you rode in on

vinraith

Quote from: fahdiz on April 28, 2009, 10:36:59 AM
Yeah, I'd heartily second Vinnie's recommendation of Guild Wars.

To their credit they're still doing major updates (though for an old player like me I wish they'd release a new chapter). It's worth a minute to check out the menagerie, for example (you can store and retrieve trained ranger pets now). Full details here. Oh yeah, there's free bonus storage available via that url too.

fhdz

Quote from: vinraith on April 28, 2009, 10:41:32 AM
To their credit they're still doing major updates (though for an old player like me I wish they'd release a new chapter). It's worth a minute to check out the menagerie, for example (you can store and retrieve trained ranger pets now). Full details here. Oh yeah, there's free bonus storage available via that url too.

That's pretty slick.  It makes me want to play, except that I'd never be able to muster that kind of time investment at the present moment.  I can't even get online for a game of L4D, for chrissakes.
and the horse you rode in on

Korea

Yeah, I will definitely check out this guild wars game.

What about that game Neverwinter Nights? Isn't that a fantasys type MMO? Or I might be thinking of another game but just saw that game on the PC shelf at walmart or something...

What about Warhammar?

Berkut

Warhammer is pretty good, but is pretty PvP oriented. The PvE portions pale in comparison to WoW, and can be rather repetetive - whiich is fine for WH, since the game is really all about PvP/RvR.

Probably not your kettle of fish.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Caliga

Neverwinter Nights isn't an MMO, but it is played online (though there is a single-player campaign).

Warhammer is an MMO, and some people on Languish tried it, but IIRC it's a dud.  I'm sure Berk and others who tried it out will opine shortly.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

Try City of Heroes or City of Vilains. It's not fantasy but it's interesting none the less.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

vinraith

Quote from: Korea on April 28, 2009, 10:47:21 AM
Yeah, I will definitely check out this guild wars game.

What about that game Neverwinter Nights? Isn't that a fantasys type MMO? Or I might be thinking of another game but just saw that game on the PC shelf at walmart or something...

What about Warhammar?

Neverwinter Nights (1 and 2) are basically engines on which to run AD&D games. They come with some inbuilt, AI run campaigns where you can make characters and play through (solo or MP). There are a ton of user made modules customzied for various numbers of people (again, solo or MP), and then there are some "persistant world" servers that I gather are a bit like MMO's. I don't know much about PW's in these games, but Marty used to play on them and would be a good person to ask. I can't speak to the PW servers, but the games are fun on their own IMO.

Edit: OK, free GW trials are available from www.guildwars.com, that's simple enough. If you decide to try that one drop me a PM, I haven't played in awhile but I might be able to help you out with some gear/tips/etc.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 28, 2009, 10:27:50 AM

WoW is the easiest & most noob friendly, that being said you can try any of the free to play Korean MMOs that are out there. I don't have any specific recommendation. Browse thru mmorpg.com or tentonhammer.com

But I know what she is talking about.  There are lots of things in WoW that just seem like a grind.  Like killing huge numbers of Gorrilas in STV until the quest item drops.  LoTR seems to have a lot less of a grinding feel to it and there are a lot more opportunities for group quests which seems to be what she likes best.

Korea, I would caution against Warhammer.  It could have been a great game but its population is just too low now.  It tried to be all things to all people with lots of PvE and PvP options but ended up pleasing no one. 

Korea

Quote from: Berkut on April 28, 2009, 10:49:24 AM
Warhammer is pretty good, but is pretty PvP oriented. The PvE portions pale in comparison to WoW, and can be rather repetetive - whiich is fine for WH, since the game is really all about PvP/RvR.

Probably not your kettle of fish.

I forget what pvp vs pve is. Pve is player against everyone right?

Korea

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 28, 2009, 11:14:10 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 28, 2009, 10:27:50 AM

But I know what she is talking about.  There are lots of things in WoW that just seem like a grind.  Like killing huge numbers of Gorrilas in STV until the quest item drops.  LoTR seems to have a lot less of a grinding feel to it and there are a lot more opportunities for group quests which seems to be what she likes best.

Korea, I would caution against Warhammer.  It could have been a great game but its population is just too low now.  It tried to be all things to all people with lots of PvE and PvP options but ended up pleasing no one.

Yeah, I am really wanting to try Lord of the Rings Online.  Is it the Lord of the Rings: Shadow of Angmar game?