News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fantasy type MMO

Started by Korea, April 28, 2009, 10:24:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vinraith

Yeah, W/Mo is the standard new player choice to the point of frequent lampoon. I'll look you up when next I'm around.

frunk

Decided to give it a try this weekend, and I ended up buying the trilogy.  Almost everything I find annoying about MMOs has been removed.  I can play it like a solo game without any interference, I can change my character on the fly to fit the situation, I can try out support roles without needing to find other players.  It's a blast.

Korea

Quote from: frunk on May 04, 2009, 09:53:10 AM
Decided to give it a try this weekend, and I ended up buying the trilogy.  Almost everything I find annoying about MMOs has been removed.  I can play it like a solo game without any interference, I can change my character on the fly to fit the situation, I can try out support roles without needing to find other players.  It's a blast.

Cool. What is your character name on there?

Mine is Kaynaria Lambas (yeah I know I couldn't think of a last name lol)
I want my mother fucking points!

vinraith

As I told Korea, if you find you're really enjoying it make sure to also pick up Eye of the North at some point, which is a big pack of content for high level characters that includes a lot of fun stuff.

katmai

Sounds like they shouldn't call it a MMO :P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

vinraith

Quote from: katmai on May 04, 2009, 11:54:55 AM

Most GW players don't. I certainly wouldn't, but then I tend to consider "MMO" an insult. :D

katmai

Quote from: vinraith on May 04, 2009, 12:09:04 PM

Most GW players don't. I certainly wouldn't, but then I tend to consider "MMO" an insult. :D

Pfft you think CGI is a four letter word.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

vinraith

Quote from: katmai on May 04, 2009, 12:10:25 PM
Quote from: vinraith on May 04, 2009, 12:09:04 PM

Pfft you think CGI is a four letter word.

I thnk CGI is overused by people that don't know how to use it properly, that's all. There are plenty of situations where it's used to excellent effect. It's one of the few good things I can still say about BSG, for example.

frunk

Quote from: katmai on May 04, 2009, 11:54:55 AM

I think the first M isn't joined to the second M in the same way as most MMOs.  Yes it's massively multiplayer but it isn't forced on you and you can be highly selective with who you play with, to the point that you don't have to play with anyone else if you don't want to.

frunk

Quote from: Korea on May 04, 2009, 11:44:31 AM

Frunkette Colaris, Ranger Monk.

vinraith

Quote from: frunk on May 04, 2009, 05:56:13 PM
Quote from: Korea on May 04, 2009, 11:44:31 AM

Frunkette Colaris, Ranger Monk.

Nice, that's what my first character was (R/Mo). I'll drop you a line in game (probably from my Monk, Adler)and send you a guild invite. I haven't got much in the way of ranger gear lying around (my main's a necro these days) but I'll have a look at my storage mules for you and Korea just in case.

Grallon

Downloaded and created a trial account... Is it me or is the interface extremely clumsy ?

I hit 40 with LotRO and I'm getting bored...  I've seem to hit the same wall I hit with WoW: you're led by the nose with a string of quests, many (did I say *many*) of which are group quests forced upon you then when you finally hit 60 and you're not into the high end stuff you're stuck with nothing left to do but a rinse of what you did before...

I wish there was a game where you could do other things than questing and running towards the next lvl...  Guess that would be less than economically viable.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

sbr

Guild Wars has intrigued me from the start, after reading this I might have to try it out.

Syt

Quote from: Grallon on May 04, 2009, 07:29:11 PM
I wish there was a game where you could do other things than questing and running towards the next lvl...  Guess that would be less than economically viable.

There were some efforts with the original release of Star Wars Galaxies - e.g. the whole economy was player driven; i.e. you had crafting only classes that actually made sense. Cool as this was, I guess it was the wrong approach for the Star wars universe where people expect action packed adventures and not becoming the leading blaster manufacturer. The LotRO model wuld probably work a lot better with the franchise (overarching plot with loads of side quests).

You could try EVE, maybe.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.