Fantasy type MMO

Started by Korea, April 28, 2009, 10:24:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: Korea on April 29, 2009, 11:29:19 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on April 29, 2009, 12:23:06 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 29, 2009, 12:20:40 PM
In WoW, the primary reason to grind where:

1. You need some materials for some kind of epic crafting item. KILL MOAR ELEMENTALS!
2. Rep bullshit.
3. Running the same heroic over and over for some paticular gear.

There used to be

4. Leveling

but these days that seems to happen so fast, and there are so many quests available, that I don't know why anyone would ever need to grind for XP.

I guess a lot of the quests seemed to feel very grindy to me.  I know I sunk lots of time into some of them waiting for quest items to drop.

Felt the same to me. There's almost no variety to the quest. It's either kill X amount of dudes, collect X amount of items, or run this errand.

Maybe you should reconsider your position of playing MMORPGs then.

Also, doing quests isn't grinding.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Korea

Quote from: Grey Fox

But it feels like grinding. 

All I'm asking for is a little bit of variety in the quest. Or at least make them more interesting.
I want my mother fucking points!

Grey Fox

Quote from: Korea on April 30, 2009, 10:14:36 AM

All I'm asking for is a little bit of variety in the quest. Or at least make them more interesting.

That's not going to happen in any game.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

vinraith

Quote from: Korea on April 30, 2009, 09:39:05 AM
Can anyone explain to me exactly how professions work or if there are any in GW?

In GW the term profession is synonymous with class. I'm assuming you mean something different by it. If this has to do with the whole WoW "gathering stuff and crafting with it" thing GW doesn't really have that. There are professional crafters in town that will create items, valuables, and other things from gathered materials (and there are a diversity of collectors in the wilds that will trade for monster bits and the like) but your character doesn't have any crafting skill him/herself.

Oh, and the trilogy for $32 is a great deal. Remember, if you end up liking it, to pick up Eye of the North as well (the expansion). You can probably find it for a song at this point.

Korea

Quote from: vinraith on April 30, 2009, 11:20:32 AM
Can anyone explain to me exactly how professions work or if there are any in GW?

In GW the term profession is synonymous with class. I'm assuming you mean something different by it. If this has to do with the whole WoW "gathering stuff and crafting with it" thing GW doesn't really have that. There are professional crafters in town that will create items, valuables, and other things from gathered materials (and there are a diversity of collectors in the wilds that will trade for monster bits and the like) but your character doesn't have any crafting skill him/herself.

Oh, and the trilogy for $32 is a great deal. Remember, if you end up liking it, to pick up Eye of the North as well (the expansion). You can probably find it for a song at this point.

Oh okay. I was mainly asking because I saw some item you could buy that said something about letting you salvage items and I was wondering what all that was about.

I hope the game arrives before the weekend so I can play it and procrastinate even MORE on my homework.

vinraith

Quote from: Korea on April 30, 2009, 01:08:48 PM
Quote from: vinraith on April 30, 2009, 11:20:32 AM

Oh okay. I was mainly asking because I saw some item you could buy that said something about letting you salvage items and I was wondering what all that was about.

I hope the game arrives before the weekend so I can play it and procrastinate even MORE on my homework.

Yeah. Basically the deal is that you can (and should) get salvage kits. These allow you to break down items you find into their base components, which you can then give to crafters to create new items. The basic rule, later in the game anyway, is that if an unneeded item is decent, you sell it, if it's crap, you salvage it.

Korea

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 30, 2009, 10:16:03 AM

That's not going to happen in any game.

Well, I completely disagree. I've played plenty of games with quest/objectives that were very far from boring and didn't feel like grinding.

Unless you mean that all MMOs are going to be like that.  But GW doesn't really feel that way to me.

Korea

Quote from: vinraith

Yeah. Basically the deal is that you can (and should) get salvage kits. These allow you to break down items you find into their base components, which you can then give to crafters to create new items.

Oh, okay.  What about those identification kits?

Also, is there a follow command in GW?

BTW I am a ranger (huntard for you wowers) and my second profession is elemental magicks and what not.

vinraith

Quote from: Korea on April 30, 2009, 01:11:32 PM
Quote from: vinraith

Yeah. Basically the deal is that you can (and should) get salvage kits. These allow you to break down items you find into their base components, which you can then give to crafters to create new items.

Oh, okay.  What about those identification kits?

Also, is there a follow command in GW?

BTW I am a ranger (huntard for you wowers) and my second profession is elemental magicks and what not.

R/E is a pretty good choice. You'll be able to throw some nice elemental damage on your arrows later, and some of the ele defensive stuff works well for a ranger.

Identification kits are basically like identification items in any RPG, they identify magic items and tell you what bonuses they have.

If you click on whoever it is you want to follow (target them, in other words) and hit "space" you'll auto-follow.

Korea

Tamas

GF is right, MMOs, PVE MMOs at least are about repetition and a steady flow of positive feedback about your "achievments" (be it XP, phat loot or whatever) so you keep playing.

vinraith

Quote from: Tamas on April 30, 2009, 10:07:33 PM

GF is right, MMOs, PVE MMOs at least are about repetition and a steady flow of positive feedback about your "achievments" (be it XP, phat loot or whatever) so you keep playing.

And in this respect GW isn't an MMO. Since there's no monthly fee, there's no need to artificially inflate in-game player time. In fact, the behavior you're describing is exactly why I don't play fee-based MMO's, I've yet to find one that didn't feel like it was deliberately wasting as much of my time as it could.

Richard Hakluyt

I've just finished playing a session of GW, I'm pretty pleased with it  :cool:

The map is pleasingly large, but one gets to avoid repeating the same old journeys again and again; and I love having my own little gang of henchmen.

The gearing up for a particular mission is also good and the battles seem to have more decisions in them.........rather than simply hitting buttons in a pre-defined sequence very quickly.........

I expect to have had my money's worth by the end of this holiday weekend  :cool:

vinraith

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 01, 2009, 05:07:43 PM
I've just finished playing a session of GW, I'm pretty pleased with it  :cool:

The map is pleasingly large, but one gets to avoid repeating the same old journeys again and again; and I love having my own little gang of henchmen.

The gearing up for a particular mission is also good and the battles seem to have more decisions in them.........rather than simply hitting buttons in a pre-defined sequence very quickly.........

I expect to have had my money's worth by the end of this holiday weekend  :cool:

So much for May 12, eh? :D

Glad you're enjoying it. It is a generally more tactical game than something like WoW, at least IMO. And yes, the map travel is a blessing.

Drop me a PM with your character name and I'll see if I can do anything for you. At a minimum I can give you access to the guild hall and whatnot. We're not a very active bunch these days, but a lair is a lair.

Richard Hakluyt

Memnon Argos is my name  :cool:

Warrior/monk, which struck me as a relatively easy starter combo  :huh: