And we're back!

Main Menu

Fantasy type MMO

Started by Korea, April 28, 2009, 10:24:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vinraith

Quote from: fahdiz on April 29, 2009, 11:34:03 AM
Quote from: Korea on April 29, 2009, 10:03:06 AM
I am really starting to like this game more and more. I think I may go buy Nightfall.

It's very good, and very rarely has that "grindy" quality games like WoW have.

Unless you want it to. There's plenty of stuff to grind out these days, but all of it's very much optional.

Richard Hakluyt

I shall have to order this, it's cheaper than some nights out  :D

fhdz

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 29, 2009, 11:59:03 AM
I shall have to order this, it's cheaper than some nights out  :D

I think you'll like it, RH.
and the horse you rode in on

Berkut

Quote from: vinraith on April 29, 2009, 11:52:04 AM
I am really starting to like this game more and more. I think I may go buy Nightfall.

Unless you want it to. There's plenty of stuff to grind out these days, but all of it's very much optional.

Isn't all grinding optional?

Even in WoW, that epic of grinderific gaming, I bet you could get to max level without the *need* to grind, really.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

vinraith

Aw, that sucks. But thanks for looking. :)

Hey, I found it!

It wasn't in the box it should have been in. I actually do have a trial key that gives you 14 hours of access to Nightfall, it's yours if you want it Korea. I also found a key that gives you access to all three campaigns for a cumulative 14 hours. You're welcome to one of these if you want to give it a preview, Richard. Alternatively, I'm happy to send them to any interested parties.

fhdz

Quote from: Berkut on April 29, 2009, 12:14:01 PM

Even in WoW, that epic of grinderific gaming, I bet you could get to max level without the *need* to grind, really.

Without a big guild ready to accept you?  If you were just coming to the game fresh?

Berkut

Quote from: fahdiz on April 29, 2009, 12:15:44 PM

Without a big guild ready to accept you?  If you were just coming to the game fresh?

Indeed. In fact, it is the requirements of being "geared out" that go along with being in a Big Guild and doing Big Guild things that tend to require grinding.

0 rows returned

vinraith

In GW it's basically grinding for show, which is why I say it's "optional." You can grind for luxury items (which in GW terms just means they look neat, the stats aren't superior to more commonly available fare) and you can grind for titles (which you can show off to friends, but which have no or very little impact on your character gameplay-wise). You never have to grind for levels in GW, nor do you have to to get good equipment in a functional sense.

fhdz

Quote from: Berkut on April 29, 2009, 12:17:04 PM
Indeed. In fact, it is the requirements of being "geared out" that go along with being in a Big Guild and doing Big Guild things that tend to require grinding.

I guess it's possible I was just doing things wrong, then.

Berkut

Quote from: fahdiz on April 29, 2009, 12:18:30 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 29, 2009, 12:17:04 PM

I guess it's possible I was just doing things wrong, then.

In WoW, the primary reason to grind where:

1. You need some materials for some kind of epic crafting item. KILL MOAR ELEMENTALS!
2. Rep bullshit.
3. Running the same heroic over and over for some paticular gear.

There used to be

4. Leveling

but these days that seems to happen so fast, and there are so many quests available, that I don't know why anyone would ever need to grind for XP.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: vinraith on April 29, 2009, 12:18:06 PM

In GW it's basically grinding for show. You can grind for luxury items (which in GW terms just means they look neat, the stats aren't superior to more commonly available fare) and you can grind for titles (which you can show off to friends, but which have no or very little impact on your character gameplay-wise). You never have to grind for levels in GW, nor do you have to get good equipment in a functional sense.

Ahh, gotcha - very different then. You don't *have* to grind in WoW, but doing so is certainly part of becoming more capable, in many  cases.

0 rows returned

fhdz

Quote from: Berkut on April 29, 2009, 12:20:40 PM

1. You need some materials for some kind of epic crafting item. KILL MOAR ELEMENTALS!
2. Rep bullshit.

There used to be

4. Leveling

but these days that seems to happen so fast, and there are so many quests available, that I don't know why anyone would ever need to grind for XP.

I guess a lot of the quests seemed to feel very grindy to me.  I know I sunk lots of time into some of them waiting for quest items to drop.

vinraith

Quote from: fahdiz on April 29, 2009, 12:23:06 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 29, 2009, 12:20:40 PM

2. Rep bullshit.

There used to be

4. Leveling

I guess a lot of the quests seemed to feel very grindy to me.  I know I sunk lots of time into some of them waiting for quest items to drop.

There's a degree to which grinding is a state of mind, too. If you enjoy a game, activities that might otherwise seem grindy tend not to read as grind. If you're wearing out on a game everything starts to seem like grind.

fhdz

Quote from: vinraith on April 29, 2009, 12:24:41 PM
There's a degree to which grinding is a state of mind, too. If you enjoy a game, activities that might otherwise seem grindy tend not to read as grind. If you're wearing out on a game everything starts to seem like grind.

Yeah, that's a really good point.

vinraith

Quote from: fahdiz on April 29, 2009, 12:26:25 PM
Quote from: vinraith on April 29, 2009, 12:24:41 PM

Yeah, that's a really good point.

Comes from hanging around Guild Wars Guru's boards too much. You wouldn't believe the things I've heard people claim are "grind" in that game. At the same time, I've seen people defend something as preposterously grindy as the "drunkard" title as a good time, so there you go.