News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fantasy type MMO

Started by Korea, April 28, 2009, 10:24:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fhdz

Quote from: Korea on April 28, 2009, 12:30:13 PM
I forget what pvp vs pve is. Pve is player against everyone right?

"Player vs. environment".
and the horse you rode in on

Drakken

Quote from: Korea on April 28, 2009, 10:24:23 AM
So, I've gotten kind of bored with WoW and I'm only level 46. I'm wondering what are some other good MMOs out there. Are there any that you currently play or have played that don't suck.

WoW is fun and all but I just go bored with all the backtracking and killing 50 dudes to get one super awesome gem or something. The thing I found most fun were the instances and various runs. But I liked doing it with my friends and not so much the WoWtards.

I don't know if all other MMOs are like this or what since WoW is the only one I've played.

Any recommendations?

EVE. Surrender to the Dark Side, Princess. I know you wanna!  :contract:

Korea

I don't even know what the hell EVE is. It's not fantasy though, right?
I want my mother fucking points!

Korea

So, I am currently playing a trial version of Guild Wars. It's okay. It definitely doesn't feel like an MMO yet though because you cant do much on the trial version. But I've only been playing for like 1-2 hours. I'll play more tonight.

It seems okay but I'm not sure it's worth buying yet. Of course, I'm playing Prophesies and not one of the other ones like Nightfall or whatever. I don't really know the difference.

Berkut

PVE: Player vs. Environmment - basically quests, instances, etc., etc.

PvP: Player vs Player.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

vinraith

Quote from: Korea on April 28, 2009, 01:41:02 PM
So, I am currently playing a trial version of Guild Wars. It's okay. It definitely doesn't feel like an MMO yet though because you cant do much on the trial version. But I've only been playing for like 1-2 hours. I'll play more tonight.

It seems okay but I'm not sure it's worth buying yet. Of course, I'm playing Prophesies and not one of the other ones like Nightfall or whatever. I don't really know the difference.

Well, you're in the "tutorial" area right now, which limits your party size to 2 and keeps things very basic. Ultimately the party size for the bulk of the game is 8, so it's not quite so empty. The other campaigns don't start out quite so gently. There are some other substantial differences between campaigns, but one of the biggest is that Nightfall gives you customizable, semi-controllable AI characters that you can bring to help fill in a party (or play solo, if that's your thing).

All that said GW is firmly a quasi-MMO, what with the instanced areas and such. It may or may not be to your taste, but certainly don't disregard it solely on the basis of the beginning of Prophecies. Does the trial key let you start, say, a Nightfall character? That might be more your speed. You can play any campaign with a character from any campaign, so you never have to play that tutorial region of Prophecies if you don't want to.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Korea on April 28, 2009, 12:35:03 PM
Yeah, I am really wanting to try Lord of the Rings Online.  Is it the Lord of the Rings: Shadow of Angmar game?

Yep, I am pretty sure you can download for a free trial period.

crazy canuck

ps if you do get on the Brandywine Server.  Thats where the languish crew is.

Korea

Quote from: vinraith on April 28, 2009, 02:19:45 PM

Well, you're in the "tutorial" area right now, which limits your party size to 2 and keeps things very basic. Ultimately the party size for the bulk of the game is 8, so it's not quite so empty. The other campaigns don't start out quite so gently. There are some other substantial differences between campaigns, but one of the biggest is that Nightfall gives you customizable, semi-controllable AI characters that you can bring to help fill in a party (or play solo, if that's your thing).

All that said GW is firmly a quasi-MMO, what with the instanced areas and such. It may or may not be to your taste, but certainly don't disregard it solely on the basis of the beginning of Prophecies. Does the trial key let you start, say, a Nightfall character? That might be more your speed. You can play any campaign with a character from any campaign, so you never have to play that tutorial region of Prophecies if you don't want to.

Unfortunately, I can only start a character in Prophesies. I do think that Nightfall sounds awesome. So, if I just bought Nightfall would that do or is it just an expansion pack and I need some kind of basic something first?

Korea

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 28, 2009, 04:35:28 PM
Quote from: Korea on April 28, 2009, 12:35:03 PM
Yeah, I am really wanting to try Lord of the Rings Online.  Is it the Lord of the Rings: Shadow of Angmar game?

Yep, I am pretty sure you can download for a free trial period.

Yeah, I am definitely going to try it once this trial of Guild Wars is done.

vinraith

Quote from: Korea on April 28, 2009, 09:41:19 PM

Unfortunately, I can only start a character in Prophesies. I do think that Nightfall sounds awesome. So, if I just bought Nightfall would that do or is it just an expansion pack and I need some kind of basic something first?

The three main campaigns (Nightfall, Factions, and Prophecies) are all stand alone. Buying the other ones gives you access to the new continent and new skills. The only non-standalone Guild Wars product is Eye of the North, which is an expansion that requires any one of the three base campaigns.

I used to have a Nightfall trial key, though, let me see if I can find it.

Edit: Scrap that, I have a key for Prophecies and a key for Factions, but no key for Nightfall. Damn.

Korea

Quote from: vinraith on April 28, 2009, 11:02:49 PM
Quote from: Korea on April 28, 2009, 09:41:19 PM

The three main campaigns (Nightfall, Factions, and Prophecies) are all stand alone. Buying the other ones gives you access to the new continent and new skills. The only non-standalone Guild Wars product is Eye of the North, which is an expansion that requires any one of the three base campaigns.

I used to have a Nightfall trial key, though, let me see if I can find it.

Edit: Scrap that, I have a key for Prophecies and a key for Factions, but no key for Nightfall. Damn.
Aw, that sucks. But thanks for looking. :)

I am really starting to like this game more and more. I think I may go buy Nightfall.

fhdz

Quote from: Korea on April 29, 2009, 10:03:06 AM
I am really starting to like this game more and more. I think I may go buy Nightfall.

It's very good, and very rarely has that "grindy" quality games like WoW have.
and the horse you rode in on

Richard Hakluyt

vinraith

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 29, 2009, 11:40:10 AM
Hmmm...........the "complete collection" is only £25, and no subscription fees  :cool:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NCsoft-Guild-Wars-Complete-Collection/dp/B001CSMF48/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1241022839&sr=8-1

Might take a look at it.

It never had a fee. :)

And that's a great deal. Let me put it to you this way, I paid about $150 between buying all three campaigns at nearly full price, preordering the expansion, and buying some character slots and whatnot. Despite that, GW still stands trivially as one of the best hour/dollar ratios in the history of my lifetime as a gamer. Last time I checked (although I'm not that active anymore) my account was near the 2000 hour mark. :blush: The only other things I've played that much are Morrowind and EU2.