Started by Queequeg, October 31, 2011, 11:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Story time is closed for the year.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on November 01, 2011, 03:43:43 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on November 01, 2011, 03:42:10 PM
I'd like all wiccans publicly whipped, have a cross burned into their forehead and then sent to a salt mine.

I've heard you say that before. I know a few Wiccans, and yes, they're pretty annoying in general, but your unbridled hatred is intriguing. I do wonder what's led to it... I sense a story here.... :shifty:

Ed has posted about this in the past.  It is a well known story.  But it has nothing to do with his personal life.  You see, he strongly believes the best salt is not that crap that is made from sea water but rather rock salt flavoured with the sweat of the labourer digging it from the ground.  He firmly believes that salt mines should be brought back into production but because such a move would be cost prohibative slave labour is required and what better way to obtain slaves then from an out of favour religious group.   

Sheilbh

Quote from: merithyn on November 01, 2011, 03:36:48 PMIt's a new ideology based in questionable (and downright wrong) history. Does it make it any less important (therefore effective) to the people who practice it? The point of religion is, in my opinion, to give people answers, guidance, and something to believe in. This is one way for people to do it. For many, the fact that it isn't mainstream - the very thing that seems to offend some of you - is probably a huge selling point.
Religion's a rigorous moral and intellectual framework with which you can order your life or it's nothing more than a cuddly wank.  Neo-paganism and general 'spirituality' tends to fall into the latter.

I knid of feel about this stuff like that Tim Minchin song 'Storm' :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Maximus

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 01, 2011, 03:53:25 PM
Religion's a rigorous moral and intellectual framework with which you can order your life or it's nothing more than a cuddly wank.  Neo-paganism and general 'spirituality' tends to fall into the latter.
That seems to describe a very small subset of religions today.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Maximus on November 01, 2011, 03:56:53 PM

Which religions would you consider to be devoid of a rigorous moral and intellectual framework with which one can order their life.

fhdz

Why again are we excited about people rigorously ordering their lives on complete fiction instead of reanalyzing their moral values - and thus behavior - each time they encounter a new moral dilemma?
and the horse you rode in on

Razgovory

What are these majority religions that lack moral and intellectual framework?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

I think it accounts for the vast majority of religions.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: fahdiz on November 01, 2011, 04:00:37 PM
Why again are we excited about people rigorously ordering their lives on complete fiction instead of reanalyzing their moral values - and thus behavior - each time they encounter a new moral dilemma?

How far you have fallen. :(  Moral relativism.  Bleh.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on November 01, 2011, 03:38:56 PM
Quote from: merithyn on November 01, 2011, 03:36:48 PM
It just seems like a weird thing to freak out over.

It's Spellus.  He freaked out over Gnosticism.

Gnostics were the Scientologists of their day.  You had to pay for each new level of enlightenment.

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on November 01, 2011, 04:02:50 PM

Moral relativism is the notion that all moral judgments are equally valid. I don't subscribe to that notion one bit. Please describe to me how what I said constitutes moral relativism.
and the horse you rode in on

Maximus

Quote from: Razgovory on November 01, 2011, 04:00:42 PM
I'll give you moral, that is after all their forte. Very few people base their religion in any sort of intellectual framework, however.  Anecdotally I would say neopagans tend to be more intellectual about their religion than people from mainstream religions. YMMV however.

Razgovory

Quote from: merithyn on November 01, 2011, 03:36:48 PM
I love how all of neo-paganism is lumped together as one belief system when in truth there are hundreds if not thousands of interpretations of the concept. It's like saying that every Christian is a fundy. No, only the loud ones are. I would guess that the same is true of neopagans. The loud ones are the oddballs, while the quiet ones just sort of go about their business.

It's a new ideology based in questionable (and downright wrong) history. Does it make it any less important (therefore effective) to the people who practice it? The point of religion is, in my opinion, to give people answers, guidance, and something to believe in. This is one way for people to do it. For many, the fact that it isn't mainstream - the very thing that seems to offend some of you - is probably a huge selling point.

It just seems like a weird thing to freak out over.

The thing is, neopagans often promote this sort of nebulousness.  Neopagan writing is often vague on details and thrives on blurred lines.  Most religions have rigid guidelines, while neopaganism is sorta like jelly.  They all get lumped together because metaphorically they are a lump.

Razgovory

Quote from: fahdiz on November 01, 2011, 04:05:11 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 01, 2011, 04:02:50 PM

Moral relativism is the notion that all moral judgments are equally valid. I don't subscribe to that notion one bit. Please describe to me how what I said constitutes moral relativism.

Your statement implies constant changing of a moral outlook.  If I shoot someone, and feel good about it afterwords, do I redefine shooting people as "good"?

Razgovory

Quote from: Maximus on November 01, 2011, 04:06:40 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 01, 2011, 04:00:42 PM
I'll give you moral, that is after all their forte. Very few people base their religion in any sort of intellectual framework, however.  Anecdotally I would say neopagans tend to be more intellectual about their religion than people from mainstream religions. YMMV however.

Really?  How are you defining "intellectual framework", here?