News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Neopaganism Is The Worst

Started by Queequeg, October 31, 2011, 11:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on November 03, 2011, 08:12:53 AM
Agreed.  Dawkins, Benedict II, Rowan Williams, the Mother-Earth wiccan weirdos, and all their ilk should restrict their preaching to their flock.  Nobody else wants to hear it.  Anglicanism is not bad as a personal philosophy, but one should keep it to themselves.  Buddhism is not bad as a personal philosophy, but one should keep it to themselves. Etc.

That what Jews have been trying to explain for years.  Yes our religion is a bit odd but it's ours and we mostly don't bother anyone else, except on Sukkot when the ultra-othodox importune passerbys to shake a lulav.  But generally anyone who wants to join is told it's a bad idea.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Caliga

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 03, 2011, 12:04:08 PM
That what Jews have been trying to explain for years.  Yes our religion is a bit odd but it's ours and we mostly don't bother anyone else, except on Sukkot when the ultra-othodox importune passerbys to shake a lulav.  But generally anyone who wants to join is told it's a bad idea.
If you keep begging to join, you are eventually allowed to, though.  Friend of mine converted to Judaism (he was raised Mormon, actually).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

I've had people mistake for a Rabbi.  People who already knew me, and knew that I was not a Rabbi.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

I don't really know why he wanted to convert, and he actually had to go through circumcision to complete the process.  :pinch:

I mean, I know what he told me ("I studied all religions and felt in my heart that this was the true one") but in an interesting coincidence, he happened to be dating a Jewish girl at the time, who he has since married. :hmm:

At one point before becoming a Jew he was also interested in neopaganism, ironically.  He's been a Jew--an Orthodox Jew, no less*--since about 1999 though, so I'm guessing he will stick with it.  He even has earlocks and shit now.

*which is odd since I think Orthodox Jews are less accepting of converts
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ideologue

Sometimes I get my heart and my dick confused too.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on November 03, 2011, 06:58:58 PM

When you pass the bar you won't have this problem anymore.  They remove one of those organs during the induction ceremony.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on November 03, 2011, 06:58:58 PM

One's easily palpable.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on November 03, 2011, 10:30:28 AM
You cannot keep polishing a turd, though. Social cohesion created by religion is a confidence game. Christianity has lost its ability to create social cohesion for the overwhelming majority of the society, and this is irreversible. You can lament this but you cannot do anything about it.
All social cohesion involves manipulation and lies.  Something needs to be done to allow the masses to feel some level of contentment with their lives.

We'll see what happens after the attempt to create social cohesion through consumption fails.  Christianity might make a comeback, or maybe Islam.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.