News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Neopaganism Is The Worst

Started by Queequeg, October 31, 2011, 11:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

QuoteSo says our Halloween litany. For Witches, for those who practice the renewal of the ancient, pre-Christian Goddess religions of Europe and the Middle East, Halloween is our most sacred holiday, our New Year. In Celtic Ireland, Wales and Scotland, Samhain, pronounced 'sau-in', was the time when the sheep and cattle were brought down from the summer fields, when the harvest was gathered in and the dark time of year began. The fruits of the harvest, the blessing of the year's abundance, was shared with the ancestors in the form of offerings which have come down to us in modern times as the candy we give to children-who are the ancestors returning.

Harvest is a time of ending, but also a time of beginning, for the Goddess stands for the great regenerative powers of nature. Out of darkness, light will be born anew. Out of the time of cold and dormancy, new life will return. Death is part of a cycle that brings about rebirth.

In Mexico and Latin America, Halloween converged with indigenous traditions to give us Dia de los Muertos, the Day of the Dead. Families visit the graves of their loved ones to clean them, offer marigolds and libations, and picnic. They set up altars in remembrance. Here in San Francisco, where immigrants are far from their family graves, we set out public altars in the park and hold a huge procession with dancing Calaveras-skulls and skeletons-and thousands of candles. People of all ethnic backgrounds love this tradition!

Today, Halloween, is probably our most celebrated popular holiday, combining as it does the pleasures of sugar, costumes, fantasy and remnants of magic. It's the one night in the year when everyone is out in the street, meeting their neighbors, feeding the children, admiring the little ghosts and princesses and pirates.

While carving the pumpkin or hanging up the decorations, you might stop for a moment and reflect on Halloween's deeper meaning. Whatever your religion or spiritual persuasion, even if the answer is "none at all," take a moment to honor your ancestors, to think about their struggles, the gifts they have given us, the challenges they faced. And take another moment to think about the children and the generations to come. What world are we leaving for them?

Right now, our future may look dark and uncertain. The economy reels like a wavering top, the institutions we've trusted seem to be falling apart or are revealed to be riddled with corruption. The very climate is uncertain, and we can no longer feel sure whether the lives of our children and grandchildren will be better than ours, or far more bleak.

In times like these, it's good to remember what Halloween teaches us: that death is part of the circle of life, that decay gives rise to fertile soil, that endings are followed by new beginnings. One wave must collapse for a new wave to form. Dried stalks fall so that later, green shoots will rise. Ossified ideas, brittle systems give way to new visions. The process may be messy, loud and scary-like any birth. Breathe into it. Release the fear,and trust in the great regenerative powers of nature. Form your own vision of the world you want to bring to birth, and let it gestate in the dark. Then labor to bring it into being. The ancestors will aid you: the generations to come will bless you.

By    Starhawk  |  09:38 AM ET, 10/31/2011

At least Israel and the Roman Empire were real.  This is a religion based upon the misunderstanding of terrible 19th Century Archaeology.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ideologue

But YHWH wasn't real.  Why do you begrudge fools their choice of foolishness?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Maximus

Israel and the Roman empire were real, but Judaism today is not the same religion as King Solomon practiced(if he was real) and Christianity of today is not the Christianity of Imperial Rome and neither of them are the Christianity that Christ taught. Religions change with the perceptions and sensibilities of the people that practice them. To hold one up as more authentic than another is just silly.

The Brain

Few people worship Israel or the Roman Empire.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Razgovory

Quote from: fahdiz on November 01, 2011, 01:10:00 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on November 01, 2011, 12:25:36 AM
Why do you begrudge fools their choice of foolishness?

This.

Well for one thing, they've promoted really screwy anthropology and archeology that's seeped into the mainstream.  Like the idea of the Old European Matriarchy.  Or that the witch hunts of the early modern period killed more people then the Holocaust.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

starbright

To be authentic they need more cred than other religions. I suggest "baptising" members naked in the winter  snow and making all "priests" learn ancient Celtic.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Since HispsterSpellus started the thread, i might as well get this off my chest.

I hate wiccans. Especially the suburban housewife in their 30-40's with their Earthmother crap.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 01, 2011, 07:31:22 AM
Since HispsterSpellus started the thread, i might as well get this off my chest.

I hate wiccans. Especially the suburban housewife in their 30-40's with their Earthmother crap.

That reminds me.  My dad and I brought some money up form my brother (since he's unemployed), and we took him out to eat.  He picked the trendiest place in town some local brewery/pub.  Place was Hipster central.  Bleh.  I ordered a steak and got more veggies then meat.  There was also a 25 min wait to get into the damned place.

Oh, and I made a wiccan angry in college when I laughed at her claim that 20 million witches were burned at the stake during the medieval period.  She did come on to me though, but she was a serious uglo.  She managed combine morbidly obese with with flat chested.  Raz has low standards, but not that fucking low.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 01, 2011, 07:54:10 AM
All wiccans are uggos. Always.

That's my experiences.  They seem to be unusually hirsute bunch.

Richard Hakluyt

Hairy as well as obese and flat chested? Must have been a bloke.

Razgovory

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 01, 2011, 08:15:43 AM

I didn't check the undercarriage to be sure.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Razgovory on November 01, 2011, 08:17:27 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 01, 2011, 08:15:43 AM

I didn't check the undercarriage to be sure.

Sounds like a lucky escape, a good job your aesthetic sensibilities kicked in  :P