And we're back!

Main Menu

Neopaganism Is The Worst

Started by Queequeg, October 31, 2011, 11:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 01, 2011, 01:26:47 PM
Quote from: merithyn on November 01, 2011, 11:25:29 AM
More importantly, how is it the worst of them all? I mean, that particular article is fairly benign. No psuedo-anthropology/archeology. No truly "out there" language about the stars, gods, alternate worlds, etc. I mean seriously, if you feel that way, fine, but find something a bit more obtrusive to be hateful about if you're trying to convince others to feel the same. 

There is something to that.  But then again Christianity for all its faults did give us the Sistine Chapel and helped preserve some modicum of classical learning, and Judaism had Maimonides.  The best you can say about neopaganism is that it is "mostly harmless".

Well, the Nazi ones weren't that harmless.  It is curious that in the 19th century and early 20th several some European intellectuals promoted the ideas of neopaganism as it was in their eyes more authentically European and a robust replacement for the "weak and flabby" Christianity.  Today, it's usually promoted as softer and more understanding then the cruel Christianity.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Maximus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 01, 2011, 01:24:08 PM
Judaism is reasonable close to the religion practiced by Hillel (around the time of the birth of Jesus), not that antiquity in itself is proof of legitimacy.
But that's my point. What makes a religion useful is faith, not historical accuracy.

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 01, 2011, 01:26:47 PM
There is something to that.  But then again Christianity for all its faults did give us the Sistine Chapel and helped preserve some modicum of classical learning, and Judaism had Maimonides.  The best you can say about neopaganism is that it is "mostly harmless".
Is that what religion is supposed to provide? Architecture and classical learning?

Maximus

Quote from: Razgovory on November 01, 2011, 02:32:07 PM
Well, the Nazi ones weren't that harmless.  It is curious that in the 19th century and early 20th several some European intellectuals promoted the ideas of neopaganism as it was in their eyes more authentically European and a robust replacement for the "weak and flabby" Christianity.  Today, it's usually promoted as softer and more understanding then the cruel Christianity.
It's not that curious. People "find" the religion they need, even if it takes some interpretation to get there.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on November 01, 2011, 01:56:56 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 01, 2011, 01:46:56 PM
Twilight's influenced by the author's Mormonism.  I just think the artistic accomplishments of those faiths/cults makes them more worthwhile than this nonsense.

Heh.  It shouldn't be too hard to find some piece of art influenced by earth mother stuff.
Clan of the Cave Bear and its sequels.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: Maximus on November 01, 2011, 02:35:04 PM

Is that what religion is supposed to provide? Architecture and classical learning?

It's a nice side effect.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 01, 2011, 02:50:43 PM
Twilight's influenced by the author's Mormonism.  I just think the artistic accomplishments of those faiths/cults makes them more worthwhile than this nonsense.

Heh.  It shouldn't be too hard to find some piece of art influenced by earth mother stuff.

Ugh.

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on November 01, 2011, 02:56:29 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 01, 2011, 02:50:43 PM

Ugh.
Indeed!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Ugh.

Well keep in mind that it's competition is Twilight and Battlefield: Earth.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on November 01, 2011, 02:58:21 PM
Ugh.

Well keep in mind that it's competition is Twilight and Battlefield: Earth.

What do you get when you combine them all together? A prehistoric, sparkly alien and around $1 billion in royalties?  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on November 01, 2011, 08:46:56 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on November 01, 2011, 07:31:22 AM
Since HispsterSpellus started the thread, i might as well get this off my chest.

I hate wiccans. Especially the suburban housewife in their 30-40's with their Earthmother crap.

Any particular religion/lack of religion you do not hate?

I pretty much dislike everybody.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

merithyn

I love how all of neo-paganism is lumped together as one belief system when in truth there are hundreds if not thousands of interpretations of the concept. It's like saying that every Christian is a fundy. No, only the loud ones are. I would guess that the same is true of neopagans. The loud ones are the oddballs, while the quiet ones just sort of go about their business.

It's a new ideology based in questionable (and downright wrong) history. Does it make it any less important (therefore effective) to the people who practice it? The point of religion is, in my opinion, to give people answers, guidance, and something to believe in. This is one way for people to do it. For many, the fact that it isn't mainstream - the very thing that seems to offend some of you - is probably a huge selling point.

It just seems like a weird thing to freak out over.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on November 01, 2011, 03:36:48 PM
It just seems like a weird thing to freak out over.

It's Spellus.  He freaked out over Gnosticism.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

I'd like all wiccans publicly whipped, have a cross burned into their forehead and then sent to a salt mine.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

merithyn

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 01, 2011, 03:42:10 PM
I'd like all wiccans publicly whipped, have a cross burned into their forehead and then sent to a salt mine.

I've heard you say that before. I know a few Wiccans, and yes, they're pretty annoying in general, but your unbridled hatred is intriguing. I do wonder what's led to it... I sense a story here.... :shifty:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...