News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Neopaganism Is The Worst

Started by Queequeg, October 31, 2011, 11:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

I'm not sure what I was supposed to take from that hot mess of formatting in the opening post.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 01, 2011, 07:31:22 AM
Since HispsterSpellus started the thread, i might as well get this off my chest.

I hate wiccans. Especially the suburban housewife in their 30-40's with their Earthmother crap.

Any particular religion/lack of religion you do not hate?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on November 01, 2011, 08:46:56 AM
Since HispsterSpellus started the thread, i might as well get this off my chest.

I hate wiccans. Especially the suburban housewife in their 30-40's with their Earthmother crap.

Any particular religion/lack of religion you do not hate?

Baptists.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Caliga

Quote from: Ideologue on November 01, 2011, 12:25:36 AM
But YHWH wasn't real.  Why do you begrudge fools their choice of foolishness?
Spells has been judging religions for us since time immemorial (I.e. 2003).  :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on November 01, 2011, 11:14:52 AM
Spells has been judging religions for us since time immemorial (I.e. 2003).  :cool:

He taught us all to hate the Gnostics didn't he?  Dirty Gnostics.

Queequeg

Quote from: garbon on November 01, 2011, 08:38:26 AM
I'm not sure what I was supposed to take from that hot mess of formatting in the opening post.
Fixed.  Sorry about that.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Caliga

His real hate boner is for the Mormons though.  :bowler:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: Queequeg on November 01, 2011, 11:18:30 AM

I still don't see the issue though. If people want to infuse some sort of significance into Halloween - why does that matter to you?

*fixed - I'm not sure why my sentence structure was so bad!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on November 01, 2011, 11:19:39 AM
I still don't see the issue though. If people want to infused some sort of significant into Halloween - why does that matter to you?

More importantly, how is it the worst of them all? I mean, that particular article is fairly benign. No psuedo-anthropology/archeology. No truly "out there" language about the stars, gods, alternate worlds, etc. I mean seriously, if you feel that way, fine, but find something a bit more obtrusive to be hateful about if you're trying to convince others to feel the same.

Just Wiccans, or any of the Neo-Pagan type religions out there? I mean, I'd figure you to be all over the naked druidic types that dance around a fire in their all-together.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Queequeg

QuoteNo psuedo-anthropology/archeology.
Women where at the forefront of the rise of Christianity, because Paganism throughout the entirety of the ancient world was pretty strictly patriarchal, especially those derived  from early Semitic and Indo-European Faiths (read: everywhere outside of the Basque country).  There never were "Goddess religions" anywhere in Europe after the Neolithic, and even that is debatable. 

It's total and complete bullshit, a massive misrepresentation of history.  And it really pisses me off.
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

I still don't see the issue though. If people want to infuse some sort of significance into Halloween - why does that matter to you?

That's not the issue.  Halloween is neat.  The issue is this Goddess bullshit. 

Valmy

Quote from: Queequeg on November 01, 2011, 11:28:50 AM
Women where at the forefront of the rise of Christianity, because Paganism throughout the entirety of the ancient world was pretty strictly patriarchal, especially those derived  from early Semitic and Indo-European Faiths (read: everywhere outside of the Basque country).  There never were "Goddess religions" anywhere in Europe after the Neolithic, and even that is debatable. 

It's total and complete bullshit, a massive misrepresentation of history.  And it really pisses me off.

Well it is not that simple, that women were leaders of Christianity because paganism (whatever that may be) was so very patriarchal, they do sorta go overboard about how Christianity did evil stuff to the ladies.

But that is minor compared to the somewhat hilarious presentation of the 17th century witch trials being persecutions of actual witches.  As if there really was a massive female witch movement going on.

garbon

Quote from: Queequeg on November 01, 2011, 11:32:25 AM

That's not the issue.  Halloween is neat.  The issue is this Goddess bullshit. 

I know that you liked to get worked up over stuff but this really seems like you are making a mountain out of a molehill. As long as they aren't hurting people, who cares about such awful prose?
Quotene wave must collapse for a new wave to form. Dried stalks fall so that later, green shoots will rise. Ossified ideas, brittle systems give way to new visions. The process may be messy, loud and scary-like any birth. Breathe into it. Release the fear,and trust in the great regenerative powers of nature. Form your own vision of the world you want to bring to birth, and let it gestate in the dark. Then labor to bring it into being. The ancestors will aid you: the generations to come will bless you.

Queequeg

I know that you liked to get worked up over stuff but this really seems like you are making a mountain out of a molehill. As long as they aren't hurting people, who cares about such awful prose?
I'm actually not angry so much as annoyed that this kind of bullshit is getting published in a well respected newspaper.  The quality of the writing alone would seem to disqualify it.

Well it is not that simple, that women were leaders of Christianity because paganism (whatever that may be) was so very patriarchal, they do sorta go overboard about how Christianity did evil stuff to the ladies.

There's another thing.  Paganism was extremely diffuse-different towns a few hours away would have slightly different pantheons, or at least hold certain Gods or heroes in respect more than others.  The idea that an Irish town and, say, Utica in modern Tunisia practiced the same "Goddess" focused religion is, well, not so much bad archaeology as Book of Mormon style fantasy.