News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Neopaganism Is The Worst

Started by Queequeg, October 31, 2011, 11:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

Quote from: Queequeg on November 01, 2011, 11:28:50 AM
Women where at the forefront of the rise of Christianity, because Paganism throughout the entirety of the ancient world was pretty strictly patriarchal, especially those derived  from early Semitic and Indo-European Faiths (read: everywhere outside of the Basque country).  There never were "Goddess religions" anywhere in Europe after the Neolithic, and even that is debatable. 

It's total and complete bullshit, a massive misrepresentation of history.  And it really pisses me off.
All religions have their founding myths that misrepresent history(and prehistory).

Barrister

Quote from: Queequeg on November 01, 2011, 11:41:15 AM
There's another thing.  Paganism was extremely diffuse-different towns a few hours away would have slightly different pantheons, or at least hold certain Gods or heroes in respect more than others.  The idea that an Irish town and, say, Utica in modern Tunisia practiced the same "Goddess" focused religion is, well, not so much bad archaeology as Book of Mormon style fantasy.

My own related irk is the similar treatment of native spirituality - how it gets treated as some continent-wide commune with "the Creator", when in fact each community, each band had not only its own distinct language, but its own distinct (and complex) mythology.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

fhdz

Quote from: Maximus on November 01, 2011, 11:41:21 AM
All religions have their founding myths that misrepresent history(and prehistory).

Yes. To be fair, not all misrepresentations are equally misrepresentative. Having said that, the groups Psellus is talking about have absolutely zero clout. Zero. Christianity and Islam have had such force of political power over the centuries that their misrepresentations no longer seem "wacky", because they have become the default misrepresentations.
and the horse you rode in on

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on November 01, 2011, 12:15:09 PM
My own related irk is the similar treatment of native spirituality - how it gets treated as some continent-wide commune with "the Creator", when in fact each community, each band had not only its own distinct language, but its own distinct (and complex) mythology.

Odd most native sprituality stuff in my neck of the woods is driven by native Americans teaching their own culture's particular flavor.  Is there some sort of pan-American native religion drive going on out there?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

So much of what might have been understood about Pagan beliefs was destroyed or lost that it is no wonder that people may have an inaccurate view of what those beliefs might have been.

But before one becomes to critical of that you might want to reflect on the lack of knowledge the average North American Protestant Christian has regarding their own religion and the odd ways in which it is used.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 01, 2011, 12:30:24 PM
But before one becomes to critical of that you might want to reflect on the lack of knowledge the average North American Protestant Christian has regarding their own religion and the odd ways in which it is used.

Boy ain't that the truth.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

fhdz

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 01, 2011, 12:30:24 PM

But that's different!!!*

*warning: may not be different

Ideologue

Quote from: Valmy on November 01, 2011, 12:25:41 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 01, 2011, 12:15:09 PM

Odd most native sprituality stuff in my neck of the woods is driven by native Americans teaching their own culture's particular flavor.  Is there some sort of pan-American native religion drive going on out there?

I am worshipped as Quetzlcoatl in certain circles.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

fhdz

Quote from: Ideologue on November 01, 2011, 12:47:16 PM
I am worshipped as Quetzlcoatl in certain circles.

Are the "certain circles" in question of the Jerk variety?

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

fhdz

Quote from: Ideologue on November 01, 2011, 12:52:19 PM
Stop projecting.

I bet that's what they said at the last circle jerk!

Razgovory

QuoteNo psuedo-anthropology/archeology.
Women where at the forefront of the rise of Christianity, because Paganism throughout the entirety of the ancient world was pretty strictly patriarchal, especially those derived  from early Semitic and Indo-European Faiths (read: everywhere outside of the Basque country).  There never were "Goddess religions" anywhere in Europe after the Neolithic, and even that is debatable. 

It's total and complete bullshit, a massive misrepresentation of history.  And it really pisses me off.

The whole universal neolithic Goddess thing is absurd.  There's not really much evidence of that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

Quote from: Razgovory on November 01, 2011, 01:14:16 PM
QuoteNo psuedo-anthropology/archeology.

The whole universal neolithic Goddess thing is absurd.  There's not really much evidence of that.
I think there's some evidence that the pantheon of pre/early Indo-European Europe was focused a bit more on the worship of female deities, and that the society was a bit more matriarchal. The Basques seem to have very different attitudes towards the rights of women than most traditional European societies. 

Still agree though.  There is no evidence for a unified cult of a Goddess in 8,000 BC, let alone in Celtic Europe.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Maximus on November 01, 2011, 12:28:50 AM
Judaism today is not the same religion as King Solomon practiced(if he was real)

Judaism is reasonable close to the religion practiced by Hillel (around the time of the birth of Jesus), not that antiquity in itself is proof of legitimacy.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson