News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

FAIL Britannia

Started by Caliga, October 28, 2011, 06:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on October 28, 2011, 09:22:28 PM
I'm openly atheist.  It's worked out great.

You can forget about being King of Great Britain then.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tonitrus

Quote from: Valmy on October 28, 2011, 09:54:12 PM

How about Bishop of Canterbury?

Valmy

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 28, 2011, 10:28:11 PM
How about Bishop of Canterbury?

I think that is a requirement actually.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ideologue

Quote from: Valmy on October 28, 2011, 09:54:12 PM

My King Ralph fantasies are punctured. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

It is a logical move however I can't help but be slightly annoyed by it. It is just the conservatives trying to score easy political points.
The moment such a thing became a concern we could have enacted the changes then.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on October 28, 2011, 11:04:23 PM
It is a logical move however I can't help but be slightly annoyed by it. It is just the conservatives trying to score easy political points.
The moment such a thing became a concern we could have enacted the changes then.

:rolleyes:

Either something is a good idea or not.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Viking

Quote from: citizen k on October 28, 2011, 05:52:14 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 28, 2011, 04:15:22 PM
Quote from: Solmyr on October 28, 2011, 04:14:02 PM
Protestants, failing at separation of church and state since 1517.

When is the last time the Americans elected an openly atheist President. :hmm:

America will have elected the first non-Christian president in its history if Romney wins.

Jefferson and Madison were Deists, that's not Christian either.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

dps

Quote from: Barrister on October 29, 2011, 12:04:09 AM

Well, he's the type that's going to be annoyed by people doing the logical thing.

Josquius

Not really.
It was already pretty much taken for granted that this would be the case should William's first kid be a girl. Would have been so for decades (assuming a high ranked heir could have been born in the last few decades). The Tories have jumped the gun here to score points though. Cheaply trying to show their nice side.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

I don't think that's it Tyr.  British governments have been thinking about this since the 50s and I think the talks with the Commonwealth and Palace have been going on for 5 years as to what sort of things should be in the law.  This isn't the sort of thing the Tories could just do because they wanted to look good, it's been in the works under three PMs and was first discussed when Eden was around.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

Quote from: Tyr on October 29, 2011, 05:38:01 AM

Not really.
It was already pretty much taken for granted that this would be the case should William's first kid be a girl. Would have been so for decades (assuming a high ranked heir could have been born in the last few decades). The Tories have jumped the gun here to score points though. Cheaply trying to show their nice side.

:wacko:  If a Labour government had made this change without a pressing need for it, can you honestly state that you would disapprove because they're trying to score cheap points?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sheilbh

Quote from: Habbaku on October 29, 2011, 10:34:57 AM:wacko:  If a Labour government had made this change without a pressing need for it, can you honestly state that you would disapprove because they're trying to score cheap points?
Labour government wouldn't need to score cheap points on constitutional modernisation or gender equality - they're part of the brand anyway.  Apparently the polling suggests the Tories have a problem with women votes.  So they could benefit from scoring cheap points.
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

That's the worst time to make changes; when everyone is concerned with an issue, they start to take sides and even excellent ideas stand or fall based on who benefits, rather than on their intrinsic excellence.  Right now is the perfect time to enact this reform, because no one cares and no one benefits. 

If it irritates you, that is just a side bonus.  :P
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Richard Hakluyt

Interesting that Cameron got all the other interested countries to back him in this cheap bid for popularity  :hmm:

Nah, it's going to go through on the nod, in 16 countries IIRC, because the next three in line to the throne all happen to be male anyway, so it is going to be a hell of a long time before it makes a difference.