News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

FAIL Britannia

Started by Caliga, October 28, 2011, 06:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

To hell with tradition, eh?  Might as well scrap the whole monarchy thing while you're at it :angry:

If they end up with a Catholic on the throne, that's it-- I'm shopping around for another mother country.  Yeah, I went there.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Drakken

Quote from: derspiess on October 28, 2011, 09:55:12 AM
If they end up with a Catholic on the throne, that's it-- I'm shopping around for another mother country.  Yeah, I went there.

Won't happen, Royals are still forbidden to be or convert to Catholicism.

Valmy

To hell with tradition, eh?  Might as well scrap the whole monarchy thing while you're at it :angry:

Step away from the ledge Protty boy.  The monarch can only marry a Catholic if he/she wants.  The kids and the monarch must be Anglicans.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

dps

Reading comprehension FAIL!

derspiess

Quote from: dps on October 28, 2011, 10:02:34 AM

Reading comprehension FAIL!

I read it.  What I'm saying is the new law could eventually lead to a Catholic on the throne. 

The Act of Settlement was passed for a reason, people!! :angry:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Sensible move, really - overall the Queens have done better than the Kings.  Why not reinforce success?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 28, 2011, 10:09:45 AM
Sensible move, really - overall the Queens have done better than the Kings.  Why not reinforce success?

Well of the monarchs who actually had any power I guess it is whether you like Elizabeth vs. the field.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on October 28, 2011, 09:47:38 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 28, 2011, 09:43:20 AM
Having a Jewish monarch would be great, it would annoy so many people who richly deserve to be annoyed  :D

He or she could have a great Biblical name, too. King David the First. That would set the ultra-religious off in an apocalyptic frenzy.  :lol:

Alas, it is not to be, unless the regs are changed some more ...

Its funny how eveyrone quickly agreed that in this modern age it is unthinkable to restrict the gender of the monarch and who they might marry but it is perfectly fine to ensure the monarch themselves have the proper religion.

The Minsky Moment

I don't see why it should be limited to monarchs who had power, particularly since the argument is over what the rules should be for future monarchs without power.  Just because the monarchs lack formal political power doesn't mean there still aren't good and bad ones.  For example, QE2 has been pretty good; Edward VIII, not good.  Victoria - good; George IV, not so good.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 28, 2011, 10:17:52 AM
I don't see why it should be limited to monarchs who had power, particularly since the argument is over what the rules should be for future monarchs without power.  Just because the monarchs lack formal political power doesn't mean there still aren't good and bad ones.  For example, QE2 has been pretty good; Edward VIII, not good.  Victoria - good; George IV, not so good.

I thought George V and George VI really stepped up in their nation's biggest moments of peril.  But you cannot really give them credit for it anymore than you can give QE2 or Victoria credit for how Britain has done under their ceremonial leadership.

Edward VII wasn't too shabby as a figure head either but I am naturally biased towards him because he put his limited influence behind the Entente.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 28, 2011, 09:31:32 AM
You may have missed the bit about Catholics being allowed back into the Royal Family.
The issue on which the jacobites differed from their opponents wasn't whether the royalty could have catholic family members.  It was over the succession to the throne, not whether some Catholic would be a Royal Highness as the Duchess of Windsor.  In fact, Princess Michael of Kent is both catholic and titled Her Royal Highness, so she is a member of the royal family as a catholic.  No Jacobin issue there.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on October 28, 2011, 10:12:35 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 28, 2011, 10:09:45 AM

Well of the monarchs who actually had any power I guess it is whether you like Elizabeth vs. the field.

There's also Mary.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on October 28, 2011, 10:25:46 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 28, 2011, 10:17:52 AM

I thought George V and George VI really stepped up in their nation's biggest moments of peril.  But you cannot really give them credit for it anymore than you can give QE2 or Victoria credit for how Britain has done under their ceremonial leadership.

Edward VII wasn't too shabby as a figure head either but I am naturally biased towards him because he put his limited influence behind the Entente.

Well the Kings had subtle power, the ability to shift public opinion and spread goodwill.  Ed 6 proved a master of this touring France.  It's a shame he was not able to convince his morbidly suspicious nephew that Britain wasn't plating against Germany.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on October 28, 2011, 10:47:47 AM
Ed 6 proved a master of this touring France. 

Did he ever even leave the British isles?
--Joan Robinson

KRonn

Well, it's about time! There have been some pretty impressive Queens of England, Elizabeth, Victoria, so I'm just surprised that this has taken so long!

Queen Victoria even has a computer game named after her!    ;)