News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

FAIL Britannia

Started by Caliga, October 28, 2011, 06:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on October 28, 2011, 08:06:16 AM
Actually, I think the most modern concept would be to have an elective monarchy, with the monarch being elected from eligible offspring of the previous monarch.

And give the monarchy some form of elected legitimacy to actually do something as Head of State other than appear at official functions?

Drakken

Quote from: Martinus on October 28, 2011, 08:06:16 AM
Actually, I think the most modern concept would be to have an elective monarchy, with the monarch being elected from eligible offspring of the previous monarch.

As royalist as I may be, it's a fair compromise for a strong monarchy.

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on October 28, 2011, 09:07:17 AM
Quote from: Barrister on October 28, 2011, 08:32:04 AM
Those fools!

They have fallen for the Jacobite plot!
:lol:  It was the jacobites who objected to Mary ascending the throne ahead of her younger brother.  If this was a plot, it was a plot against Jacobism.

You may have missed the bit about Catholics being allowed back into the Royal Family.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 28, 2011, 09:31:32 AM
Quote from: grumbler on October 28, 2011, 09:07:17 AM
Quote from: Barrister on October 28, 2011, 08:32:04 AM
Those fools!

They have fallen for the Jacobite plot!
:lol:  It was the jacobites who objected to Mary ascending the throne ahead of her younger brother.  If this was a plot, it was a plot against Jacobism.

You may have missed the bit about Catholics being allowed back into the Royal Family.

What about  :Joos ? Can we have a real-life Jewish princess?  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Drakken

They aren't allowed back, they are allowed to be married into the Royal Family. If the member becomes Catholic he or she loses his/her succession rights.

Pretty much sure that if such a man/woman married to a Catholic would ascend to the throne they would simply be prince/princess consort. Plus, it's implied the children should still be raised Anglican.

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on October 28, 2011, 09:33:45 AM
What about  :Joos ? Can we have a real-life Jewish princess?  :D

If she marries a Catholic then a Nazi will be reigning over Britain.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Drakken

To be fair, as least the current order of succession is maintained. It has been made in a fair and honest way for all members, Kate and William's scion still not born, contrarily to Sweden where Carl Philip was actually deprived of his title of heir apparent in favor of his older sister Victoria by changes to the Swedish Act of Succession in 1980.

Malthus

Heh, reading the article again, the actual monarch must still be Anglican (no Catholics or Jews) but they can already marry some hebe if they want to.

QuoteOn scrapping the ban on future monarchs marrying Roman Catholics, Mr Cameron said: "Let me be clear, the monarch must be in communion with the Church of England because he or she is the head of that Church. But it is simply wrong they should be denied the chance to marry a Catholic if they wish to do so. After all, they are already quite free to marry someone of any other faith."
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Drakken on October 28, 2011, 09:38:37 AM
To be fair, as least the current order of succession is maintained and it has been made in a fair way for all members, contrarily to Sweden where Karl Philip was actually deprived of his title of heir apparent in favor of his older sister Victoria by changes to the Swedish Act of Succession in 1980.

Yes, it is a good time to do it as there are no immediate effects. If William and Kate have a daughter first then it would be best to get the necessary legislation passed in case their second-born was a son.

The Brain

Quote from: Drakken on October 28, 2011, 09:38:37 AM
To be fair, as least the current order of succession is maintained. It has been made in a fair and honest way for all members, Kate and William's scion still not born, contrarily to Sweden where Carl Philip was actually deprived of his title of heir apparent in favor of his older sister Victoria by changes to the Swedish Act of Succession in 1980.

CP dodged a bullet.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Malthus on October 28, 2011, 09:39:05 AM
Heh, reading the article again, the actual monarch must still be Anglican (no Catholics or Jews) but they can already marry some hebe if they want too.

QuoteOn scrapping the ban on future monarchs marrying Roman Catholics, Mr Cameron said: "Let me be clear, the monarch must be in communion with the Church of England because he or she is the head of that Church. But it is simply wrong they should be denied the chance to marry a Catholic if they wish to do so. After all, they are already quite free to marry someone of any other faith."

Having a Jewish monarch would be great, it would annoy so many people who richly deserve to be annoyed  :D

Drakken

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 28, 2011, 09:41:14 AM
Yes, it is a good time to do it as there are no immediate effects. If William and Kate have a daughter first then it would be best to get the necessary legislation passed in case their second-born was a son.

It would also have to be passed quickly in all 15 other Parliaments, Canada included. And I predict it will open a can of political worms here because Monarchy is quite unpopular, even in the ROC, even though we have quite a monarchist Prime Minister right now.  :)

Thank God for the Crown that it takes unanimous consent of all provinces to get rid of Monarchy here in Canada.

Malthus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 28, 2011, 09:43:20 AM
Having a Jewish monarch would be great, it would annoy so many people who richly deserve to be annoyed  :D

He or she could have a great Biblical name, too. King David the First. That would set the ultra-religious off in an apocalyptic frenzy.  :lol:

Alas, it is not to be, unless the regs are changed some more ...

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on October 28, 2011, 09:47:38 AM
He or she could have a great Biblical name, too. King David the First. That would set the ultra-religious off in an apocalyptic frenzy.  :lol:

I was thinking of Prince David of Wales.  Now that is old school.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Drakken

Quote from: Malthus on October 28, 2011, 09:47:38 AM

It'd be fair game, there has been a David, King of the Scots. And James/Jacob is, originally, a Hebrew name.