Main Menu

FAIL Britannia

Started by Caliga, October 28, 2011, 06:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solmyr

I'm still rooting for King Edmund III.

Drakken

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 28, 2011, 10:09:45 AM
Sensible move, really - overall the Queens have done better than the Kings.  Why not reinforce success?

Of course. With such overwhelming historical successes as Mathilda, Anne, and Mary I Tudor, the sky is the limit!

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 28, 2011, 10:38:53 AM
There's also Mary.

You mean William III, of course.

Quote from: Solmyr on October 28, 2011, 12:48:20 PM
I'm still rooting for King Edmund III.

I'm still rooting for King John. He was just a misunderstood lamb of a lad.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Drakken on October 28, 2011, 01:13:44 PM

No, I meant Lizzie's elder sister.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 28, 2011, 10:17:43 AM

Its funny how eveyrone quickly agreed that in this modern age it is unthinkable to restrict the gender of the monarch and who they might marry but it is perfectly fine to ensure the monarch themselves have the proper religion.

I don't know how ceremonial it is at this point, but isn't the monarch the head of the Church of England? It wouldn't make sense to have a catholic leader of the Church of Egland, would it?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Drakken

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 28, 2011, 01:19:09 PM
Quote from: Drakken on October 28, 2011, 01:13:44 PM

No, I meant Lizzie's elder sister.

You're joking, right? Lady Jane Grey in less then ten days was a better Queen than Mary's whole reign.

Drakken

Quote from: alfred russel on October 28, 2011, 01:25:10 PM
I don't know how ceremonial it is at this point, but isn't the monarch the head of the Church of England? It wouldn't make sense to have a catholic leader of the Church of Egland, would it?

The Act of Settlement is still in place, the Monarch and blood members of the Royal Family are still required to be Anglican.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Drakken on October 28, 2011, 09:45:29 AM
It would also have to be passed quickly in all 15 other Parliaments, Canada included. And I predict it will open a can of political worms here because Monarchy is quite unpopular, even in the ROC, even though we have quite a monarchist Prime Minister right now.  :)

Are there polls that you can link to that prove this?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

crazy canuck

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 28, 2011, 01:38:41 PM
It would also have to be passed quickly in all 15 other Parliaments, Canada included. And I predict it will open a can of political worms here because Monarchy is quite unpopular, even in the ROC, even though we have quite a monarchist Prime Minister right now.  :)

I would be surprised if there were.

Drakken

A whole wiki-link of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debate_on_the_monarchy_in_Canada#2010

In May 2010, a poll by Angus Reid found that more than two-thirds of Canadians, a 69% majority, would like to see a Canadian serving as Canada's head of state, and a 52% majority of Canadians support reopening the constitutional debate to discuss replacing the monarchy with an elected head of state, while only 32% oppose doing so. Despite 69% of Canadians having a "mostly favourable" opinion of Queen Elizabeth II as a person, only one third, 33%, of Canadians preferred Canada to remain a monarchy - the plurality 36% of Canadians said they would prefer to have an elected head of state, another 21% were indifferent, and 11% were unsure. When asked who they would prefer as a monarch after Queen Elizabeth II, three-in-ten Canadians responded by saying there should be no monarch after her. 31% of Canadians also want members of the Royal Family to stop visiting Canada.[62]

Also in May 2010, an online poll by Leger Marketing for QMI Agency found that majority 59% of Canadians said that they had little or no interest in the Queen's visit to Canada, while 39% did. The poll found that only 32% of 18 to 34 year-olds had an attachment to the crown. In the 65-and-over group, 46% reported an attachment. One fifth of Canadians said the Queen should stay home, and that furthermore, "Canada should sever its ties with the British Crown".[3]

In June 2010, a national poll by the Association for Canadian Studies found decidedly lukewarm feelings about the concept of monarchy. The survey found that 49% of Canadians had a negative reaction to the word "monarchy", compared to just 41% with a positive reaction. In the Maritimes, where the Queen would begin her Canadian visit, the majority 60% registered a negative opinion of monarchy, compared to only 37% positive. (The poll did not refer to the Canadian monarchy or to the Queen specifically, but to the concept of monarchy.)[3]

A poll by Ipsos-Reid, also in June 2010, found that the majority two-in-three Canadians agree the royal family should not have any formal role in Canadian society, and reported growing sentiment that Elizabeth II should be Canada's last monarch. The majority 58% of Canadians want Canada to end ties to monarchy when Queen Elizabeth II's reign ends, and the majority 62% of Canadians believe that Canada's head of state should be the Governor General, not the Queen.[63][64]

A fifth poll, conducted by Harris-Decima for The Canadian Press a few days ahead of the Queen's nine-day visit to Canada in June, found that nearly half of Canadians, 48%, consider the monarchy to be "a relic of our colonial past that has no place in Canada today." The poll also found that 44% of Canadians want a national referendum to decide whether Canada should keep the monarchy.[65]

An Angus Reid poll just after the Queen's visit found that 36% of Canadians want Canada to remain a monarchy, 30% prefer having an elected head of state, and 21% felt it made no difference to them.[66]

Grey Fox

http://www.angus-reid.com/polls/38986/feelings_about_monarchy_split_canadians/

I would not say it is unpopular but it isn't a wash.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Drakken on October 28, 2011, 01:28:25 PM
You're joking, right? Lady Jane Grey in less then ten days was a better Queen than Mary's whole reign.

I don't believe I said anything whatsoever regarding the quality of her reign.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Drakken on October 28, 2011, 09:35:27 AM
They aren't allowed back, they are allowed to be married into the Royal Family. If the member becomes Catholic he or she loses his/her succession rights.

Pretty much sure that if such a man/woman married to a Catholic would ascend to the throne they would simply be prince/princess consort. Plus, it's implied the children should still be raised Anglican.

seems like a breach of his/her human rights. Freedom of religion as well as no discrimination because of religion when doing you job. :p

Drakken

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on October 28, 2011, 01:57:25 PM
seems like a breach of his/her human rights. Freedom of religion as well as no discrimination because of religion when doing you job. :p

It doesn't apply if your job needs to be of a certain religion, like Head of the Anglican Church or the Pope.

Viking

Thank God for the Crown that it takes unanimous consent of all provinces to get rid of Monarchy here in Canada.

I presume that was the condition the Newfies demanded to agree to join canada?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

alfred russel

Quote from: Drakken on October 28, 2011, 01:30:16 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on October 28, 2011, 01:25:10 PM

The Act of Settlement is still in place, the Monarch and blood members of the Royal Family are still required to be Anglican.

My point was that if it is a religious position as well as a state one, it makes sense to have religious requirements beyond simple religious bigotry.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014