Main Menu

FAIL Britannia

Started by Caliga, October 28, 2011, 06:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: alfred russel on October 28, 2011, 02:43:38 PM
Quote from: Drakken on October 28, 2011, 01:30:16 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on October 28, 2011, 01:25:10 PM
I don't know how ceremonial it is at this point, but isn't the monarch the head of the Church of England? It wouldn't make sense to have a catholic leader of the Church of Egland, would it?

The Act of Settlement is still in place, the Monarch and blood members of the Royal Family are still required to be Anglican.

You are quite right, the monarch is the head of the Church of England, which is still the established church, it is not bigotry to expect him/her to be an Anglican. At some point the Church will be disestablished I suppose.......not at all sure of the ramifications of that  :hmm:

My point was that if it is a religious position as well as a state one, it makes sense to have religious requirements beyond simple religious bigotry.

Solmyr

Protestants, failing at separation of church and state since 1517.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Solmyr on October 28, 2011, 04:14:02 PM

When is the last time the Americans elected an openly atheist President. :hmm:

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 28, 2011, 04:15:22 PM

QED
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 28, 2011, 02:53:11 PM
I don't know how ceremonial it is at this point, but isn't the monarch the head of the Church of England? It wouldn't make sense to have a catholic leader of the Church of Egland, would it?

The Act of Settlement is still in place, the Monarch and blood members of the Royal Family are still required to be Anglican.

You are quite right, the monarch is the head of the Church of England, which is still the established church, it is not bigotry to expect him/her to be an Anglican. At some point the Church will be disestablished I suppose.......not at all sure of the ramifications of that  :hmm:

My point was that if it is a religious position as well as a state one, it makes sense to have religious requirements beyond simple religious bigotry.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

The same time they elected a Martian president.  :secret:

I can play the non sequitur game, too!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

citizen k

America will have elected the first non-Christian president in its history if Romney wins.

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on October 28, 2011, 05:47:01 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 28, 2011, 02:53:11 PM

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: citizen k on October 28, 2011, 05:52:14 PM

America will have elected the first non-Christian president in its history if Romney wins.

Obama is both an atheist and Muslim.  Also he's part of a Christian cult.  The man is versatile.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

That would be Kennedy.
/derspiess
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

citizen k

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 28, 2011, 06:02:17 PM

That would be Kennedy.
/derspiess

Catholics are Christians, you Calvinist nutjob.

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on October 28, 2011, 05:49:05 PM
The same time they elected a Martian president.  :secret:

Actually the chances of Americans voting for a Martian are greater.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 28, 2011, 06:11:23 PM
Actually the chances of Americans voting for a Martian are greater.
Sure.  You and Marti should write a book about everything you know about America.  At least it would be cheap to print, having just the front and back covers.  :rolleyes:

Bayraktar!

Ideologue

I'm openly atheist.  It's worked out great.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)