American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

QuoteWife accidentally kills husband during gun lesson: Police

A fun night for a Pennsylvania couple turned deadly after police say the woman accidentally shot and killed her husband.

On Friday, around 9 p.m., police say Michael Wanko, 43, and Michele Wanko, 42, were "casually drinking" vodka and lemonade together inside their home on West Roland Road in Parkside, Penn. Around 3:30 a.m., police say the couple went into their basement so that Michael could show his wife how to use a semiautomatic pistol. The couple went into a work room where several weapons were kept inside a safe.

"He took several of the weapons out, handguns and was demonstrating to her how the weapon worked as far as taking the magazine out, making sure it was safe, and how to pull the slide back," said Parkside Police Chief John Egan.

As Michael reached into a safe to grab a gun, police say Michele picked up another gun and pulled the slide back, just as her husband had instructed her.

"When she let go of the slide, the weapon went off," said Chief Egan.

Michael was struck in the upper chest. At the time, police say, the couple's 2-year-old and 5-year-old sons were sleeping upstairs. Police say the 5-year-old was awakened by his mother's frantic screams as she called 911.

Police arrived at the home around 4 a.m. Michael was taken to Crozer-Chester Medical Center where he was pronounced dead shortly after.

Michele was charged with involuntary manslaughter, aggravated assault and possessing an instrument of crime. She was processed at the Chester City Jail and released on $250,000 unsecured bail. Her two children are currently staying with relatives.

Police say the gun Michele used was turned over to the Delaware County ballistics unit where investigators would "ascertain if the weapon malfunctioned or if it operated properly."

Neighbors described the Wanko family as "nice people" who always did things with their children and were well respected throughout the neighborhood. Chief Egan says police were called to their home a year ago for a domestic dispute but that it was only "a shouting match between the two." No one was charged in that incident.

DGuller

I guess she learned a valuable lesson, so mission accomplished.

Syt

A guy in Vienna recently blew his brain out when he toyed with a pistol he possessed illegally. Apparently he had overlooked that there was still a bullet in the chamber.

My Scottish colleague was recently at a shooting range in Bratislava and had good fun. I'm kinda tempted to organize an outing with friends.

http://kingofshooting.com/bratislava/shooting-packages
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Quote from: Syt on April 28, 2013, 11:41:27 PM
A guy in Vienna recently blew his brain out when he toyed with a pistol he possessed illegally. Apparently he had overlooked that there was still a bullet in the chamber.

My Scottish colleague was recently at a shooting range in Bratislava and had good fun. I'm kinda tempted to organize an outing with friends.

http://kingofshooting.com/bratislava/shooting-packages

If you go make sure to get one of the packages that includes the Russian TT.  With the 7.62x25 ammo (basically a hotter version of 7.63mm Mauser) they put out a nice little fireball with each shot.

I do like some of the names of the shooting packages:

"Do it! Shoot them!"

''Shut up You trash!''

"Beginning of the end!"

"Please, don't do it!"

"Kill the bastards and save the planet!"

"Now You gonna pay for Your mistakes!"
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

Drinking and firearms don't go together, kids.  :P

Good grief, when are we going to teach gun safety in school...
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

Sounds like the only controversy is having to stoop to getting a detracting comment from someone in a university ethnic studies department.

garbon

I think it is a little odd to draw a comparison to what happened to native Americans and what would happen if there were stricter gun control laws.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on April 30, 2013, 07:11:56 AM
I think it is a little odd to draw a comparison to what happened to native Americans and what would happen if there were stricter gun control laws.

Pretty ironical, since the NRA was resolutely supportive of gun control when it came to groups like AIM in the 1970s.  Funny how that happens when brown people are involved.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 30, 2013, 08:36:14 AM

Pretty ironical, since the NRA was resolutely supportive of gun control when it came to groups like AIM in the 1970s.  Funny how that happens when brown people are involved.

Is that their position now?  No?  Then STFU.

Thinking of getting my life membership before the $300 promotion ends Thursday :hmm:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on April 30, 2013, 09:10:30 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 30, 2013, 08:36:14 AM

Is that their position now?  No?  Then STFU.

Was it in 1879, when that picture was taken?  No?  Then STFU, Custer.

QuoteThinking of getting my life membership before the $300 promotion ends Thursday :hmm:

Because they showed how well that money was spent in the 2012 campaigns.  :lol:  You're better off spending it on more ammo.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 30, 2013, 09:13:31 AM
Was it in 1879, when that picture was taken?  No?  Then STFU, Custer.

Maybe their position evolved, like our President's did on a different issue.

QuoteBecause they showed how well that money was spent in the 2012 campaigns.  :lol: 

THINGS COULD HAVE BEEN WORSE

QuoteYou're better off spending it on more ammo.

I have enough of a stockpile for now.  Probably buy more though if I hit the AIM Surplus lottery on sanely-priced ammo or my Walmart mole calls me to tell me they got some in.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on April 30, 2013, 09:27:55 AM

I'm sure they're completely supportive of the New Black Panther Party's 2nd Amendment rights.  :lol: :P

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 30, 2013, 09:32:32 AM
Quote from: derspiess on April 30, 2013, 09:27:55 AM

I'm sure they're completely supportive of the New Black Panther Party's 2nd Amendment rights.  :lol: :P

THATS NOT WHAT THE FRAMERS HAD IN MIND. THEY WERENT EVEN FULL PEOPLE.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.